Cargo lights

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Any one know how to keep the cargo lights on like the raptors? They turn off passed 3 mph but I would like to replace the white LED's I put in there with Amber LED'S. There's a rally track I wanna go to and they require rear facing Amber lights and the raptors use those. I know there is an aftermarket 3rd brake light replacement that has name brand rear facing Amber LED'S on it but I'm not interested in paying for that. Maybe in forscan? I've never used forscan. It would be cool to drive with them on as well.
PXL_20211104_185528580.MP.jpg

Thanks.
Sponsored

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX 4x4, Focus, Mustang, F150, MC's
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Run a new power source with a single pole double throw (SPDT)to change power supply to the cargo lights. Then you can switch from the original power and your new power line that will keep them on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Run a new power source with a double pole single throw switch (DPST) to change power supply to the cargo lights. Then you can switch from the original power and your new power line that will keep them on.
I have no idea what this means so I'm going to Google as much as I can and see if this is a good solution for me because I like the way it sounds.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Run a new power source with a double pole single throw switch (DPST) to change power supply to the cargo lights. Then you can switch from the original power and your new power line that will keep them on.
This can be done under the steering wheel I think I get what you're saying.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool so a DPST has 4 terminals so I would run a seperate black and a seperate red wire from the battery to the switch and let's say those wires are to the on position so when the switch is in the on position the light will stay on and when the switch is in the off position it will function how it does now.
Now I just need to find the wire that goes to that cargo light button. What if it's only one wire wouldn't that leave an empty terminal?

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Long day...Sorry I had the switch wrong, single pole double throw (SPDT) has 3 terminals, 2 for the power supplies and one for the cargo light.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Long day...Sorry I had the switch wrong, single pole double throw (SPDT) has 3 terminals, 2 for the power supplies and one for the cargo light.
Would a rocker switch suffice?

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
308343.image0.jpg

A rocker that is a SPDT, yes. Somtimes called an A, B switch. the common in the pic would be the hot (+)side of your cargo light, A/B would be the power supply.
Some lighted rockers have 3 terminals so the ground is also attached for the light in rocker, and those will not work for this application.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Okay...there is a back story on this amber light facing rearward. It involves Ford and one of our race teams and one of its drivers. The team that raced for me was Enduro and the driver was Dave Ashley, who I learned, died earlier this year. The Trophy trucks were forever having close calls in the dust with slower vehicles, but an amber light would pierce through the dust. So the racing series promulgated a rule for the slower classes in racing...I pushed to extend the requirement to all race vehicles as broken trophy trucks limping around were also a problem...And that is how the Amber light came to pass. At least that is my story and I am sticking to it...

best,
Phil

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
308343.image0.jpg

A rocker that is a SPDT, yes. Somtimes called an A, B switch. the common in the pic would be the hot (+)side of your cargo light, A/B would be the power supply.
Some lighted rockers have 3 terminals so the ground is also attached for the light in rocker, and those will not work for this application.
I'm glad you explained this because I have rocker switches that have a ground and I was referring to those when I asked.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Folks,

Okay...there is a back story on this amber light facing rearward. It involves Ford and one of our race teams and one of its drivers. The team that raced for me was Enduro and the driver was Dave Ashley, who I learned, died earlier this year. The Trophy trucks were forever having close calls in the dust with slower vehicles, but an amber light would pierce through the dust. So the racing series promulgated a rule for the slower classes in racing...I pushed to extend the requirement to all race vehicles as broken trophy trucks limping around were also a problem...And that is how the Amber light came to pass. At least that is my story and I am sticking to it...

best,
Phil
Again you amaze me with another back story. Having Amber LED'S as the cargo light will look nice in the city and will pierce through some dust but Amber pod lights would be best. I'll add those but I would still like to drive around with the Amber LED'S in the 3rd brake like assembly.

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Industrial Electrician