First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Worst I saw was a transport vs black bear. The bear exploded. Not a pretty sight.
Sponsored

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Oh deer, that stinks.

My worst story comes from when I was riding in the tail gunner position in the family Caprice. Guy behind us was driving a bit lifted chevy with massive tires. He hit a ground hog, the splatter from that was insane.

Now that I think about it, the tail gunner seat in those old station wagons would be a death trap today.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
The radar from the sides when backing out would be nice in front of the sides if it didn't pick up everything like a passing car. This pic attached was from the last deer crash I worked, I think it's a Sierra. Loaded was new, totaled it. Set off all the bags. Other wise it needs a windshield, radiator and core support.

20180830_010409.jpg
That's a Silverado. And your name fits in this thread perfectly ?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm pretty sure it was a death trap back then too. It's just that the whole car was a death trap back then, so it probably wasn't necessarily statistically worse sitting in a rear facing back seat. haha
People didn't drive as fast either, it was unheard of to be doing 80+ on the highway, it happens all the time here.

That is the only reason I have a newer vehicle, if it wasn't for the risk of a crash I'd be driving a restored Bronco.

Deleted member 1634

People didn't drive as fast either, it was unheard of to be doing 80+ on the highway, it happens all the time here.

That is the only reason I have a newer vehicle, if it wasn't for the risk of a crash I'd be driving a restored Bronco.
True. I'm of the apparently unpopular opinion that, outside of divided freeways in the plains (and maybe not even there), people shouldn't be driving that fast anyways. But that's a cultural problem I've accepted as unchangeable as this point.

Safety is definitely a plus in newer vehicles.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Know a lady who hit a deer and it came through the windshield, she sustained serious injuries and was hospitalized for several weeks, her vehicle was totaled so she bought a Taco and has those thick tubular steel bars installed on the front , I'm seeing more of those of late.
I was driving on a well traveled road in a Denver suburb around 5:30 PM and a herd of deer decided to make a road crossing, lots of cars on the road, a big one attempted to hurdle my car, it's front hoof caught the rear of the front fender where it meets the door, put a big dent in it but then it went over heels and landed flush on my windshield, totally covering it, it then stood up and bounded away leaving several creases on the front hood, however a short distance down the road there was a tall delivery truck stopped and on the road was a deer that was decapitated, have to assume it hit the front bumper and off went it's head.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
When I was stationed in TX, a friend of mine was managing about 350 acres of land right along Hwy 287. He called me early one morning and asked me to go check out a scene where a semi hit 2 cows, since it was right along the property. Huge mess on the highway and the semi's front end was obliterated. The Texas DPS (state troopers) had to use a truck to drag the remnants into the ditch. Luckily, for my friend, they weren't his cows.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
That's a Silverado. And your name fits in this thread perfectly ?
Yea my namesake, at deer camp we label the guy who bags the smallest deer of opening weekend a fawnbuster. Doesn't matter if it's an 8 point buck, if he's the smallest bodied deer he's a fawnbuster. Although in late December if a guy doesn't have a deer in the freezer, a tender fawn is looking pretty good ?

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yea my namesake, at deer camp we label the guy who bags the smallest deer of opening weekend a fawnbuster. Doesn't matter if it's an 8 point buck, if he's the smallest bodied deer he's a fawnbuster. Although in late December if a guy doesn't have a deer in the freezer, a tender fawn is looking pretty good ?
I new a guy that never went deer hunting per say. He always went with a group just to get away take care of camp & do all the cooking. He usually had the first deer hanging when others came back to camp. :clap:

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Oh deer, that stinks.

My worst story comes from when I was riding in the tail gunner position in the family Caprice. Guy behind us was driving a bit lifted chevy with massive tires. He hit a ground hog, the splatter from that was insane.

Now that I think about it, the tail gunner seat in those old station wagons would be a death trap today.
That was my assigned seat, until the vehicle behind us panic stopped behind me and I saw my life flash before my eyes

OP
OP

Theslim_spaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT (she gone) 2022 BD Bronco
Occupation
Finance
That's one of the least damaged after deer impact vehicles I've seen, given the impact speed, so you faired pretty darn well all things considered. I think it probably helped that you hit it straight on and not with the corner. Distributed the impact better this way.

As far as Pre-collision response, I'm sure it probably would've picked it up if it was standing in the road, like if you were coming around a corner in the dark or something, or walking out of the ditch. But I'd bet something darting out into the road like that is just too fast for it to recognize and respond. Maybe someday. And even then, it won't solve the problem completely. Sometimes there's just no chance at any response time.
Was heading to work earlier then usual by about an hour (thanks standard time) and a big buck decided he was done with 2020. I hit him flush going 45-50. The deer was nowhere to be found once i parked and scouted for him. All things considered I am pretty happy with how the truck reacted to such an impact and it is still driveable. Luckily the airbags did not deploy. Should be fun to see what the total cost of repairs will be.

20201104_064657.jpg

20201104_064706.jpg

20201104_064715.jpg

20201104_064736.jpg
The initial estimate came back at $4,100. I'm sure it will increase once they get everything off. Hoping the radiator and intercooler are dinged up enough to warrant replacing cause they took some licks.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a pic of my F150 from July when a deer decided to jump in front of me. $6,500.00 later & it's fixed. Good thing it's a company truck.

018.jpg
Hi Jeff,

Wow....the only way we avoid any of this is to be in bed at 8pm. After a night of dancing at the Elks Club here in Green Valley...our worst nightmare is to hit a Javolina. Like hitting a brick wall.

collared_peccary_1.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored