How can I wire bed lights to the cargo light switch?

ItsGee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Carpentry
I want to wire bed lights so when I press the cargo switch both the factory cargo lights come on and the led bed lights. NOTE: I'm not very handy with wiring so if possible make it as easy as possible but I'm willing to try anything.
Sponsored

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
I personally would not, as it may void the factory warranty. I instead wired mine to the factory upfitter switches (not all models have these, mine is an XLT Tremor and it does) to keep the warranty intact.

I believe the factory upfitter switches are the only places you can wire bed lights and keep warranty, only other way is to use the Ford Lumen kit as it’s got an approved harnesses.

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
That is a great kit, I've seen it installed on friends' trucks, and should work well. Much better option than tapping into factory circuits IMO especially if the dealer is not mod friendly.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I think the factory switch goes to a controller, like most every thing automotive these days. They are designed to turn off automatically when you put it in Drive, and con't turn on unless in Park. I'd get a kit like the one linked above.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I have 2 LED strips, one on each side in the bed cover rails. They are wired in Parallel to each other, and then in parallel with the bed lights via a tap at the high mount light at the back of the cab. I thought about a relay or such, but looking at the circuit being controlled by a FET controller and the lights barely reaching 2A I wired them right in. I like that the added bed lights dim out just like the high mount lights. I'm not saying you should do it this way, just that I've had it like this since Feb of `23 and its been fine.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I want to wire bed lights so when I press the cargo switch both the factory cargo lights come on and the led bed lights. NOTE: I'm not very handy with wiring so if possible make it as easy as possible but I'm willing to try anything.
If you're not confident in your wiring abilities, then just get a few battery powered pod lights and mount them in the bed. Sometimes you can even turn them on with your phone. You'll have to remember to charge/change batteries, but it's a simple setup with zero risk of messing anything up on the truck's wiring.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I personally would not, as it may void the factory warranty. I instead wired mine to the factory upfitter switches (not all models have these, mine is an XLT Tremor and it does) to keep the warranty intact.

I believe the factory upfitter switches are the only places you can wire bed lights and keep warranty, only other way is to use the Ford Lumen kit as it’s got an approved harnesses.
It is against the law for a manufacturer to void the warranty on a product. Now if you wired the bed lights to the cargo lights and the cargo lights stopped working Ford could deny a warranty claim on the cargo light but nothing else would be impacted. You could potentially wire up something incorrectly to the upfitter switches and ruin the module under the hood and have a warranty claim for that denied.

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
It is against the law for a manufacturer to void the warranty on a product. Now if you wired the bed lights to the cargo lights and the cargo lights stopped working Ford could deny a warranty claim on the cargo light but nothing else would be impacted. You could potentially wire up something incorrectly to the upfitter switches and ruin the module under the hood and have a warranty claim for that denied.
My dealer said the cargo light relay isn’t designed for aftermarket accessory loads but the upfitter switches are fused and rated for the current (and then some) so overloading it won’t blow up anything else.

Just repeating what I heard from my dealer, others may be more “mod friendly”

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
My dealer said the cargo light relay isn’t designed for aftermarket accessory loads but the upfitter switches are fused and rated for the current (and then some) so overloading it won’t blow up anything else.

Most of the led strips the folks have added on here draw like 2 amps or less. But of course the upfitters are the safer route. I haven't seen anyone report an issue using that circuit though.

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
You might consider using the Wolf Haus bed power kit with the pigtail. Use the pigtail to power your bed lights. You'll need to put a switch back there. That circuit behaves like your 12v power ports.

Just a thought....

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers

The cargo light is not controlled by a relay, as best I can tell it's a FET controller in the BCM. And from the reading on those, it appears they have over current protections as well, so if too much load is drawn through a FET that circuit is shut down to protect the BCM and other loads fed through the BCM.

If you happen to damage the FET controller in the BCM, or the protection circuit fails to shut it down and damage reaches any other electrical systems powered though the BCM, warranty on those things could be denied as well if they show the source of what caused it was the wiring you did.
Sponsored