First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
so i have the fx4 that came with 18" wheels and tires. I don't know why they put a street tire sized wheel on an offroad truck. Anyhow, I want to got smaller wheel size but keep same tire diameter. Am thinking 17s but then 16's popped in my head. Any caveats going to 16" from 18"? will ride be bouncier on thicker sidewalls?

my 18" wheels already have a little offroad damage from a rock and the tires have some sort of white lettering defect where the whole sidewall is white unless you keep it dressed with tire shine. i don't know what dealer will do so i thought screw it and just go down to 17 or even 16" setup.

thoughts??
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
16” is standard on the base model with 255/70-16 tires. As long as the tire diameter is relatively close to stock or no larger than 32”.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
16” is standard on the base model with 255/70-16 tires. As long as the tire diameter is relatively close to stock or no larger than 32”.
right, i am wanting or thinking, of going to 265/70R16 from 265/60R18. That 16" tire would have a diameter .1" greater than the 18" oem but the same as the 17" oem option so that should be good. Also same width. My only concern would be more sidewall and how it would effect the ride on the road?

i am wanting to do this to gain more rubber for my offroad travels which isn't alot but i do access some private property where there are some good rocks- a honda crv can make it up there- but loose rocks probably caused my wheel rash mark and i like the thicker sidewall look on trucks....

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Anyhow, I want to got smaller wheel size but keep same tire diameter. Am thinking 17s but then 16's popped in my head. Any caveats going to 16" from 18"? will ride be bouncier on thicker sidewalls?
I don’t think the ride will feel bouncier. Upgrade the shocks, especially the rear, to improve the ride. The problem is that it is hard to find an aftermarket 16” wheel that works and fits with a larger than stock tire. There might be something and perhaps someone can recommend an aftermarket 16” wheel. If you decide on 17” wheel, there are a lot of aftermarket options.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
I thought it was the other way round. More options for a 16" tire then 17". The higher side wall is better for off roading. Less options for a 16" rim for the Ranger.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
I will prolly go to 17" wheel then, and go with the oem sized tire but in a more offroad worthy tire like a duratrac. Looks like LT265/65R17 is a good choice.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
looks like that 17" only gets me 1/2" more sidewall versus the 1" for the 16" BUT i want to keep my life and my interactions with my dealer as simple as possible so prolly go to 17" wheels and the lt 265/65R17.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Looks like LT265/65R17 is a good choice
265/70R17 will fit stock suspension with no clearance issues. LT tire is fine if you intend to go off-road, but avoid it if you value the on-road ride quality.

ATGC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
and the tires have some sort of white lettering defect where the whole sidewall is white unless you keep it dressed with tire shine

I am also noticing the same rapid discoloration in my Hankook 18'' tires that came with my 2020 FX4 Lariat. Do other people also have this happening? Is this issue common for other white lettering tires, or is it some sort of manufacturing defect in the Hankooks? Since it is only a cosmetic issue, I am also doubtful this defect will be covered by the tire warranty.

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

IMG_1728.jpeg

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Yeah. Mine looks just like that after I drive thru alot of rain. Tire shine hides it. To me, if it's within so much time they should replace. I need to look into this and the next time I wash it I won't dress try tires so they can see. At 200 miles I noticed it after a trip through torrential rains. My sales man said something they put on tires at dealer. Aka the dressing. The band is perfectly around tire so that's not it. I think it's a defect with the top black coating that is supposed to hide the whitewall from the white lettering band. Complain. I am. Maybe will be a tsb.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
I will also say I have had white lettering on other tires and never had this happen. I have a 2007 xterra in my garage with white lettered duratracs and all it has ever since since new, in 2006, are white letters and never had this issue. Defect.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I am also noticing the same rapid discoloration in my Hankook 18'' tires that came with my 2020 FX4 Lariat. Do other people also have this happening? Is this issue common for other white lettering tires, or is it some sort of manufacturing defect in the Hankooks? Since it is only a cosmetic issue, I am also doubtful this defect will be covered by the tire warranty.

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

IMG_1728.jpeg
I would definitely be complaining about that, and expecting replacements or compensation.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i've pinged my sales guy again about this- i pinged him after driving it 200 miles and sent him a pic back then and it was worse than the pic above but exactly the same area. it is on all tires with some worse than others.

GSD4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL-STX 4WD
right, i am wanting or thinking, of going to 265/70R16 from 265/60R18. That 16" tire would have a diameter .1" greater than the 18" oem but the same as the 17" oem option so that should be good. Also same width. My only concern would be more sidewall and how it would effect the ride on the road?

i am wanting to do this to gain more rubber for my offroad travels which isn't alot but i do access some private property where there are some good rocks- a honda crv can make it up there- but loose rocks probably caused my wheel rash mark and i like the thicker sidewall look on trucks....
For my off-roading wheel-tire combo I went from 17" wheels to 16" factory. The tires I have on them are distinctly taller than what you are asking about, though.

You won't notice more "bounce." You will, however, likely sense a bit more under-steer going from the shallower sidewall on the 18's down to 16 depending on the tire construction. It won't be significant to you unless you take your ranger to the race track or plan on being reckless on mountain roads. On 17's you likely won't know the difference. This is assuming you keep the same overall tire diameter as the 18s.

I've found that it is easier finding 17" wheels for the ranger than 16". I've generally found a greater overall selection of tires for 17, but most of the AT and MT tires I've searched for were also readily available in 16.

For what it's worth, my opinion is go with a next size taller AT tire for 17" rims. There are pros and cons to load range "E" tires (your greatest selection apart from "SL"). They are a bit stiffer but not bothersome to me, anyway. I just hate that they are much heavier and you will feel it when you first drive away from the tire shop (the ranger handles it VERY well though). For just occasional off and on trails or off roading you don't really need the E's.

ETA: I wanted to add that rim width vs. tire width can also be a factor in whether or not you get those nasty rock bites on your wheels.
Sponsored

Last edited: