Great incentives but these dealerships!!

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
They want to see if you will focus more on the monthly payments than the financial exchange. You’d be surprised how many people fall for this.

I’ve been fortunate to have bought my past few vehicles cash, and that seems to confuse a lot of inexperienced sales people. They are used to getting people to focus on Payments and Money Down and get them to not look at trade in value or the price they are really paying for a vehicle.

some dealers even stick an addendum on some of their window stickers for a product called “Trade Equity Assistance”. Which literally means, hey let me charge you more for the new car so I can give you a fair value on your trade in.
When I ordered my 2020 Ranger and told them l them l was paying cash they acted like it made them mad. My 2015 F150 and my 2016 Escape I financed with Ford Credit to get rebates but it was a pain, it just isn't worth it to me
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
When I ordered my 2020 Ranger and told them l them l was paying cash they acted like it made them mad. My 2015 F150 and my 2016 Escape I financed with Ford Credit to get rebates but it was a pain, it just isn't worth it to me
They make money on financing - they WANT people to finance vehicles - it is part of their revenue stream.

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
I just traded in my 2019 F250 Lariat and even blue book value is a little under 44k. I got $45000 for it at this stealership. And got several severely low-ball offers on the web, one right at $44k. I traded it on a 2019 Ranger XLT, because there were no incentives on a 2019 Lariat. Which is what I really wanted to start with. So I got the XLT 4wd and 302A package, but no nav and no LEDs. But $8000 in incentives on the Ranger. And not having to pay any sales tax on the deal helped offset the slightly upside down I was. I still got killed on the F250, but it was getting 12 mpg and I did not need a big truck to tow heavy any longer so I got rid of it. It is a pain dealing with these dealerships for sure. Although this one is working with me quite a bit, really. They swapped the nice wheels I wanted off another Ranger onto my truck, and I ordered Katzkin leather seats through the dealer. And let me borrow a loaner Ranger at no extra cost to get the work done on my truck. So that's pretty cool I think. Also ordered a ARE shell for the back, LED headlight bulbs, LED fogs, and Husky floor mats. They also did a spray-in bedliner, and tint tomorrow.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
They make money on financing - they WANT people to finance vehicles - it is part of their revenue stream.
Cash buyers also rarely buy the optional “financial products” they try to sweet talk you into back in the Finance Department.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Cash buyers also rarely buy the optional “financial products” they try to sweet talk you into back in the Finance Department.
So true. It is a much different feel when the money is coming directly out of your wallet rather than hidden in a loan payment.

I really do not like the finance guys at the dealership. IMO, they are the biggest crooks at the dealership. In the past I have caught errors in the balance sheet and those guys trying to sneak stuff in - gap coverage, extended warranties, protection packages, etc.

TodOneD

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 2500 Diesel
Any dealer that is charging additional markup on a Ranger should be skipped, IMO. That is just ridiculous, especially for a 2019 model (which is now one model year old).
Agreed... had another one today... online they advertise a price, about $6500 off MSRP with the $5500 rebate... so I click the "I'm interested" button on their web-page and have a nice text and email series of chats and finally get a worked up price.... of exactly $5500 off... e.g., they didn't even come back and quote the exact price they show online!

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
The entire car buying experience in interesting. I've asked a number of dealers (and an ATV dealer) what percentage of buyer do not care about the cost of a vehicle, only the monthly payment. The figure received from most dealers is typical, between 75-80%. Most of the remainder pay cash.

When I bought the '17 Escape for the wife, I financed $8,500 (I never even asked about the interest rate) because Ford gave me an additional $1,100 off my deal. Three months later I payed the $8,500 balance. Think I paid about $100 in interest. The dealer is a personal friend and after three month they get a kick-back from Ford Credit. It's why I waited three months.

Have had the best luck selling my old vehicles through Autotrader. Too many scamers on Craig's List.

