RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Did you send your letter to the dealerships by email or regular mail? I'm trying to find email addresses for dealerships but I am not having much luck finding them on their websites.
I've had a very tough time getting dealerships to respond to emails. I don't understand it.... Seems like they are just passing on a potential sale.
Sponsored

mgh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew RWD, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel, 1964 1/2 Mustang Pace Car, 1998 Mazda B2500
I've had a very tough time getting dealerships to respond to emails. I don't understand it.... Seems like they are just passing on a potential sale.
For dealerships that did not list emails on their websites I called the dealerships and asked for the email addresses for their New Car Sales Manager. What has surprised me so far is the number of incorrect email addresses I was given. I figured out the issue on many of them. It will be interesting to how many respond. I have sent over 30 emails and after one day I have received 3 emails, one of which provided an offer. Their offer was at MSRP. I also inquired about trading my vehicle (2015 Mustang 50th Anniversary Limited Edition with only 400 miles on it). They quoted me about $2000 below Black Book value. They apparently don't want my business right now. My email is similar to the letter that Brian (LoneStarFlatLanders) prepared.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For dealerships that did not list emails on their websites I called the dealerships and asked for the email addresses for their New Car Sales Manager. What has surprised me so far is the number of incorrect email addresses I was given. I figured out the issue on many of them. It will be interesting to how many respond. I have sent over 30 emails and after one day I have received 3 emails, one of which provided an offer. Their offer was at MSRP. I also inquired about trading my vehicle (2015 Mustang 50th Anniversary Limited Edition with only 400 miles on it). They quoted me about $2000 below Black Book value. They apparently don't want my business right now. My email is similar to the letter that Brian (LoneStarFlatLanders) prepared.
I was also told by more than one dealer that many local dealers were planning to sell them at $2,000 (or more) above MSRP when they get the units in stock. That seems to price them considerably above the competition. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
I was also told by more than one dealer that many local dealers were planning to sell them at $2,000 (or more) above MSRP when they get the units in stock. That seems to price them considerably above the competition. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Let the fools rush in and wait two or three months to pick one up at 10% off MSRP.

Mires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I was quoted a price of $34,957 for an XLT crew cab 4x4 with Fx4 package from Glenn Polk Ford. Doesn't seem like its worth the trip.

ajvester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Sometimes emailing dealerships is just not effective. You have to think like a car dealer. They deal in the now, not the future. An email is just another tire kicker to them, they want you in the flesh or on the phone. Many dealers are still stuck in the mindset that they can only close the deal if you are there in person, especially domestic dealers.

It takes more time, but I have had the best luck making an appointment with the Internet sales manager at my preferred dealership. Then I show up and support the price that I want. Showing up in person puts you in the now timeframe. Even though it is an order, they are working a deal now and will generally want to get you sold and done.

There are different ways to support the price you want. True car pricing, invoice minus a certain percentage, AZDX plan pricing, etc.

Realistically, on the Ranger, gettting anything less than X-plan should be a win.

The other, easier option is to just use X-Plan, which is what I did. I didn’t have time to mess with trying to shave another $500 off the price.

Also, check if you are eligible for any special rebates. Military, State Farm, student, etc. For example, I am a State Farm member and my wife is in grad school. I will put her on the title and get some extra $$ off hopefully.

So now you have settled on a price at or near X-plan and you need to handle the trade if you have one. I told my salesman that I had a trade when I ordered, but we are going to figure out numbers when the truck comes in. Values can change over time and there is no point trying to lock the dealership into a number that they don’t want to give you anyways. I have tried in the past to have a dealer give me a trade estimate over email or phone, but have never been successful. They will not commit until they have you and the car in front of them.

It depends on how much time you have to fart around with it, but I have had luck doing the following:

1. Look and see what your trade is going for on cars.com within 50-100 miles (this will vary depending on where you are). This should give you a good idea of the retail price of the trade. Obviously, you will not get retail price, but it gives you negotiating room if you know what they are selling for.
2. Take your trade to Carmax and get a baseline.
3. Get a quote from Carvana if they are in your area.

Take all this information you have and decide what a fair value for your trade is.

For example, here is what I did for my Ranger.

