How much does travel trailer width affect towing?

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
Comparing something narrower like a R-pod at about 7 foot wide vs a 8 or 8.5 wide trailer.

I know Ford says to take frontal area of the trailer into consideration but I don't know how that is actually calculated.

I've got a 16' scamp right now, its narrow and I get about 15 mpg with it. It's too small though, looking at going a bit bigger.
Sponsored

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I haven't looked at what Ford uses for their frontal area calculation/restriction. On our Jeep Wrangler, there was a maximum frontal area spec and it was just a simple outside dimension HxW of the frontal area, regardless of aero shape up front. To be honest, I have never read where Ford specs it, but it likely is there somewhere. Any additional aero drag you get on the new trailer will have significant impact on your mileage. Any additional weight, again, will impact mileage as most roads aren't dead flat.

Can you rent something like you might ultimately buy for say a weekend trip? It will tell you a lot about its added utility and what it likely is going to cost to use/keep it.

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Comparing something narrower like a R-pod at about 7 foot wide vs a 8 or 8.5 wide trailer.

I know Ford says to take frontal area of the trailer into consideration but I don't know how that is actually calculated.

I've got a 16' scamp right now, its narrow and I get about 15 mpg with it. It's too small though, looking at going a bit bigger.
shoot that scamp right over to me, have always wanted one.! :)

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I don't know just how Ford in their infinite wisdom, figures frontal area standards for their trucks and how they determine what each can tow.
Do they consider the total frontal area, which in my case is probably around 80 sq feet (8 ft wide X 10 ft high) or just the area that sticks up from the top of the bed to the roof.
It becomes a moot point. Many on the site , self included, tow full size trailers without a problem. Yes, mileage will go down, but you should still get 10-12 mpg depending on size of your rig and driving habits.
Pictured is my rig, and I get around 11-12 at 65 mph, flat x-way driving. Throw mountains and stop n go and mpg goes down.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I don’t know how Ford calculates it, but it’s only 55sq ft for the Ranger rating. Width will increase resistance, and visibility decreases; plus, depending on the driver, possibly fatigue over equal time.

The Scamp is 6’8” wide. There are many 7’ wide trailers. I have trailers from 7’ to 8 1/2’ wide, and I prefer trailers 7’-7 1/2’ wide. I find livability to be good once a trailer gets 7’ wide, and drivability to start going down once you reach 7 1/2’. I find the 6’8” trailers not really livable for me. Even my pickup camper was 7’ wide.

My 7’ wide trailer from awning to water inlet is almost 7 1/2’. My last 7 1/2’ trailer was 8’ by the same measurement. My 8 1/2’ boat trailer is actually almost 9’.

I have an Escape 19’ fiberglass trailer. It’s 4620lbs loaded for long trips and 7’ wide and it tows great. It is heavy for an Escape 19. I get a low of 13mpg on windy steep uphill days. Typically I am around 15-15 1/2mpg hand calculated.

I have the ClearView towing mirrors. Expensive, but worth it to me. The truck has a little over 11,000 miles on it, 8000 of those towing.

I know everyone has different opinions, but I hope this helps. Maybe someone who knows will chime in with how the 55 sq ft is calculated. I too would like to know.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I never could find good info about calculating frontal area, whether it was specifically what protrudes from around the truck, or whether it's the truck + trailer, or the total for the trailer.

I was looking at a trailer awhile ago that was super tall, but that was partly because it was lifted, so there was a lot of airspace underneath it. no idea how that extra space underneath played a role, either. The trailer was only 3500lb, IIRC, which is easily within the Ranger's capacity. But the frontal area was well outside it. The implications for fuel economy weren't great.

For short trips, I'm not terribly concerned. But for me, campers are best for longer road trips and stopping every 150mi or less for fuel is irritating at best for long drives.

OP
OP
Fritz

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
I think I’m going with a long narrow r pod.

we plan on going from MN to Maine, and then possibly to Arizona.
Lots of driving.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
We tow a 7.5' wide trailer (not including the wheels that stick out a little more). I would not want to be any wider. With a backup camera, I have good visibility w/o special mirrors. I calculated the frontal area around 50-55 sq ft.

We originally started looking at the smaller R-pod with the 6.5' width. One of those would have towed a little easier. However, when we purchase in fall 2021, Forest River had suspended all narrow R-Pod productions, or we would probably have bought a R-pod 180. In hindsight, we appreciate the much larger interior space of our current model. It has a east-west bed that I can fully stretch out in :)

Seal_Rock.jpg

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
8DE2F684-5114-42D9-86D2-D05E37BB9EEA.jpg

We love this floor plan. Best deal I can get is 33k, 36 after taxes and what not.

