Got a surprise from my dealer today free tailgate lock bolt kit

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
This lock is a great idea. I am sure all are aware that tailgate theft is rampant! A thief with any knowledge knows that with a locking tailgate with fob also locks tailgate; however, if thief unplugs the handy electrical plug underneath the rear of truck near the bumper, the gate lock is disabled. Takes only a few seconds. You still need an anti-theft deterrent at the tailgate hinge. The military grade aluminum Ranger tailgate is EXPENSIVE !
You're giving thieves entirely too much credit for knowing about the harness and then making the effort to disconnect it all while likely in a public place where they'll be seen doing it. On top of that, disconnecting the harness doesn't magically unlock the tailgate. They'd still have to pick the lock and that's not going to be an easy task to complete when you're, again, likely in a public area where you can be seen doing this. OEM Tailgate handle/latch locks have been around for well over a decade now and they worked perfectly fine before the advent of electronic locking versions. In short, keep your tailgate locked and you likely have nothing to worry about.
Sponsored

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
...however, if thief unplugs the handy electrical plug underneath the rear of truck near the bumper, the gate lock is disabled. Takes only a few seconds...
Wait a minute. Are you telling me that even if my tailgate is locked, all someone has to do is disconnect one wire and they have access to all of my stuff in the bed of my truck, which I only THOUGHT was protected under the hard cover??? This can't be right.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait a minute. Are you telling me that even if my tailgate is locked, all someone has to do is disconnect one wire and they have access to all of my stuff in the bed of my truck, which I only THOUGHT was protected under the hard cover??? This can't be right.
It isn't. The gate doesn't unlock just because you disconnect the harness.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Isn't the tailgate difficult to steal anyway if you have your truck locked?

Mine locks whenever I lock the truck.
I wondered the same thing. I just looked and base model trucks don't have the automatic locking tailgate that locks when you lock the doors. It's part of the 101A Option.

But they do have a manual locking tailgate.

Std Features: Tailgate - Manual Locking

101A Option.jpg

Last edited:

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
It isn't. The gate doesn't unlock just because you disconnect the harness.
OK, thank you for responding. I haven't made my purchase yet, but this just scared the crap out of me to have over $2K in kayaks and gear not be safe in there!

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
VKB3Z-18168-A just found that part number for the tailgate lock on Levittown ford and eBay still can't figure out how it works but there's the number......

of course the shipping is absolutely stupid ridiculous at 22.67 to texas for what looks like two bolts and a piece of metal....... fed ex only option shown so thats a NO........
Try this dealer in Odessa. That's where I ordered mine from and shipping was much cheaper and it got to me quick.
https://www.fordpartsamerica.com/

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Well this is news to me. I haven't seen an XL in person, though. If that's the case, then yeah definitely get a lock system.
I think they do have a manual lock, just not auto lock when doors lock.

Std Feature: Tailgate - Manual Locking

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I used to think stuff locked in my Camaro trunk was safe until someone pulled the lock cylinder out with a body puller, then turned the lock with a screwdriver. Less than a minute, my trunk was empty.

I installed my Tailgate Lock for piece of mind while I'm hiking and parked at remote trail locations. Don't often carry valuables, just don't want my tailgate to disappear.

Easy install. One person, 5-minutes.

Purchased from @LevittownFordParts.com

Contact Benny about availability and shipping.

Pics of my installed Tailgate Lock.

Image 1073.png

Image 1083.png

Image 1082.png

Image 1087.png

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I gotta admit, I'm confused by this entire thread.

If you lock the tailgate, in order for a thief to steal the tailgate, they would have to break into the truck, or tamper with the lock on the tailgate, right?

What am I missing?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I gotta admit, I'm confused by this entire thread.

If you lock the tailgate, in order for a thief to steal the tailgate, they would have to break into the truck, or tamper with the lock on the tailgate, right?

What am I missing?
You're missing a needless piece of hardware?

Seriously, nothing. It's peace of mind for paranoid folks.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
You're missing a needless piece of hardware?

Seriously, nothing. It's peace of mind for paranoid folks.
Well, if someone is after tailgates, I would image locking it will hardly slow them down. Consider they need to disconnect the harness. I would guess once done, plug in a handheld power supply to unlock. Or, since there's a good bit of room between the tailgate and bed, a tool could be inserted to trip the bolts. The tailgate bearing lock adds another step that should be more difficult to defeat.

On the other hand, the chances of a specific tailgate being stolen is pretty low.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, if someone is after tailgates, I would image locking it will hardly slow them down. Consider they need to disconnect the harness. I would guess once done, plug in a handheld power supply to unlock. Or, since there's a good bit of room between the tailgate and bed, a tool could be inserted to trip the bolts. The tailgate bearing lock adds another step that should be more difficult to defeat.

On the other hand, the chances of a specific tailgate being stolen is pretty low.
If they wanted to use that same tool with the tailgate locked and still connected to the harness, the lock and the harness wouldn't stop them from doing it. I seriously think too many of you guys are overthinking the capabilities and resolve of a petty tailgate thief. They're not going to expend the resources to develop and manufacture an "unlocking switch tool" that they'll then plug into the tailgate harness connection to electronically unlock it nor would they waste the time needed to connect all that in the field. They're going to cut the harness and try to pry the tailgate off and realistically, that's not going to work in the 30-45 seconds they'll actually expend trying to steal it in the first place. There's just too much risk.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

And if somebody was going to go through all that they would probably just steal one off a dealership lot, giving them the color and quality they desire.

Or if it's a sophisticated gang of recycling tweakers they could get many aluminum tailgates from the same location.

I'm all for self protection and security but there's a point at which it just becomes absurd.