Hit by a deer @ 65mph

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I only got a little dent on the fender and a bunch of poop to wash off. Deer stink!
What stinks is what is in their stomach and guts. The poop is barely
discernable. If you can field dress a deer without cutting into the stomach you don't get much stink.
Sponsored

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Does she live here:
1669407304415.png

Or Here:
1669407396163.png
Most of her life in rural areas. Not the midwest though.
Alaska, Idaho, Arizona, Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains, rural North Carolina.
Thousands of miles in motor homes every year for a couple of decades. From Florida to Alaska and most of Canada.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I dunno, sounds like BS to me. Deer stikes are almost always unavoidable. Nobody tries to hit deer. When I had a turkey strike, I was not asked "did the turkey hit you or did you hit the turkey"?
Wife was driving in Prescott AZ last March(ish? - I don't remember the exact date).
A Honda in the oncoming lane clipped the butt of a Ford F150 when moving to pass.
Honda lost control and rolled his car in the median.
Honda rolling in the median kicked up a wall of gravel and debris that came into my wife's lane.
With no time to react or anywhere to go she was struck by the debris.

When we were filing the report on insurance she said "I hit the rocks" and that started an insurance $#!+ show with Farmers. When she called our broker to get clarity on why Farmers was being a horses-patoot they clarified for her that if you say "I hit xxx it" it looks like you did the hitting when in reality "I was struck by xxx" makes it look like you were the innocent bystander who received the unavoidable impact. We amended our report to change the language from "I hit" to I was struck by" and all of the sudden they got 110% easier to deal with.

Yes it sounds like utter BS and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't lived through the experience, but there it is, a legitimate, real world, literal example of how an insurance company ingests your report and converts it into assessing responsibility.

You are free to do with that info what you like. Like Dancing Dougie Hall "Your Favorite Indian" says, "If you like my words today, feel free to use them. If you don't, then don't worry 'bout it; they aren't for you."

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Wife was driving in Prescott AZ last March(ish? - I don't remember the exact date).
A Honda in the oncoming lane clipped the butt of a Ford F150 when moving to pass.
Honda lost control and rolled his car in the median.
Honda rolling in the median kicked up a wall of gravel and debris that came into my wife's lane.
With no time to react or anywhere to go she was struck by the debris.

When we were filing the report on insurance she said "I hit the rocks" and that started an insurance $#!+ show with Farmers. When she called our broker to get clarity on why Farmers was being a horses-patoot they clarified for her that if you say "I hit xxx it" it looks like you did the hitting when in reality "I was struck by xxx" makes it look like you were the innocent bystander who received the unavoidable impact. We amended our report to change the language from "I hit" to I was struck by" and all of the sudden they got 110% easier to deal with.

Yes it sounds like utter BS and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't lived through the experience, but there it is, a legitimate, real world, literal example of how an insurance company ingests your report and converts it into assessing responsibility.

You are free to do with that info what you like. Like Dancing Dougie Hall "Your Favorite Indian" says, "If you like my words today, feel free to use them. If you don't, then don't worry 'bout it; they aren't for you."
I get it, but rocks aren't animals or innocent bystanders. Maybe that Farmers adjuster got schooled that day. I had to make a claim when "I hit" gravel and wiped out on the Harley. Progressive didn't even bat an eye to put the claim through.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I get it, but rocks aren't animals or innocent bystanders. Maybe that Farmers adjuster got schooled that day. I had to make a claim when "I hit" gravel and wiped out on the Harley. Progressive didn't even bat an eye to put the claim through.
Exactly.

A deer is much different than a rock.

On a related note.

DO NOT Swerve for an animal in the road. Brakes only. If you hit a deer it's an "act of god" and you generally won't be charged as "at fault." As you said earlier.

If you swerve to miss the deer and go off the road hitting a tree, or worse into oncoming traffic, well now you have an at fault accident. And your proof otherwise has trotted off into the woods.

This may not apply up north where the creatures are big enough to kill you even in modern vehicles.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Exactly.

A deer is much different than a rock.

On a related note.

DO NOT Swerve for an animal in the road. Brakes only. If you hit a deer it's an "act of god" and you generally won't be charged as "at fault." As you said earlier.

If you swerve to miss the deer and go off the road hitting a tree, or worse into oncoming traffic, well now you have an at fault accident. And your proof otherwise has trotted off into the woods.

This may not apply up north where the creatures are big enough to kill you even in modern vehicles.
I've always told people to hit the animal. I clipped a bear once and only picked up some hair in the bumper.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've always told people to hit the animal. I clipped a bear once and only picked up some hair in the bumper.
I was thinking more specifically moose. Might have to take my chances swerving if I saw one of those beasts in the road.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
I was thinking more specifically moose. Might have to take my chances swerving if I saw one of those beasts in the road.
Yup, moose is bad. It's top heavy with long legs and when car hits it the legs go under and the moose lands in the passenger cabin through the windshield. Having a 1000lbs meat sack landing on you at 60 mph is pretty much deadly.
Sponsored