It’s a lot of money to spend if I have to buy a different truck to tow it in a month.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/r-pod/RP-202/5489
Fritz, this is our trailer, same 8 feet wide and 10 feet high as the one your looking at, but ours weighs in at around 6500 lbs loaded out with the tongue weight around 700 lbs. My Lariat tows it just fine. You won't have any problem towing that R-Pod.

IMG_20220530_072335789_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220316_150732083_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Fritz

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
Fritz, this is our trailer, same 8 feet wide and 10 feet high as the one your looking at, but ours weighs in at around 6500 lbs loaded out with the tongue weight around 700 lbs. My Lariat tows it just fine. You won't have any problem towing that R-Pod.

IMG_20220530_072335789_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220316_150732083_HDR.jpg
Ok tons of questions.
Do you have a weight distribution hitch? Any mpg figures? What speed do you tow at? How many miles have you put on your setup? Do you use high octane when towing?

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I’m not Grumpa, but yes I use premium when towing, but if I can’t get it, I can still tow fine. Unloaded I use regular. I have an Equalizer 10K hitch used with a previous truck and trailer. It’s over kill for my Escape 19, but I already had it. I prefer the ride with a WDH, eliminates “porpoisping”. This setup keeps the trailer and truck as one even in very heavy and gusty winds. My mileage and miles are in my previous post. I typically tow at 60 on 4 or 2 lane based on my experience.

F42B3F05-60E9-42B0-BBC0-4B06DE7064EC.jpeg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok tons of questions.
Do you have a weight distribution hitch? Any mpg figures? What speed do you tow at? How many miles have you put on your setup? Do you use high octane when towing?
My mpg runs 10-12 depending on roads, terrain, ect. Interstates I run 63-65, and back roads the speed limit, maybe a few mph under.
I do not keep an eye on my mpg, it is what it is while towing a huge shoe box. My 10-12 is simply based on the fact that I run on the top 2/3 of a tank, fill up when 1/3 or so is left, and that 2/3 gets me around 150-180 miles. I have a Scan Gauge and it will give me an accurate mpg, but why worry about it ? I tow, mpg sucks, OH WELL !!!
Regular or mid when not towing, when towing 91/93 octane.
Weight distributing hitch is a must, I'm running Blue Ox setup with 1000 lb bars. Have to use their setup as my trailer is one of few made with an underslung coupler, and they make one specifically for that type. But whichever one you decide to get, don't scrimp...get quality.
You will need one with that R-Pod as when loaded out your tongue weight looks to be in the area of 500-600 lbs. Looks like you have towed before, so you know every pound you load in front of the axle, and closer to the front adds tongue weight.
Our trailer is still relatively new, only about 1000 miles towing it so far. Added a set of good rear shocks and a Roadmaster Active Suspension set up.
And, let me add...I realize my rig is at the upper end of the Ranger's capability, and for a novice or someone who only tows occasionally, I would NOT recommend a trailer this size. I have owned and towed travel trailers of various sizes, continually, for the last 50 years, so I am comfortable with it. We are on the road at least one week every 4-5 weeks, sometimes longer trips, running between 500 to 1000 miles.

Last edited:

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Agree with all the above suggestions for your R-Pod 202. I would not suggest something at the upper end of the Ranger's limit for first time trailer/towing, but it sounds like you have experience. You will like the 202. The issue we had with the 6.5' wide R-Pods (we almost bought a 180) was the limited storage and cramped bed.

For my 5,000 GVWR trailer, I use a 6,000 lbs Fastway E2 hitch. I have to use the lowest setting on the drop bar. Our Ranger's hitch is high up. If I had a lift or larger tires, I'd need to buy an aftermarket drop bar to get the trailer level when hitched. Like the above, I also tow at 60-65 mpg, or the speed limit, whatever is lower. I get 12 mpg on average with premium fuel. When it is windy, my mpg drops. I have seen 8-9 mpg with heavy (scary) wind on I-84 in Idaho.

Upgate the rear shocks for sure. I like the looks of the Roadmaster Active Suspension, but it does increase the rear height, which I am not a fan of. I may get a rear sway bar though, and/or also upgrade my front shocks, to reduce what body roll and squishiness is still there after my rear shock upgrade to Fox 2.0s
Sponsored