First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
retired
obviously you have never done any research on this snake oil.
"Unfortunately, there is no hard evidence that deer whistles work – that deer can actually hear the whistles or, if they do, that they're turned away from the road," says Russ Rader, spokesman for the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Some backwoods guys swear by them. Did you have them? Did anyone?
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Some backwoods guys swear by them. Did you have them? Did anyone?
They came on the used Harley I bought long ago. They looked really weird so I did some reseach and decided to remove them. Seriously, there is no conclusive evidence that they work. If anything, it's just another one of those things deer get used to. Sure, you will have people who say the have never hit a deer with them. But I could say that too if 2/3 of my commute wasn't backroads. Never hit one on the Harely. I won't go as far to say they do nothing, but they are surely overrated. 10 minutes of DuckDuckGo will back that up.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I think loud exhaust scares them away more than those whistles. Only car I've hit one in was my 72 Caprice with the OE or better quiet exhaust on it. Luckly it was built like a tank and gutted the deer on impact with the non-pedestrian friendly front end. I only got a little dent on the fender and a bunch of poop to wash off. Deer stink!

Everything else I've driving has had loud exhaust, even OE like the RS, or the older Hondas sometimes had manifold exhaust leaks that were noisy.

Dogdays

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
retired
They came on the used Harley I bought long ago. They looked really weird so I did some reseach and decided to remove them. Seriously, there is no conclusive evidence that they work. If anything, it's just another one of those things deer get used to. Sure, you will have people who say the have never hit a deer with them. But I could say that too if 2/3 of my commute wasn't backroads. Never hit one on the Harely. I won't go as far to say they do nothing, but they are surely overrated. 10 minutes of DuckDuckGo will back that up.
I hope you're right for your sake. If you hit a deer while on a Harley, you're done. As for me, I'd put'em on, at least it has a good chance of being effective. You may hit one now that they are off.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I hope you're right for your sake. If you hit a deer while on a Harley, you're done. As for me, I'd put'em on, at least it has a good chance of being effective. You may hit one now that they are off.
In my experience the deer whistles are just something for the deer to hear , stand perfectly still in the middle of the road and wonder WTF is that sound ?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Been off for years, and by your own measure, the noise is more effective. Also there is no horizontal surface to mount them on, so they were at a weird angle that probably made them useless.
Seriusly though, just spend about 10-15 minutes of research. It's pretty overhelming that they don't work. Have you ever cleaned them? Even if they worked, being on the front of a vehicle they catch debris all the time.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
My mother is 93 and still driving daily. Since she was 12.
Never had deer whistles and never hit a deer.
Does this prove not having them is good?
Maybe, if they don't hear that strange noise, they might not stop in the middle of the road and say "what's that?" I mostly made that up, but it actually sounds plausble.
Sponsored