First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
that pic is of my tires after driving 200 mile sint he rain. Truck had about 250 mile son it at the time.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
For reference, I'm going to be putting 16's on my tremor, with 35" tires and somwhere around -35 total offset.

Already have a 2" level, removed crash bars, and I am expecting some cutting based on feedback from others with 35's.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
I quickly got away from the 18's on my FX4 Lariat Scab. Rolling on 16x8 0 offests with LT285/75R16's. I like the look and function of a meaty sidewall.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
So I think I settled in the LT265/65r17. The only issue is getting a wheel with same offset as stock, which is 55mm based on my research. Closest I got was 35mm on tire rack. As I understand things that will bring the wheels and tires out 20mm towards the drivers side curb. This worries me due to added stress on wheel bearing and other components? Is this a legit worry? Seems otherwise I will have to order the OEM 17" wheels then add the tires. I was hoping to get the whole wheel and tire assembly shipped already balanced with tpms installed straight to my door. If 35mm is fine I may do that. Thoughts??

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Been running 0mm offset for 25,000 miles, on Michigan roads..... no issues what so ever.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
This photo looks like they just need a good cleaning. Not a quick flexi-wand brush or similar, but down on your knees, with a synthitic, stiff bristled hand held brush and a little soap.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Been running 0mm offset for 25,000 miles, on Michigan roads..... no issues what so ever.
Front what I read and how I understand it, + offset leads to the tire being further away from the hub which means more wheel bearing wear. Negative offset is closer to hub. So u r 55mm closer to hub than stock and I guess that would be easier for bearings? So my 35mm is 20mm further away from the bearings. That is what I am worried about. ? Is that a legit concern?

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Generally pushing the center line of the tire farther out will increase the load on all the front end components outside the wheel bearing, and can change the load +/- on other the entire suspension system.

That does not necessarily mean increased wear or breakage, but can be a factor depending on a other build components, and vehicle load/stress.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
So I think I settled in the LT265/65r17. The only issue is getting a wheel with same offset as stock, which is 55mm based on my research. Closest I got was 35mm on tire rack. As I understand things that will bring the wheels and tires out 20mm towards the drivers side curb. This worries me due to added stress on wheel bearing and other components? Is this a legit worry? Seems otherwise I will have to order the OEM 17" wheels then add the tires. I was hoping to get the whole wheel and tire assembly shipped already balanced with tpms installed straight to my door. If 35mm is fine I may do that. Thoughts??
Why not look for a set of 17" takeoffs around here?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Why not look for a set of 17" takeoffs around here?
One of the semi-local wheel/tire places here will take the factory wheels/tires as trade in value against purchase of new rims/tires.

They sell factory rims for $200. If I wasn't going to a wider tire for my second tire/rims, I would have bought those instead of aftermarket rims.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
One of the semi-local wheel/tire places here will take the factory wheels/tires as trade in value against purchase of new rims/tires.

They sell factory rims for $200. If I wasn't going to a wider tire for my second tire/rims, I would have bought those instead of aftermarket rims.
That's good deal. Factory wheels are generally more expensive than aftermarket when new. And takeoffs are generally low mileage and in good shape.

Ranger2020zoomzoom

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Na
so i have the fx4 that came with 18" wheels and tires. I don't know why they put a street tire sized wheel on an offroad truck. Anyhow, I want to got smaller wheel size but keep same tire diameter. Am thinking 17s but then 16's popped in my head. Any caveats going to 16" from 18"? will ride be bouncier on thicker sidewalls?

my 18" wheels already have a little offroad damage from a rock and the tires have some sort of white lettering defect where the whole sidewall is white unless you keep it dressed with tire shine. i don't know what dealer will do so i thought screw it and just go down to 17 or even 16" setup.

thoughts??
I am also wanting to go from 17’s to 16’s for off-road purposes as well. I found a set of 4 of the 16’s for 80 bucks off offer up from another Ranger, then bought the 5th off EBay for about 60-80 bucks. I really really want to go with 255/85/16’s and saw another thread of a gentleman who was able to fit them without any rubbing even on articulation.
So what tire combo did you chose?

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
I am also noticing the same rapid discoloration in my Hankook 18'' tires that came with my 2020 FX4 Lariat. Do other people also have this happening? Is this issue common for other white lettering tires, or is it some sort of manufacturing defect in the Hankooks? Since it is only a cosmetic issue, I am also doubtful this defect will be covered by the tire warranty.

IMG_1726.jpeg
I have had other brands of tires discolored like this. Took a stiff brush and soapy water and scrubbed them real good.

Then put your fave tire dressing (like McGuires). Like new!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I am also noticing the same rapid discoloration in my Hankook 18'' tires that came with my 2020 FX4 Lariat. Do other people also have this happening? Is this issue common for other white lettering tires, or is it some sort of manufacturing defect in the Hankooks? Since it is only a cosmetic issue, I am also doubtful this defect will be covered by the tire warranty.

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

IMG_1728.jpeg
I would clean that up and stop using tire shine - it’s likely the culprit. Use a good rubber conditioner like Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care instead. It gives a dark matte black finish and is good for your tires. Gets rid of that brown oxidized-looking buildup and just might stop that chalky buildup at the same time.

It’s not shiny - it’s a matte finish.
Sponsored