odd situation/issue with my suspension-2020 Ranger FX4

veloci1

First Name
andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4wd XLT Ionic Silver.
i will try to explain what i have done to my truck in chronological order and the issue i am having right now:
1) upgraded/leveled the truck with bilstein shocks within 2000 miles of owning the truck
2) leveled the front by using the highest setting in the front. guess 2.5 inches
3) installed 265/70/17 from 265/65/17 stock
4) truck rode fine until 3 months ago when i installed Icon rims 17x8.5 Icon Alloys Sixspeed
5) started to feel vibrations mostly from the rear. i say the rear because i did not feel the vibration on the steering wheel, but, i felt it on the seat.
6) i have had the tires balanced an d the truck aligned 3 times in the last 2 months. new rims were check for out of round and they are perfect. btw, the rims/wheels are +25 off set.
7) took it to new off road shop that specializes in lifted trucks yesterday and they could not find anything off with the wheels, balancing or alignment, but, they showed me how my tires are showing signs of cupping. mostly the rears.
8) i did install Icon UCA BEFORE THE WHEELS

my thoughts on potential causes:
1) shocks have gone bad. no signs of leaks and i have taken the truck off roading only 3 times in the last year.
2) maybe when the shop installed the new rims, they did not pay attention to the order of the tires and they might been turned around. changing the direction they were wearing
3) rear spring/s are cracked. have not checked
4) rims/wheels are defective??

any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

btw, i thought about replacing the new wheels with the OEM ones and see what happens, but, since the tires are cupping, i did not think it would make a difference.
Sponsored

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you've throughly checked all the usual suspects for cupping. What tires (brand/model) are you running? When you first noticed the cupping, was it on all four tires or a specific tire(s), ie did it first get confirmed in rears before rotating, was it an individual tire, or where all four showing it?

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
We're the cupped rear tires on the front before a rotation? If not, that is strange. Would want to check wheel run out with wheels mounted to truck if they haven't already. It wasn't clear to me if you got new tires or transferred the old ones to new wheels.

OP
OP

veloci1

First Name
andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i transferred the tires from the OEM wheels. i have General Grabbers. i have the hub-centric adapters, but, i am told that these wheels are lug centric too, so, i am assuming that should not be the issue. so, today i was on the freeway by self in the truck and i could see how the passenger front seat was just shaking like crazy. i did not feel it on the steering wheel. at this point i will inspect the rear leaf springs to make sure they are not cracked. then, i might just move the tires in the rear to the OEM wheels and see what happen. last time i rotated the tires was about 5 months ago. the cupping is more noticeable in the rear tires, thus my reasoning to think this has something to do with the rear suspension or out of round rims.

OP
OP

veloci1

First Name
andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well!!!
issued fixed. installed OEM wheels back on the truck and all vibrations are gone. i am assuming the hub-centric rings were to blame. the truck rides like it used to and i am really relieved about that.
my assumption is that the plastic rings were not stiff enough to handle the rotation and movement of the wheels. i am reasoning that the cupping on the tires might been caused by a lose tolerance that allowed the wheels to have enough play to be out of round.

thank you everyone that provided feedback.
Sponsored