How loud are Wildpeaks compared with ATM?

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I've seen comments ranging from "a bit loud" to " no noise" on Wildpeak A-T3W SL, Destination AT/2, and Discoverer AT/3 4S.
But, I haven't heard of a comparison to stock tires.
For those who have used both, how loud are these three tires (in 265/70R17) compared with stock Dynapro ATM?
Based on forum posts, these are my three main 4-ply contenders due to weight and quietness.

I'm thinking of changing from 265/65R17 Dynapro ATM, to a larger 265/70R17.
I'm 98% on-road, but am looking for a bit more toughness and wet traction.

So if these have significantly more normal-road noise -- even if they're less than other tires of that class -- I'll stick with the Dynapros.
Sponsored

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I have wildpeaks, the LT ones, and I honestly cant tel if they’re louder than the dynapros. I hear my dash rattle and suspension squeek more.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Whichever tire you go, make sure you lookup online what your psi should be. Some reason no matter where i get my tires from they always put way too much psi in the tires. The wildpeaks they set at freaking 40 and it felt like rolling rocks until i dropped it to 35 and its money now

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Understanding you are wanting to stay on the street and probably only hit dirt roads as needed I would suggest one of 3 tires. The tires are as follows, Firestone Destination XT, Firestone Destination AT 2 and Firestone Destination LE3.

Why did I pick only Firestone tires? Well to start you were already interested in one of them. Second I already know about the durability of Firestone tires. Third, if you have any wet conditions to deal with including snow and ice Firestone does well for winter traction.

Currently I run the Destination XT on my truck and service van. In the past I have had some Destination LE2's and they were great. I think I have ran the AT before but I dont remember them either.

If you dont plan to go OffRoad and maybe hit dirt roads here and there the LE3 will do just fine. Want to do a little more than the occasional dirt road? The AT 2 will be up your alley. If you want to to more that 2% OffRoad while able to manage on road without compromising noise and traction the XT will definitely hold up(I actually have a thread about it).

Thats my suggestion and I hope it helps.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Thank you all -- it's very helpful to hear your thoughts and advice :)

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I have the AT3’s in 265/70 and really like them. They are a great wet weather tire. They may be a decibel or two louder than the ATM’s, but it’s honestly insignificant.

GSD4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL-STX 4WD
I've never had the Dynapros or Wild Peaks but I've always swapped my tires first thing whenever I bought a new pickup, going to something more aggressive than factory - usually an A/T of some sort.

When I swapped out my Ranger's Bridgestones, I originally went with an upsized BFG K02. There was a noticeable increase in tire amplitude ("noise" - haha) but only to the degree that I was looking for it when I first drove it away from the tire shop. I've since gone to Maxxis Razr A/Ts in your size and can't say there is any difference with the K02's, therefore nothing distracting compared to the factory offerings. I have some Yoko M/T's for more aggressive offroading and the first time I drove on them, I wanted to scream -- despite all the reviews saying how quiet they are (yeah, for a mud tire...)

Defining "traction" for an unloaded pickup is a bit tricky. Every AT tire I've ever run sucked on wet pavement, but only because 99.5% of the time I drive with nothing but a tool box filled with miscellany. There's just not much ground pressure under a pickup bed. (Also why I set my rear tire pressure a few pounds less than the front).

Though I haven't run Firestones in some time, I'll reinforce what Frenchy has written. I put over 300k on my Tacoma, replacing tires with only the Firestone Destination AT's (now AT2). My driving was almost exclusively pavement (hwy and side roads). They were long-lasting, quiet, and reliable. The only reason I don't run them now is because I simply wanted to try something different. As stated, since they are on your list they are def worth running.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
For those above who have run Destination AT2, how are they offroad compared to Dynapro ATMs?
I looked through posts and youtube videos, but couldn't find a clear answer -- aside from people ATMS looked more aggressive. But obviously looks don't correlate to offroad behavior :)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For those above who have run Destination AT2, how are they offroad compared to Dynapro ATMs?
I looked through posts and youtube videos, but couldn't find a clear answer -- aside from people ATMS looked more aggressive. But obviously looks don't correlate to offroad behavior :)
What kind of OffRoad capabilities are you looking for? I understand you only are looking at 2% OffRoad but for all we know that a will change and it depends where you go

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
What kind of OffRoad capabilities are you looking for? I understand you only are looking at 2% OffRoad but for all we know that a will change and it depends where you go
You're right, of course :) I'm not asking for anything specific though -- just a comparison to Dynapros (for those who might have used both), since that's what i currently have stock.

Eg The consensus is that Destination AT2 is better in rain/snow, and that can be said without needing to define what that specific rain/snow conditions we're talking about... I'm curious about a similar basic comparison of off-road capability (Same? Better? Worse? Etc)

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I can't hear my mt's over the radio ?‍♀ the new rangers seem pretty quiet on the inside. The mt's on my 2010 were near deafening

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Wildpeak are very quiet...can't hear them inside with windows rolled up...same with my Cooper Discoverer...

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Thank you all again for your thoughts.
I went with the Destination AT2 (265/70R17) and had them installed today.
I also bought an aftermarket rim (still in transit) for the full-size 265/70R17 spare.

(Next is to run some chalk tests to find proper inflation pressure...)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you all again for your thoughts.
I went with the Destination AT2 (265/70R17) and had them installed today.
I also bought an aftermarket rim (still in transit) for the full-size 265/70R17 spare.

(Next is to run some chalk tests to find proper inflation pressure...)
Start with 30 PSI and go from there. I found around that pressure to be close to right for the Ranger in that size
Sponsored