Got X-plan because I am a Ford stockholder. Didn’t feel the need to try and negotiate further and could use my preferred dealer without any issues. I am on the outskirts of the Chicago metro area. I probably could have negotiated a better price at a high volume dealer in another suburb, but I didn’t want to end up at a dealer 2 hours away. I also wanted to buy at my local small town dealer where I will be servicing the truck. They advertise most of their F-150’s at X-Plan prices anyways.

When the truck comes in, we will work the deal whichever way is best for me and the dealer. If it makes more sense to not use X-Plan and use other rebates like the pre-order, State Farm, etc., we will do that. It will be February when my truck arrives, so the dealer will want to get the unit counted.

I have a quote from Carvana for my trade, so I have a good idea what it is worth. I will get a new quote when the truck comes in and use it for negotiation. If the dealer can’t get close enough to make it worth my time, I will sell it to Carvana.

So, I only have a couple hours invested in this and I think I got a solid, fair price.

If you are the type of buyer that will obsess about getting an extra $500 off, this is not the method for you. By all means, send out your 30 emails and drive 1+ hours to the dealer that will give you the best internet price. For me, it is not worth the time.

OP
OP
LoneStarFlatLanders

LoneStarFlatLanders

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si - Sold my current car and waiting patiently on my new truck
Did you send your letter to the dealerships by email or regular mail? I'm trying to find email addresses for dealerships but I am not having much luck finding them on their websites.
I did via email. A lot of times you just have to go to the sales inquiry form and put in your details. At Glenn Polk, my salesperson was B.J. Banks - [email protected].

mgh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew RWD, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel, 1964 1/2 Mustang Pace Car, 1998 Mazda B2500
I hope any dealer that does that has trouble selling them. I never have understood why people are willing to pay that much
I did via email. A lot of times you just have to go to the sales inquiry form and put in your details. At Glenn Polk, my salesperson was B.J. Banks - [email protected].

Thanks I reached out to B.J and he responded right away. He is working up pricing for me.

Here is an interesting email I received from a different dealer though.

"With the new Ranger not being out yet we don't know what the pricing or rebates are going to be so I can't send you an honest offer that I would be able to honor. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and sit down and come up with what your pricing will be once we build it together."

I responded to him saying that other dealers are working on providing me with pricing. The salesman sent me a text and said that no dealer has pricing information and that he is not going to lie to me like other dealers about pricing of the new Ranger.

Interesting... Are some dealers not getting informed or properly educated?

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
That is what Toyota dealers did when they launched the MR2 Spyder. Try $4K over MSRP as a ridiculous “regional price adjustment” add on, all on a car that listed under $25K.

It’s tactics like that which gave me a bad feeling about car dealers in general. I know they need to make a profit, but price gouging?

RangerFlyer

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

jjmanzano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Unbelievable! Glad I ordered mine; I was afraid of ridiculous markups due to a high demand. I wonder if many people will actually pay those prices for a midsize pickup.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
These Rangers shouldn't be marked up (by dealers) anywhere near the price of a Jeep Gladiator...$50K is closing in on the MSRP of a stripped-down freakin' Raptor

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red
Just saw the previous post by mgh. It was asked "Are some dealers not getting informed or properly educated?" Well on December 11, I emailed my salesman to ask him a couple questions. He basically said I know about as much as he does. He said "We haven't even had our training on that specific truck". That was on December 11. This coming from the largest or very close to largest Ford dealer in St. Louis. I ordered on Sept. 20 and my salesman at that time said I ought to have the truck in 8-10 weeks. He obviously had no clue what he was talking about - I really had no expectation the truck was going to come that quickly so not overly disappointed so far. I thought it was also strange that on the day I ordered back in September, the salesmen in the building were sharing one pamphlet among themselves about the upcoming Ranger. The salesman I started with has since been moved to a different department but it was the second one who said that as of Dec. 11, they hadn't been "trained" on that truck (maybe they have now but I bet it doesn't happen until next month). Just seems to me for this whole pre-order process to have started back in August, there is just a general lack of information out there. Thankfully, I found ranger5g.com - you guys have been very helpful with some good info.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
From the 4 dealers I've talked too. None of them wanted more than MSRP. any dealer that wants more for something that won't sit on their lot for a custom order isn't worth talking to. but for a truck that they have or will have they will likely want more than retail. especially since they are all only getting a limited number of initial stock.
Sponsored