Had both a Gladiator Rubicon and now a Ranger Tremor. My impressions.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
While there is a movie that kind of ties things up (Serenity), Firefly is a series from Joss Whedon back before he went psycho and was still a good writer.

I mainly like SciFi and good SciFi is hard to find in a video format (my main SciFi fix is Larry Niven books).

The images @AdamHarris posted were of Captain Mal from Firefly.

I just wanted to point you to their origins. :like:
I'm not super into to Sci-Fi, I dabble. But that was a GOOD series, the movie was pretty good too.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm not super into to Sci-Fi, I dabble. But that was a GOOD series, the movie was pretty good too.
"Oohh, I'm going to the special hell..."

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
They also should have designed the Gladiator from the ground up, versus a JL front end and Ram rear. The porportions were off, especially offroad. They could have shrunk the front end and shrunk the cabin, that would have given it better offroad manners.
Agree. The proportions are off and they don’t look right unless they’re lifted.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
You Joe are not correct! When I drive easy, which I do now a days ,as being retired and in no hurry normally, on the road at 55 to 60 MPH, I actually get 24 to 26 noted on the MPG indicator. I take off slow, run the speed limit or even sometimes a bit less, and just enjoy the cruise. Most people drive way over the posted limit, however at today's gas prices, I personally drive easy and enjoy good gas mileage. Now on my Harley, to avoid getting run over, I do run about 5 to 10 MPH over most of the time.
Yesterday, I drove mostly rural highway roads and some small town driving and pulled in my driveway with 25.1 MPG indicated. Truthfully!
Additionally, my tires are at 41 to 42 PSI now set that way from the dealer...
Not to be Debbie Downer, but I recently did my first fill-up and the difference between my computer generated mileage and the actual calculator mileage was over 3 MPG error on the high side. 24.6 MPG on the display, while 21.4 MPG on the calculator. The one factor that could help narrow the actual MPG versus computer displayed MPG gap, would be a difference in the amount of gas in the tank when I picked it up, versus my fill up (the salesman was just returning from the gas station fill-up in my new truck when I arrived to pick it up), but it likely isn't 3 MPG's worth. I will get to the bottom of it (and get my computer calibrated in the process), but I have definitely given up that I will be seeing 24 MPG on the display, once I get it calibrated.

To add insult to injury, the way you describe how you drive is exactly how I drive, at least while I am staring at the mileage display... ;)

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
As a data point on our Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (6 speed, V6), when we had 35X12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers, I rarely saw better than 13 MPG combined. When I switched to stock (for Rubicon) wheels and K02's, my combined jumped to around 16 MPG. With either setup, I never saw better than 10 MPG when out on the steeper, more grarly trails. Some of that I think is all the reving of the engine and slipping the clutch that is involved in using that ridiculous clutch/flywheel setup in the manual JL's.

cVelBlu91

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 STX 4x4 "Big Blue"
Occupation
Payroll
I have not even been through a full tank of gas yet to "pump" calculate" it. I would agree it might be slightly less than indicated, however the stated window sticker of 19 MPG is not accurate. I am also going to reduce my tire pressure to 40 PSI all around as well. At that point if I even get 24 to 25 pump calculated, I will be very happy Chris. The 2.3 which I also have in our Explorer are great engines!!! Actually on the highway coming back from the dealership in the Ranger, I saw as high "indicated" as 27+ MPG. Mind you this was on a flat road going along at 65 MPH for about 10 miles. If someone here does not believe me, that is ok. I just know what I read as calculated on the dash.

I'm not doubting what the truck is reporting, only thing I'm stating is, it's kind of a grain of salt thing with it. I'd love it if my F-150 actually achieved 19.something MPG (it will on the highway, it will not otherwise in the city). That said my Dad's Ranger tells him he's getting an average of 24.something and he usually gets to about 22 MPG in just mixed driving.

cVelBlu91

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 STX 4x4 "Big Blue"
Occupation
Payroll
Sounds like a good choice! You mentioned wind noise in the Gladiator being excessive. I find the wind noise in the Ranger worse than any vehicle I've ever owned especially on the freeway with the windows up. What is your experience with wind noise in the Tremor? Just got some WeatherTech side window deflectors to hopefully get some relief but haven't tested them yet.

Distance.jpg
Of all the Ford vehicles I've driven at highway speeds, my Focus, Fiesta, all older Rangers, and my 2006 F-150 when I had it were audibly unbearable at 70+ MPH. I thought my Dad's Ranger was fairly quiet but maybe not so (I haven't been in it on the highway in quite some time). My 2018 F-150 is fairly tolerable.

Now I want window deflectors. Is it really that bad in your Ranger?

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like a good choice! You mentioned wind noise in the Gladiator being excessive. I find the wind noise in the Ranger worse than any vehicle I've ever owned especially on the freeway with the windows up. What is your experience with wind noise in the Tremor? Just got some WeatherTech side window deflectors to hopefully get some relief but haven't tested them yet.

Distance.jpg
Wind noise is not a problem on my Ranger what so ever.

You might want to try adjusting your door latches and/or hinges, and inspect your seals.

I obviously have a crew cab.

Also I use Gummi Pflege on all of my cars: https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Welcome to the Ranger club!

The mpg on my dash reliably reads 1 mpg higher than when I hand calculate it. My mpg varies widely depending on driving style. I have gotten 26mpg hand calc more than once in my 4x4 STX. I am 150mi into my current tank and dash is saying 27.1, when i hand calc at the pump I am confident I will have over 26mpg. Although I'm 25, I drive like I'm 75 around here in the winding back roads of maine. I'm in no hurry. Speed limit is 55 and I rarely break that. In the winter in Salt Lake, I am lucky to hit 20mpg hand calc with mixed highway/city driving. The combination of altitude, winter blend gas, stop and go traffic, 80mph highway speed limits and canyon driving (3000ft of gain in 8 miles) all kill my mpg. Mpg varies so widely because everyone drives differently and lives in different areas.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Of all the Ford vehicles I've driven at highway speeds, my Focus, Fiesta, all older Rangers, and my 2006 F-150 when I had it were audibly unbearable at 70+ MPH. I thought my Dad's Ranger was fairly quiet but maybe not so (I haven't been in it on the highway in quite some time). My 2018 F-150 is fairly tolerable.

Yes. The music is distorted when driving at freeway speeds. I'm glad to have the deflectors even if they don't shield the noise. They look good and hopefully will help keep the side windows clearer during rain and snow :)

Installed (close up 2).jpg

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

Edit: I like especially that they install firmly in the channel without tape!

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I've spent quite a bit of time in a stock wrangler rubicon 4 door auto in the past couple years and the mpg for my driving style is basically the same as the Tremor. Averaging 21-22 mpg in tremor and that is the same range as I experienced in the wrangler, hand calculated no computer estimates. Wrangler had AT tires, not MT's.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Distance.jpg
Paul mine is very quiet inside the cab. Even at 100 there's very little wind noise, you should have it looked at.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee