Honest Unleashed Tuning review

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I thought about just requesting the tow mode shift strategy all the time, but this update is so good that I thought it might be nice to keep it and have 3 good modes. This one is sporty, holds gears to the same rpm in normal driving as tow/haul, but can still be a little more frugal with less engine braking, but still quickly downsift when prompted. I drive a very winding route every day to work now, but I occasionally not, so having 3 options is nice. Does that make sense?
I'll be uploading this as soon as I get my truck back from the dealer! Torrie and you have done wonders with this tune/strategy so far! Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Right now in normal it keeps it around 2000rpm unless you have been steady state on flat ground for a while and it is between 1500 and 2000. 7th gear comes in at 50mph, 8th 60, 9th 65, and 10th at 70. Downshifts quickly when needed. Just press the throttle a little if you want it on demand.

Unlike you I like the downshifting and braking in tow/haul because it is about what I would do if the truck were a manual. But this way I have 3 distinct modes which is nice.
I am in 7th until about 45 then it shifts to 8th and will stay in 8th to about 55 then shifts to 9th and it shifts to 10th about 65. This puts the rpm down close to 1500 rpm at the shift point and it shifts to the next gear just before 2000 rpm. Yes, mine takes very little of a prod on the throttle to get a down shift. If you are coasting down in speed the down shifts aren't noticed.

At this point I see no reason to use tow mode or sport. If I feel the need to play I just take the Cuda out and bang some gears.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I installed the latest transmission tune on top of my specific engine tune and finally disabling the 'fake engine noise' with FORSCAN.

The shifts are consistent and less odd downshifting and not holding lower gears under 'moderate' throttle - I guess it's more responsive to the power and for me (?) now.

With the enhanced engine sound switched off I pick up some harmonics before shifts I guess was obscured by the Ford software. It's not a negative yet but I think additional soundproofing may be in my future.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I installed the latest transmission tune on top of my specific engine tune and finally disabling the 'fake engine noise' with FORSCAN.

The shifts are consistent and less odd downshifting and not holding lower gears under 'moderate' throttle - I guess it's more responsive to the power and for me (?) now.

With the enhanced engine sound switched off I pick up some harmonics before shifts I guess was obscured by the Ford software. It's not a negative yet but I think additional soundproofing may be in my future.
It should hold the gears pretty long under low throttle. For instance you should stay in 6th up to no less than 50mph.

Clear your KAM and transmission adaptive memory using the tuner. Under special functions.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I received my tune today. Sweet. I am assuming it's pretty easy to do this? I guess I need to find out where my thermostat is at?? Is the transmission tune separate from Unleashed? I did tell Torrie the basics of my truck. Towing my 1200# tent trailer, Borla exhaust and basically that's it. Any advise would be appreciated. I used to be a great mechanic until vehicles got too electronic. I don't want to mess anything up.
Thanks,

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I feel like these A10 transmissions are never the same for any two people. So many variables.
Only about 30 miles on it with this revised “no skip shift” tune and I will say “I like it”! Little jumpy 1st to 2nd but I know that will smooth out after about a week of driving. Stays in gears a little longer and the downshifting is more “crisp” and, in my opinion, the way it should be.
You and Torrie did a nice job on this. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I received my tune today. Sweet. I am assuming it's pretty easy to do this? I guess I need to find out where my thermostat is at?? Is the transmission tune separate from Unleashed? I did tell Torrie the basics of my truck. Towing my 1200# tent trailer, Borla exhaust and basically that's it. Any advise would be appreciated. I used to be a great mechanic until vehicles got too electronic. I don't want to mess anything up.
Thanks,
The transmission and engine tuning are all in the same file. When I ordered from Unleashed I told him I wanted an 87 octane performance tune and a 91 octane performance tune. All of the revision work for the transmission was done with the 87 octane engine tune. I did not do any data logging to have Torrie optimize the engine tune, I am quite happy with the 87 tune's performance.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
so , im looking at the
SCT BDX Programmer
it says it has "preloaded" tunes ? Might they be close to what im wanting , tow mode without the brakes? if so , 419 aint bad to get that done , it looks like the other box is 500 without any tunes.

i dont suppose there is any way to use Forscan to turn off the engine brakes in tow mode ? i could live with that ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
so , im looking at the
SCT BDX Programmer
it says it has "preloaded" tunes ? Might they be close to what im wanting , tow mode without the brakes? if so , 419 aint bad to get that done , it looks like the other box is 500 without any tunes.

i dont suppose there is any way to use Forscan to turn off the engine brakes in tow mode ? i could live with that ...
I tried the canned tunes that SCT offers on their devices. The 87 octane performance tune is about the same as the 87 performance tune from Unleashed. Didn't try the 91 or 93 tunes. The SCT tunes don't do much for the transmission tuning and is why I went Unleashed.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I was reading something wrong on the site I believe , the box for 499 comes with 1 custom tune , correct? Because there's another spot that's says custom tunes 249... I just want a shift tune ...

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I was reading something wrong on the site I believe , the box for 499 comes with 1 custom tune , correct? Because there's another spot that's says custom tunes 249... I just want a shift tune ...
The link they have listed above is for the tuner, plugs, thermostat and 2 custom tunes. ANY tune from Unleashed will improve the shifting. I am currently running the 93 Octane Performance Tune with the no skip shift set up Torquerules and Torrie at Unleashed worked on. I didn't change the plugs or thermostat.
Sponsored