Honest Unleashed Tuning review

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks! That's going to make it wife-prohibitive, but I'll ask Torrie anyway.
Torrie confirmed. Need to have an SCT or HPTuner. ProCal won't work. ?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I just wanted to let you guys know that I got another update on my tunes from Unleashed. I worked with Torrie a little bit more on the shift strategy and now there is absolutely no instance of skip shift anywhere, and honestly it is right now perfect for normal drive mode in my honest opinion. It keeps the engine closer to 2000 RPM on cruising by selecting the proper gear to do that and not lug a whole bunch in a gear that's too high. Plus downshifting into the next gear is much quicker again without the lugging. It is very much like tow haul mode but without as much engine braking. This is nice because now you basically have three sport mode similar to what you would have in one of a new Mustang with the same transmission. They have a Sport mode a Sport Plus mode and a Track mode. So think of now having normal drive be Sport, tow/haul be Sport Plus, and sport be Track and you get the idea. Contact Torrie to try it out and let me know what you think.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I thought about just requesting the tow mode shift strategy all the time, but this update is so good that I thought it might be nice to keep it and have 3 good modes. This one is sporty, holds gears to the same rpm in normal driving as tow/haul, but can still be a little more frugal with less engine braking, but still quickly downsift when prompted. I drive a very winding route every day to work now, but I occasionally not, so having 3 options is nice. Does that make sense?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I thought about just requesting the tow mode shift strategy all the time, but this update is so good that I thought it might be nice to keep it and have 3 good modes. This one is sporty, holds gears to the same rpm in normal driving as tow/haul, but can still be a little more frugal with less engine braking, but still quickly downsift when prompted. I drive a very winding route every day to work now, but I occasionally not, so having 3 options is nice. Does that make sense?
Yes , and I want that tune ! But damn , looks like about 800 bucks unless I'm reading it wrong on the website, that's a hard sell to wifey...

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Yes , and I want that tune ! But damn , looks like about 800 bucks unless I'm reading it wrong on the website, that's a hard sell to wifey...
I think you are reading wrong. Let me check.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
$419 for the BDX that has a canned tune from SCT similar to the Ford Performance time (at least that was what mine had). And then custom tuning where he has free revisions, etc. is $249. That's what I see on his site.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
My pricing was a little different and he has changed some things, so I would contact Torrie to be sure

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
$419 for the BDX that has a canned tune from SCT similar to the Ford Performance time (at least that was what mine had). And then custom tuning where he has free revisions, etc. is $249. That's what I see on his site.
So the box for $419 has tunes already in it ? I'm not really confused , just stupid...

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So the box for $419 has tunes already in it ? I'm not really confused , just stupid...
They usually have tunes, but to get cust tuning where you take logs or drive it and ask for tweaks, etc. it is $249 extra. That's different than before, so I would ask to be sure. He gets right back to you. I don't think he sleeps or has a life outside of work. Lol. I feel bad sometimes because he will literally send me a revision at 11:00 at night.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
They usually have tunes, but to get cust tuning where you take logs or drive it and ask for tweaks, etc. it is $249 extra. That's different than before, so I would ask to be sure. He gets right back to you. I don't think he sleeps or has a life outside of work. Lol. I feel bad sometimes because he will literally send me a revision at 11:00 at night.
That's great customer service that you just don't see much of anymore. Torrie obviously loves his job and customers and takes care of them. I was torn between going with his tune or Livernois and even though I love my Livernois tune I will most likely try the Unleashed tune on my next Ranger.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
When I requested my custom tune from Torrie I told him I wanted the shift points for tow mode in drive but I didn't want the rpm hang when you let off the gas or the aggressive down shifting. Took two revisions to the original tune to nail it but I am thrilled. No more running down the road with the rpm down below 1500 rpm (it stays between 1500 and 2000 rpm). Where I was constantly locking out gears or using tow mode I just put it in Drive and go, don't think about the transmission any more. It is how the transmission should have been from the factory.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
If you order the power pack you get the tuner, two custom tunes, new spark plugs and a colder thermostat for $599.00

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
When I requested my custom tune from Torrie I told him I wanted the shift points for tow mode in drive but I didn't want the rpm hang when you let off the gas or the aggressive down shifting. Took two revisions to the original tune to nail it but I am thrilled. No more running down the road with the rpm down below 1500 rpm (it stays between 1500 and 2000 rpm). Where I was constantly locking out gears or using tow mode I just put it in Drive and go, don't think about the transmission any more. It is how the transmission should have been from the factory.
Pretty much what I have now as well. We started with Sport and worked down. Basically the same results. How is downshifting?

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Right now in normal it keeps it around 2000rpm unless you have been steady state on flat ground for a while and it is between 1500 and 2000. 7th gear comes in at 50mph, 8th 60, 9th 65, and 10th at 70. Downshifts quickly when needed. Just press the throttle a little if you want it on demand.

Unlike you I like the downshifting and braking in tow/haul because it is about what I would do if the truck were a manual. But this way I have 3 distinct modes which is nice.
Sponsored