Had both a Gladiator Rubicon and now a Ranger Tremor. My impressions.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I don't have much to go on yet, but if I was putting money on how things will turn out after a few more fill-ups and computer versus calculator calibrations, your results would be my guess where I will end up as my real world mileage.

The thing that is really puzzling with Phil_R's results are his Tremor tires have to make a negative impact over what I am running on my stock XLT FX4 w/Sport package (265/65-17 Hankook's), yet he is getting MUCH better results, even MUCH better than EPA estimates.
so many variables its tough to say what is the link to ones mpg numbers. it could be elevation, temperature, road conditions, driver differences or even fuel quality and so on. Phil-r may have gotten lucky and got a really well built ranger. Not every truck off the line is equal. I have noticed I get better mpg when I fill up at newer name brand stations.
Sponsored

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
The 10 speed does shift very smoothly but it always wants to be in 10th gear even as low as 47mph. There is a reason why it has lockout gear capability. You just got it, give it time for you to experience it’s quirks and the silly “it has to learn your driving habits”

No way your getting actual 26 mpg on a tremor.
The 10 speed does shift very smoothly but it always wants to be in 10th gear even as low as 47mph. There is a reason why it has lockout gear capability. You just got it, give it time for you to experience it’s quirks and the silly “it has to learn your driving habits”

No way your getting actual 26 mpg on a tremor.
Tow Haul mode mostly keeps you out of 10th gear.
1652507008080.png

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Just traded in a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with 2580 miles on a new 2022 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor.
The reason for trading was to get quite a bit on money back on trade and get better gas mileage.
I decided that if I did any off roading it would be very light trails.
I do not like dents & pinstripes in the paint.

The Jeep stickered for about 57.5K

The Ranger for about 44.5 K

What I liked about the Jeep Gladiator:
Front and rear lockers.
Able to disconnect front sway bar with a switch in the truck.
Falken Wild Peak tires 33 inch
Able to remove the roof (Freedom panels)
Good ride for a Jeep.
Heated steering wheel & seats.
Good interior storage under back seat
Split rear folding rear seat back.
Subwoofer and darn nice stereo.
Extensive aftermarket support.
Hold their value when trading in or selling.

What I like about the Ranger Tremor so far:
Better gas mileage.
Better seats, for my back & bottom anyway.
Electric adjustable seats.
Will do what I need on easy trails if I so desire even w/o the front locker.
Value for the money I believe.

I liked both, however getting the Ranger plus money back, will help me fund a few more things around our home.
I think the Ranger will be all I need in a midsized truck.
Now what to do with the brand new winch, brand new front offroad bumper, Jeep caps & stuff, and all them damn rubber ducks!!!
Thanks for posting this, man. I am not thinking of ever buying a Gladiator, but a Tremor might be in the cards at some point. How would you compare their suspensions for on-road rides? Which one rocks your butt the most on bumps and rough patches?

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
I thought about a Gladiator (looked online only) before buying my Ranger but decided to stay true to my history with Ford. No regrets. :like:

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
Thanks for posting this, man. I am not thinking of ever buying a Gladiator, but a Tremor might be in the cards at some point. How would you compare their suspensions for on-road rides? Which one rocks your butt the most on bumps and rough patches?
Actually, I think they are pretty close with the Gladiator riding slighter better!

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Maybe you are a hard core off roader in your Ranger???
I’ve never avoided a trail because it doesn’t have a locker up front. The Ranger is plenty capable off road and I’d follow a Gladiator anywhere in mine.

I’ve definitely had my Ranger in some pretty sketchy places and it has always performed fine.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I just traveled from Washington to Maine towing a 4000 pound 7x14x7 cargo trailer conversion. 10.3 mpg, hand calculated, matched up pretty well with the dash display of 10.2 for the trip. Kept it to 60, 65 the entire trip with tow/haul mode on. That was an expensive trip.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Actually, I think they are pretty close with the Gladiator riding slighter better!
I agree. I can't speak for the Gladiator, but our Rubicon Unlimited would also get the nod over our new FX4 on or off road ride wise. The Tremor's suspension might draw them closer together as everything I have read from those in a position to judge say the Tremor's ride is decidedly superior to the FX4.

As far as seat comfort, I can't say our Rubicon was worse or better than the Ranger's, but I think everyone's back and butt is probably different. One area I think the Ranger is markedly better is in steering precision. I never experienced the "total lack of confidence in steering control" some report with the Wranglers, but our Ranger definitely is less "undecided" as it pertains to steering over the Rubicon Unlimited.

I have to say that now that I have the Ranger, I don't miss the Rubicon at all. For me, 99% of the time, the Ranger is a better choice for our on or off road needs. For the other 1%, well, we just suck it up. :)

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
OK I still believe that the dash calculated mileage is going to be within about 1 MPG on non city roads, without a lot of starts & stops. I just drove about 25 to 30 miles to another community and back again. I filled up before I came back. The first mileage is what I got on the way there. After gassing up, the second mileage is what I got on the way back, doing the speed limit, cruise control set at 55, and AC on.
Believe what you want....
IMG_2447.jpg
IMG_2458.jpg
Keep it under 1900 rpm / under 70mph, say 60 and feather it. Draft a little and watch the numbers go up!

Yeah that algorithm for calculating mileage is crazy good and bad. Depends what you want to see. It can be manipulated.

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
if they made a gladiator a two door, 6 foot bed and had the full size jeep front end like the older gladiators it would be a thing of beauty. but not many would buy them.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
I’ve never driven a gladiator, but just based on the geometry I don’t see how it can be nearly as good as the wrangler or any better than the ranger. In fact I bet the ranger is better off road (comparing stock to stock). Also I don’t think the front locker is doing as much as you think.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I'm getting 21mpg avg in my Jeep (I averaged 22ish in my Ranger) but the seat is terrible. Like the criteria for the seat was "Can you sit on the seat?" "Yes" "Ok that's checked, let's move on to the pedals". I'm looking at aftermarket seats.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm getting 21mpg avg in my Jeep (I averaged 22ish in my Ranger) but the seat is terrible. Like the criteria for the seat was "Can you sit on the seat?" "Yes" "Ok that's checked, let's move on to the pedals". I'm looking at aftermarket seats.
That's about what I was getting in mine with the 2.0 turbo. It was far from broke in (1,170 miles) so I'm assuming it would've been a little better in time. My Ranger is also the same as yours, I'm averaging 22.1 mpg.

My seats weren't bad at all but I know several were complaining about the angle to lack there of on the seats. I guess there's a kit that tilts them back a little (just unbolt/bolt on kit) and they said that helped a lot giving it a little angle back.
Sponsored