Help with bedliner/tonneau covers

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Have had trucks before but never added a bedliner or used a tonneau cover. I've tried to read a bunch about both but still could use some advice and have some questions. My needs are essentially just to protect the bed as I'll be using it a lot, and to protect cargo from the elements and thieves (so targeting hard tonneau covers for the security).

I've been looking mainly at a line-x spray in bedliner, have looked a bit at bedrug or drop in bedliner but I like the idea of the spray in better. For line-x one thing I'm a bit concerned about is overspray -- is this a legit issue or are they good about avoiding that, and if there is some overspray is it able to be taken care of? Also, does the line-x affect the drain hole plugs, tie downs, etc.? Seems like sometimes they spray over those and sometimes they don't? I'd like to keep those relatively unaffected, should I just take them out before bringing it in? If I take them out will the spray get in the threads for the tiedown screws or can that be avoided?

Any upsides to drop in over spray in? Anything else I should keep in mind with a spray in bedliner?

For tonneau covers I don't really know where to start except that it likely needs to be a hard cover for security and needs to keep the bed pretty much completely dry/clean if possible -- minimal dust isn't a big deal but will have cargo that I can't have getting wet. I could also see myself adding a rack so ideally would be able to add the rack with the cover. Also, don't really want to drill any holes in the bed for this as at some point a few years down the line I'll probably want a topper so this isn't permanent.

Any difference between hard rolling and hard folding other than preference? I've looked at the Bakflips, the Gator too which is cheaper but not sure why (is it worse quality, more likely to leak?). Any recommendations or other brands to check out? Also I can't really tell the difference between the different bakflip models and they're so close in price that it wouldn't seem to be significant (i.e. x4s and x2 rolling covers).

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions
Sponsored

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Love the Line-X spray-n. Couldn't give away my bedliner on craigslist. Line-X just cut them up and throws them away at no charge.
How much you want to spend on the tonneau cover depends on what you're looking at spending. Since I bought my truck used, it came with a Gator soft cover that rolls up. It has a couple of half inch tubes underneath the cover to protect it to it from sagging down I suppose. I use a good 3M UV blocker on it to keep the sun from rotting it away here in Florida..
I really want to get the retractable cover but they're $1200 - $1800. (Remember we're in a bad recession and prices are going up on everything.)

This backflip fold-up is really popular...
https://bakflip.com/p/bakflip-mx4-tonneau-cover/bak-448332/

I like this Undercover Ultra Flex because it's very low profile and I'm really thinking about going with this one…
https://realtruck.com/p/undercover-ultra-flex-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2019/?kpid=go_cmp-92082789_adg-44995468547_ad-466349631029_kwd-311533187188_dev-c_ext-_prd-_sig-EAIaIQobChMI2tby4dqS8gIV1AmICR2tHA6SEAAYAiAAEgINSPD_BwE&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Tonneau Cover&utm_term=ultra flex tonneau cover&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2tby4dqS8gIV1AmICR2tHA6SEAAYAiAAEgINSPD_BwE

Here's a retractable. I think others make them also so you'd have to Google it...
https://retrax.com/products/2019/ford/ranger

Whatever you decide send pics. Also, when I texted at real trucks and gator, the person on the other side offered me a $50 discount I think(could have been $100) if I placed my order through the text.

Nothing seems to be 100% waterproof although a good installer knows where the water comes in from especially that part of the bed closest to the back window sits lower than the sides. (I know there's a name for it and cannot think of it – perhaps bulkhead?)

I want the hardcover or the retractable for when I travel and can feel more secure about my stuff in there. With the soft covers, some jerk can come along and slash it open with a pocket knife just to see if anything's in there or on the Velcro the sides rip it up to see if they can find something in the bed.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I think the drain is in the front of the bed along the bottom corner - after a spray in mine seems unaffected.

I went with Bullet liner - seems the founder of LineX formed a second company after the non-compete ended. I like that the base bullet liner is UV resistant (vs being an upcharge on LineX).

Overspray is a non-issue. they will tape off/cover and spray carefully. This is more about the shop though, so look at reviews.

I would say that drop-ins generally can help prevent denting a bit more, but the issue of trapped moisture was enough for me to skip a drop-in.

With respect to covers, I went with a folding. I got the Undercover flex. I'm not sure what the difference between the flex & ultra flex is, but it installs very well and is also low-profile. I think a pry bar would be needed to really get in. I got mine via an amazon warehouse deal for about half of MSRP, so that didn't hurt either. It has seals up front to keep most of the water out, but the tailgate in particular has very large gaps from the factory. You can get foam kits to seal it up, but i haven't bothered because i want to be able to pressure wash the bed clean (and imagine stick on foam will be blown right off).

edit: seems the Ultra flex is aluminum panels, and the regular is fiberglass reinforced plastic. Honestly, the flex seems quite strong. It is interesting that it lists the max weight as 400 for the ultra, and 300 for the regular. I would think the brackets that attach the rails to the bed would be the weakest point, by far, and that hardware looks identical between the two.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
If you go for a spray in liner, see if there is a Bullet Liner in your area...that's what I got.
The guy that started Line X got fed up with the company and left, started another company, Bullet Liner and uses a different formula.
Impressed with mine.
As for a tonneau...thats personal choice as to type you want and $$$ you have to spend. I'll be going with a Weather Tech soft roll up due to there quality and lifetime warranty. But again, comes down to personal preference.
What you might want to ask members..."would you buy your tonneau cover again" !