Here's a good rule to follow if you are able. Even tho you have a new Ranger, start putting money away for the next one NOW. It may take you several vehicles to be able to pay cash for the upcoming vehicle, but you'll get there. It's a lot better to earn interest (or Cap appreciation in the market) than it is to pay interest to a loan company. Be ahead of the game, not behind trying to catch up.

A year and a half ago the wife's Escape was in for a recall and while waiting for my ride I looked at a load of new Raptors in the lot. This was the largest Ford dealer in San Diego. They were marked up $25,000!!! A vulture came over (salesman) and asked if I was interested (with the mark up the bottom line was $93,000). I told him not at that price. He said they would come down $5,000. I told him my starting price was Invoice. Obviously the conversation ended at that point. i noted the markup to my dealer in Iowa and his exact words were, "That's nuts." His dealership normally begins at somewhere between MSRP and Invoice. Now tell me who in their right mind would not travel 2,000 miles to save in the neighborhood of $30,000. I'm dumbfounded, but the dealer wouldn't ask that much and get away with it. A butt for every seat.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Here's a good rule to follow if you are able. Even tho you have a new Ranger, start putting money away for the next one NOW. It may take you several vehicles to be able to pay cash for the upcoming vehicle, but you'll get there. It's a lot better to earn interest (or Cap appreciation in the market) than it is to pay interest to a loan company. Be ahead of the game, not behind trying to catch up.
This is me now, although I've now had my "new" Ranger for 16 years. She still runs good, gets me anywhere I need to go, and is cheap to have since there's no monthly payment, is fully depreciated according to the state, and I don't even bother to include collision and comp on the insurance anymore.

Assuming nothing changes with my current Ranger, and I'm able to resist some of these incredible end-of-model-year discounts, I'm on track to pay cash for either a 2020 or a 2021 Ranger. Insurance and tab fees are going to jump when I make the purchase, but getting to drive a new vehicle while still not have to cut a check to a bank every month is a pretty strong motivating force for me to continue to hold off.

SmitteyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302a, 2007 BMW E83
Occupation
Pilot
This is me now, although I've now had my "new" Ranger for 16 years. She still runs good, gets me anywhere I need to go, and is cheap to have since there's no monthly payment, is fully depreciated according to the state, and I don't even bother to include collision and comp on the insurance anymore.

Assuming nothing changes with my current Ranger, and I'm able to resist some of these incredible end-of-model-year discounts, I'm on track to pay cash for either a 2020 or a 2021 Ranger. Insurance and tab fees are going to jump when I make the purchase, but getting to drive a new vehicle while still not have to cut a check to a bank every month is a pretty strong motivating force for me to continue to hold off.
Absolutely. Hope to have your focus and discipline one day!

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase

We haven't financed an auto purchase in years. Dislike the interest. We scrimped and saved all our married lives. We were blessed to pay cash for our new Ranger but we had tied our hands down for months and months waiting for Ford to finally build stocked inventory and push incentives. Almost 10K off our FX4 using the A plan and Black Friday. Couldn't afford to wait for the 2020. Might see something similar next holiday, end of model year, season.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

It also looks like the 2021 model year (fall-winter 2020) will be an either all new or significantly reengineered truck along with the Bronco, which will be built on the same mechanicals. We should se a Raptor, if not at introduction, then during the model year.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
It also looks like the 2021 model year (fall-winter 2020) will be an either all new or significantly reengineered truck along with the Bronco, which will be built on the same mechanicals. We should se a Raptor, if not at introduction, then during the model year.
Would be awesome if a redesign came for 2021 model year, but I haven't seen anything that makes me very hopeful this will happen. I'm also not worried about it, since the current Ranger is pretty close to ideal for me. While I have no doubt there's a pretty substantial market for a Ranger Raptor, I personally have zero interest in such a model.

I'm more interested in seeing what Nissan does with the 2021 Frontier, and whether the 2021 Dakota rumors are true. I doubt that they'll top Ford's offering, but if they can make my decision difficult, that would be a good problem to have!
Sponsored