Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
They work extremely well. I had ice tacking onto the wipers fast this morning and it popped into my head “I think I have heated wipers on this truck.” All you have to do is manually press the rear defroster button on the climate control panel. That heats the lower windshield with a heating element (like the rear defroster) so they can warm up at the bottom of their stroke and when stored.

And apparently they automatically activate during a remote start in cold weather.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
They work extremely well. I had ice tacking onto the wipers fast this morning and it popped into my head “I think I have heated wipers on this truck.” All you have to do is manually press the rear defroster button on the climate control panel. That heats the lower windshield with a heating element (like the rear defroster) so they can warm up at the bottom of their stroke and when stored.

And apparently they automatically activate during a remote start in cold weather.
I knew it was on there but wasn't sure exactly how they worked. Kind of unintuitive to press the REAR defroster to affect the FRONT windshield, but that is good info. Thanks for posting it. I probably won't have an option to try it out for quite a few months now.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I knew it was on there but wasn't sure exactly how they worked. Kind of unintuitive to press the REAR defroster to affect the FRONT windshield, but that is good info. Thanks for posting it. I probably won't have an option to try it out for quite a few months now.
And that also activates the heat in the mirrors (if equipped). Works great as I had it on my 2015 Explorer too.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And that also activates the heat in the mirrors (if equipped). Works great as I had it on my 2015 Explorer too.
Really? I had assumed the side mirror heat was kind of "automatic", but never looked into it. So activating the rear defroster activates both the side mirror defrost and the wiper heat?

Wow, I learn new stuff about my truck almost every day! This is an awesome forum!

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Really? I had assumed the side mirror heat was kind of "automatic", but never looked into it. So activating the rear defroster activates both the side mirror defrost and the wiper heat?

Wow, I learn new stuff about my truck almost every day! This is an awesome forum!
Yup, the one button activates all 3 (if equipped), and yes this is a great forum for knowledge sharing.
upload_2019-5-9_8-17-48.png

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I am glad that it says "if equipped. " That is the beauty of the XL . "NOT equipped with all of that weenie stuff. That is why trucks are so expensive because of all the flu-flu fluff that car people want on trucks. :giggle:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am glad that it says "if equipped. " That is the beauty of the XL . "NOT equipped with all of that weenie stuff. That is why trucks are so expensive because of all the flu-flu fluff that car people want on trucks. :giggle:
To each his own. I consider myself a "truck guy", but I'm getting older and this is my daily driver and I like all the weenie stuff. In fact, that is the prime reason I sold my 2005 Ranger - it was a 5 speed and my knees can't take the clutch in stop and go driving. It is fine when I'm driving to the hardware store or to a hike, but stop and go traffic was just killing my left knee. So I needed an automatic - the 4 doors was a bonus for me as I can now take more than 1 person when I go hiking if needed.

That is why there are different trim levels - for different tastes.

If I REALLY want a no frills driving experience, I drive my 1973 Capri 4 speed..... That is a lot of fun, but I'm too old for it to work as a daily driver anymore.

REDWM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing that is only on the Lariat package.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Thats how they all work. My Jeep is the same. Activated with rear defrost.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Thanks for the info, so basically rear defroster turns on the mirrors and wiper de-icer too, nice

I wonder if that is how it is in my Escape with the heated mirrors, it has the logo but I've never found a button, prob the rear defrost

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Yes, I doubt I would ever buy a fancy fully loaded vehicle. Too much to break on it. I would have gotten the manual windows and door locks if it was still available. My '02 Ranger Edge had manual windows and locks.

TimberWolf2018

First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, crew,
But Matthew, it is a Ranger so anything that breaks will be fun and easy to fix :)

I actually use to do the exact same thing both my 88 and 11 rangers had as much low tech as I could get
mechanical windows, locks, transmission, seats... This time I went fully loaded we will see if I regret it, dont think I will though
Sponsored