How Many Have Gone From Ranger to F150? Hybrid Specifically.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
i'm likely going to a full size after my ranger. not because the ranger has done me wrong, but because of the larger bed. i could use the space.

i drove an F150 XLT with the 5.0L max tow (3.73 gears). just freakin loved that thing. as far as powerboost, it's tempting. i read on the reddit f150 owners thread that the powerboost reliability has really improved from its initial years.

also, fwiw, the tacoma hybrid only get 1-2 mpg better is because that's how toyota chose to use their hybrid motor. for power. not for fuel economy. all the new tacoma vids i see the owners rave about how much better the tacoma engine is with the hybrid in terms of enjoyability.

also with the tacoma, you do NOT need to pay $60-70k to get the 6 foot bed unless you have to have the hybrid engine (then i think you have to get the trailhunter, which does hit that price range).

Capture.PNG

SR5 build, non hybrid engine, double cab as toyota calls the crew cab, and 6 ft bed - $42k. I hadn't loaded more options onto it besides 4x4. You can also do the TRD Offroad with the 6foot bed, but the price goes up to nearly $45k.

shame they won't allow a manual transmission on the 6ft bed. booo
Sponsored

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
I am 6'1" with a 36" inseam. I think the Ranger feels great.
Try putting a passenger behind you in the rear seat of the Ranger. With a 36" inseam, only one of you is going to be comfortable. No passenger - then no problem. I do like my Ranger Tremor a lot, but the F-150 is just more useful, more roomy, gets better milage (2.7 liter) and has a much bigger gas tank. As to carrying groceries around in the bed of the truck, yeah, I do it reluctantly, and boxes from Costco help, but that better be the last stop on your trip, cuz if you leave it in another lot, you (or at least I) will have some concerns about theft.

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
It really comes down to what you needs are. I went from a F-150 crew cab to the Ranger crew cab and I have never looked back with any remorse. The Ranger fits my lifestyle right now.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Try putting a passenger behind you in the rear seat of the Ranger. With a 36" inseam, only one of you is going to be comfortable. No passenger - then no problem.
Ah, good point. I think I only ever had a passenger in the back once in 50k miles.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Had many many F-150's as company vehicles earlier in my career. As such never needed to buy a truck. Haven't had a company vehicle in a long time. Bought my first truck, '06 Frontier NISMO, when the Ranger wasn't offered. I wanted a truck, and decided that I preferred a mid-sized. While the Nissan was a complete POS, I never regretted going mid-sized. Worked perfectly for me. Fast forward to last year, wanted a truck (badly) and the Ranger was offered this time around. Do NOT regret it. Love driving it. Parking it or garage? Plenty of room! Hauls what I need when I need with no issues. Comfortable(very) on the road. Decent mileage. In my mind, mid-sized for the win!

Ironically, while on the road this week my rental vehicle is a '23 F-150 XLT CC 4x4. And, can't make this shit up... blue! :like: Put about 100 miles on it yesterday. Will be making a 350 mile road trip tomorrow. Would I rather be in this or my Tremor? Tremor hands down. Me personally, I just like driving it better. Can't really quantify all the reasons. Will say that the seats in the Ranger are much more comfortable. Obviously that is a subjective opinion. But yesterday I found myself continually adjusting the seat trying to get it right. When I rent Expeditions, don't seem to have that problem. Weird. Overall is the F-150 roomier? Yes, obviously. Does that translate into more comfort? I don't find that to be the case. It's just bigger inside.

Just my 2 cents.

All that said, wish the OP the best with the new 150!
Update:
Turning in the rental F150 tomorrow morning. Put 600+ miles on it this week.

Two main things I noticed:
1) Seats are NOT comfortable. I had to stop often to get out and walk a bit. Could not get comfortable in it on long drives.
2) Every time I stopped and then started moving again the drive train thunked, clunked, and bumped. Every single time. Truck has just under 13K miles on it. I didn't over analyze it as obviously "it ain't my problem." But if it was my truck I would not be happy. Reminded me of many of the comments I've read here about some folks Rangers.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
Which is better? A laptop or a desktop? Why does dell even make laptops when the desktops are so much more powerful and the laptops are always running out of batteries? Not to mention laptops are more expensive!

Why does apple make different size phones? Eveyone knows that the bigger the screen, the better. Plus with the bigger screen you get a bigger battery and they last all day.

In fact why do they make any other vehicle. They should just all be F150s. Unless you really need to tow or hail then they could have f250s or f550s.

Alaska Wolf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Jungle Splash
Occupation
Retired
I've seriously thought about trading in my 2023 Ranger for something different as I've never been happy with it, I just don't know what. I loved my 2018 F 150 Lariat, but since Idaho is getting so crowded and congested, and the parking spaces are gotting so small, I decided to down size into a smaller truck and I didn't like the Toyotas and Nissans at all.

