Travel trailer towing MPG

Deleted member 1634

Never planned on getting one this big... didn't even know they made them this big myself. It's a Jayco Select 14HW

King bed up front, Queen in the back. Also have the dinette and Jack knife sofa for beds for a total of sleeping up to 8.

Also has Double Sink, Oven/Stove, Fridge, Micro, Full bathroom, Heater, Water Heater and A/C. Plus a huge storage box up front, dual Propane tanks, electric brakes and even a slide for the Dinette.
I mean, I've seen some big ones out there on our camping travels over the years, but I didn't realize they got this big. A slide out on a pop-up is just insane to me. haha I'm sure it's more of an ordeal to setup than the 30 year old "mini" one we were in as kids, but how much extra work is it? I mean, I suppose you're still doing it so it must not be that bad, but seems like quite a few extra components. Looks really nice though!

Why'd you go with this type of rig as opposed to an equally heavy hard-sided one? Bed space?
Sponsored

Travis11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Tacoma
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109s.5,000 loaded, 8’ wide and 21’ long. 11.5 average highway, interstate and backroads

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
Just did a two week trip through northern California, Oregon, and Washington towing a ~4500 lb travel trailer (3800 lbs unloaded) with several mountain passes around 5-6000ft and averaged around 11 mpg while towing. We did not carry bikes on the roof this trip. The Ranger handled so well we are thinking about upgrading the trailer to something bigger in the 6000lb (5k uvw) range. Very pleased with this truck as a tow vehicle.
IMG_3023.jpg
Nice set up. Wife and I bought our Ranger with the idea of getting a TT to tow around on family vacations. Nothing full-time or anything close. Rather, we're thinking of 3-4 multi day trips around the west coast and southwest per year and occasional weekends to our more local sites.

Anyway, I'm doing a lot of research and the opinions are all over the place. We're between a shorter (17ft box) trailer and a slightly longer (21ft box) TT. We're leaning toward the slightly larger one because it'll give our family room to grow or to bring 1-2 of our son's friends along when we get away. It's the Keystone Bullet 2200bh (https://www.keystonerv.com/product/bullet-crossfire/comfort-travel-trailers/floorplans/2200BH).

Looks like you've had a positive experience with the rig in the photo. What are the specs? How did it handle in wind and on mountain roads?

Do you think the Keystone I linked above would be overdoing it? It comes in at ~4100lbs when empty. I figure about 1,500lbs of max add'l weight when we load up our stuff. We don't tend to overpack (clothes, food, foldable canvas camping chairs, drinks, fishing gear, and some basic things to entertain the kiddo). Of course, we'd make sure to get a proper WDH and a trailer brake control for the truck. I just want to make sure that the truck feels secure towing a TT behind it and isn't tossed around so bad that we regret the purchase.

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
Nice set up. Wife and I bought our Ranger with the idea of getting a TT to tow around on family vacations. Nothing full-time or anything close. Rather, we're thinking of 3-4 multi day trips around the west coast and southwest per year and occasional weekends to our more local sites.

Anyway, I'm doing a lot of research and the opinions are all over the place. We're between a shorter (17ft box) trailer and a slightly longer (21ft box) TT. We're leaning toward the slightly larger one because it'll give our family room to grow or to bring 1-2 of our son's friends along when we get away. It's the Keystone Bullet 2200bh (https://www.keystonerv.com/product/bullet-crossfire/comfort-travel-trailers/floorplans/2200BH).

Looks like you've had a positive experience with the rig in the photo. What are the specs? How did it handle in wind and on mountain roads?

Do you think the Keystone I linked above would be overdoing it? It comes in at ~4100lbs when empty. I figure about 1,500lbs of max add'l weight when we load up our stuff. We don't tend to overpack (clothes, food, foldable canvas camping chairs, drinks, fishing gear, and some basic things to entertain the kiddo). Of course, we'd make sure to get a proper WDH and a trailer brake control for the truck. I just want to make sure that the truck feels secure towing a TT behind it and isn't tossed around so bad that we regret the purchase.
In my experience, you will be fine pulling what you listed in your post. I’ve been pulling very similar set up and the Ranger is perfect for this size trailer IMHO. I camp very similar to you…a few long trips per year plus a few more local. I just pulled out to the local place and got about 16 mpg. On Interstate 5 a month ago, I was getting about 13.5 mpg going about 60 mph.
good luck on your quest. I think you’re in the right range. Biggest warning is do not buy more trailer than your rig can handle.

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Drove my new Rockwood 2104S up the California and Oregon coast and then back down the I5 corridor. Weigh scale listed the trailer at 5300Lbs loaded. Had 5 people in the car and the bed full of stuff.

Gas mileage: ~9MPG

With just my wife and I and the trailer, I got about 11-12. Unfortunately it means I needed to stop every 2.5 hours or so to get gas but it tows it like a pro.

1597250487259.png
Now that's an honest result. That's the kind of mileage we get.
Sponsored