First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
The main thing with insurance is that times are changing.
What might have applied last year, or 5 years ago doesn't give insight into whats happening tomorrow.
Insurance companies have lived high on the hog for a long time. Large disasters are destroying their profits.
If you haven't been hit by a money saving decision yet, you will at some point.

My personal experiences of the covid years, one step child minor accident. Insurance covered the damage, then they were dropped and labelled high risk. In Laws, flood last winter in basement from blocked sanitary sewer, (5 years after last claim of flooded basement from torrential rains and an overflowed storm sewer)....last chance, they were told in writing that if there is a third claim, it's not covered. Sure they still have insurance for other things at an increased rate, but floods have been removed from their policy.
If you've been on the receiving end of a good deer hit outcome, great, pat on the back for you. Other people aren't getting so lucky anymore.
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Exactly.

A deer is much different than a rock.

On a related note.

DO NOT Swerve for an animal in the road. Brakes only. If you hit a deer it's an "act of god" and you generally won't be charged as "at fault." As you said earlier.

If you swerve to miss the deer and go off the road hitting a tree, or worse into oncoming traffic, well now you have an at fault accident. And your proof otherwise has trotted off into the woods.

This may not apply up north where the creatures are big enough to kill you even in modern vehicles.
Excellent point!
Funny story, locally here there was what seemed to be a very irresponsible public service type news story where they recomended not hitting the brakes. I am serious! They said that a vehicle's front end will dive making it more likely the deer will bounce up and hit the windshield. It's better to just hit it squarely. WHAT? While I can I see that may be true on a limited number of vehicle types, it can't possibly be good advice in general.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Yup, moose is bad. It's top heavy with long legs and when car hits it the legs go under and the moose lands in the passenger cabin through the windshield. Having a 1000lbs meat sack landing on you at 60 mph is pretty much deadly.
Yeah, but you should still try to slow down as much as possible, swerve as a last resort.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The main thing with insurance is that times are changing.
What might have applied last year, or 5 years ago doesn't give insight into whats happening tomorrow.
Insurance companies have lived high on the hog for a long time. Large disasters are destroying their profits.
If you haven't been hit by a money saving decision yet, you will at some point.

My personal experiences of the covid years, one step child minor accident. Insurance covered the damage, then they were dropped and labelled high risk. In Laws, flood last winter in basement from blocked sanitary sewer, (5 years after last claim of flooded basement from torrential rains and an overflowed storm sewer)....last chance, they were told in writing that if there is a third claim, it's not covered. Sure they still have insurance for other things at an increased rate, but floods have been removed from their policy.
If you've been on the receiving end of a good deer hit outcome, great, pat on the back for you. Other people aren't getting so lucky anymore.
Yep. It's a SLIPPERY slope. :wink:

Excellent point!
Funny story, locally here there was what seemed to be a very irresponsible public service type news story where they recomended not hitting the brakes. I am serious! They said that a vehicle's front end will dive making it more likely the deer will bounce up and hit the windshield. It's better to just hit it squarely. WHAT? While I can I see that may be true on a limited number of vehicle types, it can't possibly be good advice in general.
That advice seems downright reckless.

Last edited:

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
Wow that deer did some damage. Hope you're safe and ok and from what I've seen these Rangers sure do protect the driver and passengers.
my 2019 with the Ford Performance chip upgrade is making 28mpg when i don't drive like a mental case. Sure the tuner cost me $800 but when i want to pass someone, the power is there
Sponsored