Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger stx
Occupation
Machinist
Morning all,

I just received my upper control arms to accompany my bilstein 5100 (fronts and rears) and some eibach 3" lift springs. The UCAs are rough country (I wanted the more affordable option) and the instructions state to drill the tapered hole a bit to accommodate the new ball joint. I was planning to do this whole install this upcoming weekend, but the drilling part caught me a bit off guard. Has anyone installed these ucas on their truck? Im at work now, but can add a photo of the instructions when i get home later, for clarity. Mines a 2021 2wd with steel knuckle. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Morning all,

I just received my upper control arms to accompany my bilstein 5100 (fronts and rears) and some eibach 3" lift springs. The UCAs are rough country (I wanted the more affordable option) and the instructions state to drill the tapered hole a bit to accommodate the new ball joint. I was planning to do this whole install this upcoming weekend, but the drilling part caught me a bit off guard. Has anyone installed these ucas on their truck? Im at work now, but can add a photo of the instructions when i get home later, for clarity. Mines a 2021 2wd with steel knuckle. Thanks in advance.
Drill how? Use a tapered drill bit????

Best,
Phil

OP
OP

Chriswlbr94

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger stx
Occupation
Machinist
I will have to double check the bit size, but it was not a step/tapered bit. Just a single straight size. It sound scary and foolish to do that ?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Yeah... no. There's no way I would attempt drill any hole to accommodate a ball joint. IMO, I'd send them back.

OP
OP

Chriswlbr94

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger stx
Occupation
Machinist
Yeah... no. There's no way I would attempt drill any hole to accommodate a ball joint. IMO, I'd send them back.
Unfortunately I may have to do just that. I'll call the stage3 customer support to ask before doing so. Just incase it's not a necessary step.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I probably wouldn't try it. You may have to look at a more non budget option for UCA. What's strange is that their website says it's for 4wd only where Icon lists their UCA as 2wd/4wd. I don't see what the difference is for RC

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Yeah...I'd return it and get something else... Rough Country is extremely cheap for a reason... Do yourself a favor and get an UCA from pretty much anyone else. Icon or Grimm Off-Road would be my recommendations. More middle of the road pricing, and both appear to be very high quality. Have an Icon one myself, its been great so far.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The moment you have to modify a suspension part to make another part work is where I draw the line. Part of why I like the Old Man EMU Suspension. Didnt have to modify the suspension to maoe it work.

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Just drill them out like the instructions state. The removal of material is minimal to clear the threads for the stronger balljoint. The taper doesn't lose any strength and you can still revert to the foctory arms without any problems or loss. You need 3 inchs of lift minimum to use the RC arms and your alignment will be narrow stance.

OP
OP

Chriswlbr94

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger stx
Occupation
Machinist
Just drill them out like the instructions state. The removal of material is minimal to clear the threads for the stronger balljoint. The taper doesn't lose any strength and you can still revert to the foctory arms without any problems or loss. You need 3 inchs of lift minimum to use the RC arms and your alignment will be narrow stance.

Thanks for your reply, have you used these UCAs? Just wondering if you're speaking from experience.

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
I ran these arms for a while and reverted back to stock arms as I don't have enough lift to warant using them and keep my alignment where I want it. RC arms work best at 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 inch lift, but you need a diff drop and your steering /lower ball joints aren't running at a good angle for longevity.

OP
OP

Chriswlbr94

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger stx
Occupation
Machinist
I ran these arms for a while and reverted back to stock arms as I don't have enough lift to warant using them and keep my alignment where I want it. RC arms work best at 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 inch lift, but you need a diff drop and your steering /lower ball joints aren't running at a good angle for longevity.
I see, thanks for that info. I'll probably be looking close to a 3.25 lift since I just have a 2wd, I dont believe I have a diff to drop in my case. But lower ball joint/control arms may be recommended in the future for this application?