Got a surprise from my dealer today free tailgate lock bolt kit

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Bought her in November saw threads about tailgate thefts went meh because I’m in the country.

This arrived from my originating dealer today. Install took five minutes. Came packed nicely with a note “we know people have reported thefts we appreciate your business and want to protect your investment”

Was surprised and pleased at the arrival of this.

F60D86D5-B401-4608-84BE-1670EA936E50.jpeg
that's what I have insurance for...
Sponsored

tom n

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
retired
Hmmm. $39 or a $250-1000 deductible. Seems like cheaper than an insurance claim. On another note, I just went out and tried to pull the tailgate off the anchors with the tailgate up or down and couldnt get it to budge. How are these designed to come off?

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Hmmm. $39 or a $250-1000 deductible. Seems like cheaper than an insurance claim. On another note, I just went out and tried to pull the tailgate off the anchors with the tailgate up or down and couldnt get it to budge. How are these designed to come off?
Tilt them at about a 45 degree angle and lift them off.

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
Tailgate lock assembly is an easy install, all you need is a 10mm socket or wrench to remove the original bolt and a 1/2 inch wrench to tighten the new keyed bolt. Easy peasy in 10 minutes. Just remember to keep key and original bolt somewhere safe incase you need to remove tailgate or return it to original condition.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Added to 'things I now absolutely need' list. Now I'm thinking about the full-size spare I'm about to add and wanting to make sure no one loots me of that...

September edit: got myself one, peace of mind.

Last edited:

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Bought her in November saw threads about tailgate thefts went meh because I’m in the country.

This arrived from my originating dealer today. Install took five minutes. Came packed nicely with a note “we know people have reported thefts we appreciate your business and want to protect your investment”

Was surprised and pleased at the arrival of this.

F60D86D5-B401-4608-84BE-1670EA936E50.jpeg
thats awesome! what a great dealer. I asked my dealer when I bought my truck and was told there wasn't one yet --- can you put up a part number of course Im sure its on back order like everything else I need from ford.....

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
This lock is a great idea. I am sure all are aware that tailgate theft is rampant! A thief with any knowledge knows that with a locking tailgate with fob also locks tailgate; however, if thief unplugs the handy electrical plug underneath the rear of truck near the bumper, the gate lock is disabled. Takes only a few seconds. You still need an anti-theft deterrent at the tailgate hinge. The military grade aluminum Ranger tailgate is EXPENSIVE !

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Can someone please explain how this works and how it differs from the oem lock on the tailgate? Thanks!

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
Can someone please explain how this works and how it differs from the oem lock on the tailgate? Thanks!
This isn't the tailgate latch lock. That lock prevents opening the tailgate. The tailgate "bearing" that it rotates up and down on is made like a pipe with a thick flat bar in it. The pipe is part of the tailgate and has a slot in it. The flat bar is attached to the bed. If you want to remove the tailgate from the bed, you lower it to 45* open where the slot will let the bar through, and the lift it off. The lock discussed is bolted over the slot to prevent removal.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
as am amateur crime scene detective with about 4hrs experience, I can tell you without a doubt someone will video you on their crappy android phone and you're story wont hold hold up.
They will also subpoena all your social media accounts, posts, likes, comments etc. Going back to the beginning when Al Gore 'invented' the inter-web in their discovery process and its ALL admissible in court. So for god sakes stop posting comments that will only come back and haunt you! Think your texts are not discoverable think again, its all out there!

I've been a firearms instructor since '94 and a state certified CCL instructor since IL passed the law and you would be amazed at the stupid nonsense I find in students online profile/footprints.

It will go something like this: prosecuting ADA questions you in open court..
'Mr. smith, I see on your Ranger 5g profile you were on a thread on xx date where you 'liked' a comment where another participant said if you shoot someone stealing your property you should shoot them in the chest after you roll them over after initially shooting them in the back. Conveniently 3 weeks later you were actually at the mall and thus very situation occurred.'..
'Mr. smith how do you explain this?'

I know many of you will think I'm exaggerating, well I'm not. I've read transcripts of countless 'mishaps' that happened years before an incident that come back to haunt a person, mis-steps leading up to a conflict, during and in the aftermath. Sadly many good intended citizens get jammed up and get convicted criminally, civilly or BOTH.

I've actually turned done MORE training applicants than I take because they lack the seriousness and discipline to NOT seemingly go out of their way to jam themselves up. Once I work with an individual we are linked for life. I am tying my reputation to that person I turn out into the world with my name on their CCL certificate. IF an incident occurs they will first call 9-1-1, then their attorney and either they or the attorney will call me. I will surely be questioned by investigating detectives, called to give a deposition and probably testimony.

Sorry to give a sermon on the topic, I'm kinda passionate about it! :cool:

Last edited:

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
They will also subpoena all your social media accounts, posts, likes, comments etc. Going back to the beginning when Al Gore 'invented' the inter-web in their discovery process and its ALL admissible in court. So for god sakes stop posting comments that will only come back ant haunt you! Think your texts are not discoverable think again, its all out there!

I've been a firearms instructor since '94 and a state certified CCL instructor since IL passed the law and you would be amazed at the stupid nonsense I find in students online profile/footprints.

It will go something like this: prosecuting ADA questions you in open court..
'Mr. smith, I see on your Ranger 5g profile you were on a thread on xx date where you 'liked' a comment where another participant said if you shoot someone steeling your property you should shoot them in the chest after you roll them over after initially shooting them in the back. Conveniently 3 weeks later you were actually at the mall and thus very situation occurred.'..
'Mr. smith how do you explain this?'

I know many of you will think I'm exaggerating, well I'm not. I've read transcripts of countless 'mishaps' that happened years before an incident that come back to haunt a person, mis-steps leading up to a conflict, during and in the aftermath. Sadly many good intended citizens get jammed up and get convicted criminally, civilly or BOTH.

I've actually turned done MORE training applicants than I take because they lack the seriousness and discipline to NOT seemingly go out of their way to jam themselves up. Once I work with an individual we are linked for life. I am tying my reputation to that person I turn out into the world with my name on their CCL certificate. IF an incident occurs they will first call 9-1-1, then their attorney and either they or the attorney will call me. I will surely be questioned by investigating detectives, called to give a deposition and probably testimony.

Sorry to give a sermon on the topic, I'm kinda passionate about it! :cool:
Lol.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
thats awesome! what a great dealer. I asked my dealer when I bought my truck and was told there wasn't one yet --- can you put up a part number of course Im sure its on back order like everything else I need from ford.....

me also!!!!!! part number and is there any chance at all ford actually has them is stock???? I want one of these

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
VKB3Z-18168-A just found that part number for the tailgate lock on Levittown ford and eBay still can't figure out how it works but there's the number......

of course the shipping is absolutely stupid ridiculous at 22.67 to texas for what looks like two bolts and a piece of metal....... fed ex only option shown so thats a NO........

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
VKB3Z-18168-A just found that part number for the tailgate lock on Levittown ford and eBay still can't figure out how it works but there's the number......

of course the shipping is absolutely stupid ridiculous at 22.67 to texas for what looks like two bolts and a piece of metal....... fed ex only option shown so thats a NO........
uh...call your local dealer and order it, then drive there and pick it up.

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Sure wish someone would video an installation...I have the item but cannot understand the poor picture instructions and how they go with the written instructions.
Sponsored