Now, I admit that I have a love hate relationship with my Ranger. On the positive side, it is very comfortable, it is easy to park, it has great tow capabilities for its size, and it has a lot of power in that little 4 cylinder motor, with even more on tap with a tune. Its a lot more fun to go off-roading in the Ranger than all of my old F series trucks; with the clear exception of my old Broncos, off road they were hard to beat.

On the negative side are the very poorly though out dash layout, and the near constant EGR, fuel and Sync system problems. But my biggest gripe is the excessive wind, road and engine noise which makes listening to the stereo and even just talking difficult, people literally think I have a window rolled down. Yes, the noise problems can be remedied, for enough money. And now at under 4,000 miles, the over-engineered transmission is starting to have issues, and the dealership wants to rebuild it.

RBMAN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The deciding factor is simply size. I’ve owned several F150’s and they are so big now I can’t fit one into my garage and it’s too hard to park where I work.
Exactly, and the Ranger is more fun to drive!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I've seriously thought about trading in my 2023 Ranger for something different as I've never been happy with it, I just don't know what. I loved my 2018 F 150 Lariat, but since Idaho is getting so crowded and congested, and the parking spaces are gotting so small, I decided to down size into a smaller truck and I didn't like the Toyotas and Nissans at all.

Now, I admit that I have a love hate relationship with my Ranger. On the positive side, it is very comfortable, it is easy to park, it has great tow capabilities for its size, and it has a lot of power in that little 4 cylinder motor, with even more on tap with a tune. Its a lot more fun to go off-roading in the Ranger than all of my old F series trucks; with the clear exception of my old Broncos, off road they were hard to beat.

On the negative side are the very poorly though out dash layout, and the near constant EGR, fuel and Sync system problems. But my biggest gripe is the excessive wind, road and engine noise which makes listening to the stereo and even just talking difficult, people literally think I have a window rolled down. Yes, the noise problems can be remedied, for enough money. And now at under 4,000 miles, the over-engineered transmission is starting to have issues, and the dealership wants to rebuild it.
Or no money. If it is a door or window seal, it's covered under warranty. Others have had it done.
And I thought '23 had the improved trans with the new CDF drum? Was that a misconception?
As for dash layouts, they are just getting worse with each new release.

Alaska Wolf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Jungle Splash
Occupation
Retired
Or no money. If it is a door or window seal, it's covered under warranty. Others have had it done.
And I thought '23 had the improved trans with the new CDF drum? Was that a misconception?
As for dash layouts, they are just getting worse with each new release.
The dealership has inspected it several times and concluded that the noise is not being caused by the seals. I think it is partially, but I think it is much more likely due to the fact there isn't any insulation in the doors, the back, the firewall or the roof. It literally sounds like my 1973 Ranger which didn't even have a headliner. There's a reason so many people in this forum have been putting sound dampening in their Rangers, with the roof apparently being the worst area. I have no idea about a new and improved CDF drum; if there is, it didn't fix the problem. What I do know is that I am having shift problems, and the new TSB 23-2250, dtd 14 Aug 2023, specifically lists the 2023 Ranger as being affected. Mine is actually eligible for a brand new transmission, not just a rebuild.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
the sound thing is weird. my 2019 is the quietest vehicle I've owned. granted all the vehicles I've owned have been less expensive than the ranger, and have definitely been on the noisy side, but my Ranger is comfortably quiet. I have felt zero need to add any kind of sound dampening. but honestly the threads I've seen with people installing sound dampening have been from people who care a lot more about the sound quality coming from their radio than I do. that's a pretty common thing for audiophiles to do to their vehicles. and that includes most vehicles.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
the sound thing is weird. my 2019 is the quietest vehicle I've owned. granted all the vehicles I've owned have been less expensive than the ranger, and have definitely been on the noisy side, but my Ranger is comfortably quiet. I have felt zero need to add any kind of sound dampening. but honestly the threads I've seen with people installing sound dampening have been from people who care a lot more about the sound quality coming from their radio than I do. that's a pretty common thing for audiophiles to do to their vehicles. and that includes most vehicles.
This has been my experience as well. My Ranger is a VERY quiet vehicle.

It is kind of funny - I think we get accustomed to a certain noise level. I always thought our C-Max was quiet, but once I got my Ranger, now I think it is noisy. Both are better than our old 2004 Honda Accord though. I think as time goes on, manufacturers are getting better about interior noise in vehicles.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
This has been my experience as well. My Ranger is a VERY quiet vehicle.

It is kind of funny - I think we get accustomed to a certain noise level. I always thought our C-Max was quiet, but once I got my Ranger, now I think it is noisy. Both are better than our old 2004 Honda Accord though. I think as time goes on, manufacturers are getting better about interior noise in vehicles.
agreed. I mean, sure, the Ranger isn't nearly as quiet as the F150 Platinum I drove for work a couple summers ago. But I don't expect it to be. That thing had air-conditioned leather seats, for cryin' out loud.
Sponsored