/Anyone Compared 18 and 17" wheels?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15875
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Deleted member 15875

So my Ranger Lariat came with 18's - 265/60/18 but know that many come with 17's. I've been considering dropping to a Tremor wheelset (17's), but recall on previous vehicles the taller tire sidewall created more tire movement (slop). Wondering if anyone's compared these on their Ranger and it there was any discernible differences on the road? I know many probably like having more sidewall for offroad but I'm not concerned about this aspect. I'm mostly driving on road.
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
So my Ranger Lariat came with 18's - 265/60/18 but know that many come with 17's. I've been considering dropping to a Tremor wheelset (17's), but recall on previous vehicles the taller tire sidewall created more tire movement (slop). Wondering if anyone's compared these on their Ranger and it there was any discernible differences on the road? I know many probably like having more sidewall for offroad but I'm not concerned about this aspect. I'm mostly driving on road.
Do you like the stock suspension/ride height? Do you intend to change those?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
My Lariat with the Black Appearance Package came with 18" wheels (see my profile pic). I use 17" OEM Magnetic Sport Appearance Package wheels for my snow tires. No issue at all. The overal diameter is about 0.1" difference. I actually prefer the look of the 17"s over the 18"s.

My Nokian snow tires on 17s are also more stiff than the OEM Hankooks on 18s. The truck rides less bouncy with the snow tires. The Hankooks are very squishy tires.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Lariat with the Black Appearance Package came with 18" wheels (see my profile pic). I use 17" OEM Magnetic Sport Appearance Package wheels for my snow tires. No issue at all. The overal diameter is about 0.1" difference. I actually prefer the look of the 17"s over the 18"s.

My Nokian snow tires on 17s are also more stiff than the OEM Hankooks on 18s. The truck rides less bouncy with the snow tires. The Hankooks are very squishy tires.
Are the snows LTs vs P metric Hankooks?

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I am a huge fan of 17s. Down sized from 20s on my last truck to oem 17s. Ok the cornering was slightly worse at the limit but boy did it ride nice. Not to mention the tires are a touch cheaper too.

I do not think you will notice. I have 17s on my ranger and have pushed it to its absolute limit in the handling department and it was fine. Put it sideways at 70 on the highway once too, thank you box truck... Anyway I have never noticed any flex. The tremor tires will be more noticeable because there is more rubber, it is a taller tire. But oem 18 to 17 tire sizes that are non tremor should be imperceivable.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just installed a Fox 2.0 level kit.
Nice! Since the Fox setup is a bit more firm and controlled I would think 17s would be just fine. I'd imagine you'd get a touch more loose/bouncy feel with 17s on factory suspension (especially if they're not LTs).

OP
OP

Deleted member 15875

Nice! Since the Fox setup is a bit more firm and controlled I would think 17s would be just fine. I'd imagine you'd get a touch more loose/bouncy feel with 17s on factory suspension (especially if they're not LTs).
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Guess I could always run a few more PSI"s if needed for feel.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regular passenger rated snow tires.
Hmmm. Maybe the Hankooks are just softer then. Typically a snow tire has softer tread and sidewalls to remain pliable in the cold.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Hmmm. Maybe the Hankooks are just softer then. Typically a snow tire has softer tread and sidewalls to remain pliable in the cold.
That is my observation on my other vehicles besides the Ranger.

The Hankooks seem to have an extremely soft squishy sidewall. I wish they would wear out faster than they are so I could replace them with something that rides the way I like. The Hankooks are lasting longer than most OEM tires on other vehicles I have purchased. I may have to bite the bullet and replace them at halfway worn.

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
That is my observation on my other vehicles besides the Ranger.

The Hankooks seem to have an extremely soft squishy sidewall. I wish they would wear out faster than they are so I could replace them with something that rides the way I like. The Hankooks are lasting longer than most OEM tires on other vehicles I have purchased. I may have to bite the bullet and replace them at halfway worn.
Which tires go faster? I'm trying to do mods on my 2022 FX4 Ranger to beat the new 2022 stock 400HP F150..maybe off the line to 60mph... then hang it up and head to the bar.
Sponsored