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you go for a spray in liner, see if there is a Bullet Liner in your area...that's what I got.
The guy that started Line X got fed up with the company and left, started another company, Bullet Liner and uses a different formula.
Impressed with mine.
As for a tonneau...thats personal choice as to type you want and $$$ you have to spend. I'll be going with a Weather Tech soft roll up due to there quality and lifetime warranty. But again, comes down to personal preference.
What you might want to ask members..."would you buy your tonneau cover again" !
Perfectly put. And I never knew or heard of Bullet Liner. Too late for me now.
The one thing I don't like about my soft cover is the car wash seems to be wearing it out on the edges. I go through one of those big automatic car washes that give you all the car washes you want up to twice a day for the month for $30 and so I go in there two - three times a week.
For that reason and the reason that my cover is not a low profile is the only reason I wouldn't replace mine with the same cover if this one wears out.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I have had the Bakflip on the last three F150’s. I like the security, don’t like the weight to flip a couple sections and how it rests against and block the rear window.
After much research and a mind-numbing number of YouTube videos, I opted for the Bak Revolver X4S. The roll-up is easier to operate, doesn’t block as much of the window, is as easily removed at the Flip, and is still secure (I know they are defeatable, takes more than a knife). Not cheap, but I plan to keep this one for years. Hope to have it next week. Will post more once I install it.

SpaceGhost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I just ordered the BAK 4s from tonneaucovered.com. Got what I think is a great deal. $100+ off what other sites had it listed for, no sales tax and free shipping.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
+1 for BulletLiner. I'm VERY happy with mine - imho it's a better product than Line-X, and was a little cheaper to get installed. Check reviews of local shops though, as the quality of the install matters a lot.

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
my truck came with ford bedliner,, no complaints... i did get a hard folding tonneau... i ended up with a leer hf350 and am very happy with it... no drain tubes, better latch system, came complete with thick insulation for front bed rail, shims for side rails if needed.. as far as leaks, i dont have it quite where i want it, need to move it towards tailgate about 1/2 inch... we have had some serious downpours in last few weeks, and its 99.9% bone dry.... now thats mostly with it sitting still when it rains hard.. never really looked after driving in hard rain, but always seems to be dry....very pleased so far.

jpr9954

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onlygunsandmoney.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 4X4
Occupation
Financial Services
I just ordered the BAK 4s from tonneaucovered.com. Got what I think is a great deal. $100+ off what other sites had it listed for, no sales tax and free shipping.
Thanks for posting that site. I saved about $130 going through them.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, I had a pickup with a drop in bed liner. I was hit and it was going to the body shop. They asked me if I could store it at home because they didn't have a secure place. I was shocked at how much rust was on the bed floor and wheel wells when I removed.

I am retiring my 01 Dakota pickup, it has a Line-X spray in liner. After 20 years it is holding up very well but it has faded and has a chauky appearance.

Next Friday the new Ranger goes in for a Bullet spray in liner. I chose them over Line-X and Rhino because they are the closest place to my house, have a great reputation and we're $50 cheaper. It's to be seen if the UV protection in Bullet really keeps it looking better longer.

OP
OP
tremorman

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
FWIW, I had a pickup with a drop in bed liner. I was hit and it was going to the body shop. They asked me if I could store it at home because they didn't have a secure place. I was shocked at how much rust was on the bed floor and wheel wells when I removed.

I am retiring my 01 Dakota pickup, it has a Line-X spray in liner. After 20 years it is holding up very well but it has faded and has a chauky appearance.

Next Friday the new Ranger goes in for a Bullet spray in liner. I chose them over Line-X and Rhino because they are the closest place to my house, have a great reputation and we're $50 cheaper. It's to be seen if the UV protection in Bullet really keeps it looking better longer.
Where in MA are you? I've still been looking around at Line-X and Bullet and was going to schedule something soon, was planning to call for quotes at the different locations within an hour or two of Boston. You going to bullet liner of central MA? What was the quote? Let me know how it turns out, if their quality on yours is good I may just go with that too.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Where in MA are you? I've still been looking around at Line-X and Bullet and was going to schedule something soon, was planning to call for quotes at the different locations within an hour or two of Boston. You going to bullet liner of central MA? What was the quote? Let me know how it turns out, if their quality on yours is good I may just go with that too.
I believe I've mentioned my experience earlier up in this thread, but I've been so happy with my Bullet liner that it bears repeating: I love it. It's held up to 1.5 years of abuse and still looks as good as the day it was installed. If I was shopping for a new liner, I'd go straight back to Bullet.

MB787

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
I used them, the one in Auburn correct?
They were great, I think they quoted me $50 less than Line-X in Marlboro. They plugged all the threaded holes for me and it came out awesome.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I live on the south shore. D.E.A Automotive in Plymouth near the airport is doing the Bullet liner for $575.00.

Rhino of Cape Cod quoted $625.
Sponsored