micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you guys like this! Please post if you make the mod and report how it went.

I added a parts list with links to 1st post.

Not sure if I mentioned this already but my next mod is adding Lariat mirrors. Still in planning stage, but I started a thread. Only thing I lack is a driver side Lariat mirror.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Ok here are the step by step directions
Directions on the cap/resistor wire assy HERE.

Pop open the Interior Fuse Cover/ Steering Column Trim Panel
1608323047605.png

Remove the headlamp switch trim panel to give aces to the cargo lamp switch connector
EDIT - I could not get this to fully release, its has a screw above the cargo light switch. To remove that you need to also remove the vent/trim above. I was able to get to the connetor wiout doing this. Just be aware that the headlamp switchtrim panel does not come out as the manual states!
1608326658422.png

And unplug the connector from the Cargo lamp switch
1608330749088.png

Tap into to the 2 wires Black-Grey and Violet-Grey
1608330898093.png

Tap into the Green-Brown reverse wiring coming out of the BCM
1608330827886.png

Relay attached - ground not yet
1608328301979.png

Install Complete
1608328464082.png

And the results
1608331071061.png
Okay, I'm finally getting around to this and you have the step "Tap into to the 2 wires Black-Grey and Violet-Grey" but it looks more like white and black/grey by the schematic? Your pic even seems to look like this. I'm going this route, wish me luck.

OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I'm finally getting around to this and you have the step "Tap into to the 2 wires Black-Grey and Violet-Grey" but it looks more like white and black/grey by the schematic? Your pic even seems to look like this. I'm going this route, wish me luck.
Good catch Thanks Tony!
Instructions edited!

And reply back on how it works for you.
One annoyance I have noticed is when I back into a parking spot my cargo lights stay on after I lock truck and walk away.
Can always hit the cargo switch before getting out, but I am thinking of a way to idiot proof it.

Last edited:

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Good catch Thanks Tony!
Instructions edited!

One announce I have noticed is when I back into a parking spot my cargo lights stay on after I lock truck and walk away.
Can always hit the carge switch before getting out, but I am thinking of a way to idiot proof it.
Well that worked @micl9 but once the cargo lights come on they won't turn off unless I hit the switch. What did I do wrong? Do I have a bad relay?

OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Well that worked @micl9 but once the cargo lights come on they won't turn off unless I hit the switch. What did I do wrong? Do I have a bad relay?
No that's correct, if you drive off they will automatically turn off after a certain speed.
Does that happen? It should as that is built in stock.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Good catch Thanks Tony!
Instructions edited!

One annoyance I have noticed is when I back into a parking spot my cargo lights stay on after I lock truck and walk away.
Can always hit the cargo switch before getting out, but I am thinking of a way to idiot proof it.
Well your edit answered my question. I would have thought that after the reverse signal stopped, they would go off. I have a buddy that is a 12 volt auto genius so I'll ask him how to correct.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man
No that's correct, if you drive off they will automatically turn off.
Does that happen? It should as that is built in stock.
I'm not sure if they'll go off after driving away. It's only me so I'm just in the garage using the emergency brake while I check. They come on in reverse but don't go off when switched to drive. I haven't actually moved the truck.

OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Well your edit answered my question. I would have thought that after the reverse signal stopped, they would go off. I have a buddy that is a 12 volt auto genius so I'll ask him how to correct.
There were 2 ways to set up - driven purely off the reverse signal (which would require a power line be run to the relay) or thru the BCM as I did here.
I didn't want to run a power line so I choose the BCM route. The drawback is they will stay on if you don't drive off. The BCM turns them on or off based on a momentary gnd pulse.
BUT - the battery tender will shut them off after a time to keep the battery from draining too far.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man
There were 2 ways to set up - driven purely off the reverse signal (which would require a power line be run to the relay) or thru the BCM as I did here.
I didn't want to run a power line so I choose the BCM route. The drawback is they will stay on if you don't drive off. The BCM turns them on or off based on a momentary gnd pulse.
BUT - the battery tender will shut them off after a time to keep the battery from draining too far.
Okay. This will be a problem for me since I back into my driveway so they would just stay on. As I said, I'll get my buddy to sort it out and post a solution.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man
and just to give everyone something to laugh about because Tony luck. Trying to get the cargo switch out, I broke the tabs on it trying to get the connector out so now it's floppy.

OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
and just to give everyone something to laugh about because Tony luck. Trying to get the cargo switch out, I broke the tabs on it trying to get the connector out so now it's floppy.
That part was kinda hard - I am learning that the manual does not always match our truck, both wire colors and disassembly instructions. I will go back and add a note to my install procedure.
Sorry if I steered you wrong!

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man
That part was kinda hard - I am learning that the manual does not always match our truck, both wire colors and disassembly instructions. I will go back and add a note to my install procedure.
PpPpPpP Nothing I did was your fault, Brother. My buddy got back to me and we'll take care of this on/off shit easily. Thank you for giving me something to do! HAPPY EASTER.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man
BTW, that white to green/brown almost got me. I couldn't get the Posi-tap to fit the wire (I went so far as to get your EXACT parts) then realized I had a brown/green wire (it was too fat). Who knows what I would have hooked up to. :p Cargo lights come on when I hit a turn signal?

OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Yes Happy Easter!
And I am getting ready for my next wiring tango.
Lariat Mirrors! Probably next Friday. Already found some wiring surprises vs the manual. Some good some bad. Well maybe not bad, but confusing. There is a ground line in the harness connector and no pin in the mirror. But it saves me running one extra wire.
Enjoy the rest of your Easter weekend.
Sponsored