Had both a Gladiator Rubicon and now a Ranger Tremor. My impressions.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Why Adam, I didn't think that you liked Jeep Gladiators so much that you had to abruptly stop eating breakfast and go purchase one to go with your Ranger! You are much too easily influenced.... :LOL:
DBC0E2CD-4D4B-4F2F-B072-2C779B7944F0.jpeg
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
For what you want to do off road the tremor is gonna rock.

I don’t think sub 35” wheels (37 look even better) on a gladiator look good. The treamor wins hands down on the looks dept X10.

Your gonna miss that 8 speed transmission perfection. The rangers have too many gears at 10. The ZF trans is effortless and miles better than the 10 speed in the Ranger.

The best part is this forum, good group here. We do have a village idiot but I would never block him.
Show us some pics of these “35” wheels” lol.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
Guy I work with has a Gladiator. He asked me the other day how good was my mileage. Told him around 20 mpg. He shook his head looking down. I asked him what about his and he said it was around 13mpg! ? I said, on trails or highway? He said highway ?
I got about 18 to 20 MPG on the Gladiator. On the Ranger so far I get 23 to 26. Why your friend only gets 13 MPG is not usual, unless he has a big lift, big tires, or a 392 conversion etc.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
For what you want to do off road the tremor is gonna rock.

I don’t think sub 35” wheels (37 look even better) on a gladiator look good. The treamor wins hands down on the looks dept X10.

Your gonna miss that 8 speed transmission perfection. The rangers have too many gears at 10. The ZF trans is effortless and miles better than the 10 speed in the Ranger.

The best part is this forum, good group here. We do have a village idiot but I would never block him.
I do think that the Ranger looks better comparing the beds of both trucks. The rear tail lights just looked way too big on the Gladiator, IMO. I liked the front end looks of the Gladiator. Actually, I like the 10 speed Ford transmission better than the Jeep 8 speed. Seems to me that it shifts much smoother than the 8 speed.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I do think that the Ranger looks better comparing the beds of both trucks. The rear tail lights just looked way too big on the Gladiator, IMO. I liked the front end looks of the Gladiator. Actually, I like the 10 speed Ford transmission better than the Jeep 8 speed. Seems to me that it shifts much smoother than the 8 speed.
The 10 speed does shift very smoothly but it always wants to be in 10th gear even as low as 47mph. There is a reason why it has lockout gear capability. You just got it, give it time for you to experience it’s quirks and the silly “it has to learn your driving habits”

No way your getting actual 26 mpg on a tremor.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
The 10 speed does shift very smoothly but it always wants to be in 10th gear even as low as 47mph. There is a reason why it has lockout gear capability. You just got it, give it time for you to experience it’s quirks and the silly “it has to learn your driving habits”

No way your getting actual 26 mpg on a tremor.
You Joe are not correct! When I drive easy, which I do now a days ,as being retired and in no hurry normally, on the road at 55 to 60 MPH, I actually get 24 to 26 noted on the MPG indicator. I take off slow, run the speed limit or even sometimes a bit less, and just enjoy the cruise. Most people drive way over the posted limit, however at today's gas prices, I personally drive easy and enjoy good gas mileage. Now on my Harley, to avoid getting run over, I do run about 5 to 10 MPH over most of the time.
Yesterday, I drove mostly rural highway roads and some small town driving and pulled in my driveway with 25.1 MPG indicated. Truthfully!
Additionally, my tires are at 41 to 42 PSI now set that way from the dealer...

cVelBlu91

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 STX 4x4 "Big Blue"
Occupation
Payroll
You Joe are not correct! When I drive easy, which I do now a days ,as being retired and in no hurry normally, on the road at 55 to 60 MPH, I actually get 24 to 26 noted on the MPG indicator.
Yeah my F-150 will tell me it's averaging 19.4 and in reality it's more or less 18.9-19.0. It's an average and it slightly over estimates on Ford vehicles. Granted have you calculated a tank yet?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
Yeah my F-150 will tell me it's averaging 19.4 and in reality it's more or less 18.9-19.0. It's an average and it slightly over estimates on Ford vehicles. Granted have you calculated a tank yet?
I have not even been through a full tank of gas yet to "pump" calculate" it. I would agree it might be slightly less than indicated, however the stated window sticker of 19 MPG is not accurate. I am also going to reduce my tire pressure to 40 PSI all around as well. At that point if I even get 24 to 25 pump calculated, I will be very happy Chris. The 2.3 which I also have in our Explorer are great engines!!! Actually on the highway coming back from the dealership in the Ranger, I saw as high "indicated" as 27+ MPG. Mind you this was on a flat road going along at 65 MPH for about 10 miles. If someone here does not believe me, that is ok. I just know what I read as calculated on the dash.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I did the same thing.

21 Gladiator for a 21 Tremor.

I drove the Gladiator cross country and on the Transatlantic Trail.

The seats were terrible, the wind noise was horrible, the road manners were poor.

They also should have designed the Gladiator from the ground up, versus a JL front end and Ram rear. The porportions were off, especially offroad. They could have shrunk the front end and shrunk the cabin, that would have given it better offroad manners.

I eventually had mine on a 4.5 Clayton Offroad lift and 37s. I spent $20k in mods on it in 6 months.
Sounds like a good choice! You mentioned wind noise in the Gladiator being excessive. I find the wind noise in the Ranger worse than any vehicle I've ever owned especially on the freeway with the windows up. What is your experience with wind noise in the Tremor? Just got some WeatherTech side window deflectors to hopefully get some relief but haven't tested them yet.

Distance.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
If you haven't seen this, you really do need to see it.

Firefly
Not into movies for the most part Dennis. I am glad that you enjoy them though.
Have a good day!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Not into movies for the most part Dennis. I am glad that you enjoy them though.
Have a good day!
While there is a movie that kind of ties things up (Serenity), Firefly is a series from Joss Whedon back before he went psycho and was still a good writer.

I mainly like SciFi and good SciFi is hard to find in a video format (my main SciFi fix is Larry Niven books).

The images @AdamHarris posted were of Captain Mal from Firefly.

I just wanted to point you to their origins. :like:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I have not even been through a full tank of gas yet to "pump" calculate" it. I would agree it might be slightly less than indicated, however the stated window sticker of 19 MPG is not accurate. I am also going to reduce my tire pressure to 40 PSI all around as well. At that point if I even get 24 to 25 pump calculated, I will be very happy Chris. The 2.3 which I also have in our Explorer are great engines!!! Actually on the highway coming back from the dealership in the Ranger, I saw as high "indicated" as 27+ MPG. Mind you this was on a flat road going along at 65 MPH for about 10 miles. If someone here does not believe me, that is ok. I just know what I read as calculated on the dash.
Nobody thinks you're lying.

We're telling you that the numbers "as calculated on the dash" are bullshit.

Also, your tire pressure, as recommended by Ford is listed on the placard in the drivers door jamb. And it is nowhere near 40 psi.
Sponsored