First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I tried search, but like always, I am hopelessly bad at using the tool, so...

I have been told the Tremor package includes Fox shocks and different leaf springs.

I have also been told the Tremor package only is the Fox shocks (over the FX4).

Just talking about the suspension, not wheel, tires and other cosmetic stuff.

Anyone know for sure?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Tremor has different shocks and rear springs. Different alternator. Leveled and lifted from the factory. Allegedly, according to Ford's propaganda, a different knuckle but that is always a topic of debate. I love mine for my uses. If you're going to be on forest roads and the like, it's great. If you're going to be getting into Jeep trails, buy a 4x4 (not FX4 or Tremor), get the locker, and then upgrade the suspension with aftermarket gear.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
And more bucks.

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Tremor has different shocks and rear springs. Different alternator. Leveled and lifted from the factory. Allegedly, according to Ford's propaganda, a different knuckle but that is always a topic of debate. I love mine for my uses. If you're going to be on forest roads and the like, it's great. If you're going to be getting into Jeep trails, buy a 4x4 (not FX4 or Tremor), get the locker, and then upgrade the suspension with aftermarket gear.
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate the accurate data and your opinion from the standpoint of use cases.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
I love my Tremor. The suspension alone is worth every penny. The rear leafs are multi leaf, a little taller, provide a better ride, and have more articulation.

To me the Tremor is worth it.

Raptor style wheels, much better tires over FX4, very good suspension, fender flares, upfitter switches with 250A alternator, and all the other goodies.

Also don't forget about resale. A FX4 truck with the Tremor suspension still won't be worth the same as the Tremor on the open market.

Now if you want to save money and you don't do any serious offroad, a standard, non FX4 Ranger with 4WD, optioned with a rear locker is a smart choice. You can then purchase the Ford Performance Fox 2.0 suspension kit, which also lifts the front. The stock FX4 shocks are garbage.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/rngrstge14wd-19-22-ranger-fox-stage-1-suspension-package.html
No rear reservoirs, no leafs springs $1150.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m-18000-ra-19-22-ranger-fox-ford-performance-2-suspension.html
Fox 2.0 tuned by Ford Performance $1500 no rear reservoirs no rear leafs

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/o...d-man-emu-2-suspension-kit-standard-load.html
OME standard load kit with rear leafs $1400

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Tremor has less rigid sway bars for better articulation offroad. On road it drives great even with the Tremor sway bars thanks to the Fox shocks.

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I should add - if your doing forest roads/fire roads, the FX4 is really just as capable as the Tremor. Just a matter of what your personal idea of a good ride is. Preference over any real difference. In moderate off-roading, the Tremor probably has a bit of an advantage due to the extra inch and the rear suspension. Neither will be as capable as a home-built truck if you're going to get on rated trails. In the long run, buying a 4x4 with locker and upgrading it is the best bang for your buck if that's your intention. If you're like me and will be staying on (bad) roads when you're "off-roading" and overlanding and you don't want to spend time tearing apart a new truck, both the FX4 and Tremor are up to the task. My personal opinion from test drives prior to buying and from the threads here is that the Tremor is a nicer riding package, both on pavement and rough roads, but again, that's a subjective thing.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Very curious as to what alternator is used on the Tremor. On the ford website I did not see any different alternator specified.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I love my Tremor. The suspension alone is worth every penny. The rear leafs are multi leaf, a little taller, provide a better ride, and have more articulation.

To me the Tremor is worth it.

Raptor style wheels, much better tires over FX4, very good suspension, fender flares, upfitter switches, and all the other goodies.

Also don't forget about resale. A FX4 truck with the Tremor suspension still won't be worth the same as the Tremor on the open market.

Now if you want to save money and you don't do any serious offroad, a standard, non FX4 Ranger with 4WD, optioned with a rear locker is a smart choice. You can then purchase the Ford Performance Fox 2.0 suspension kit, which also lifts the front. The stock FX4 shocks are garbage.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/rngrstge14wd-19-22-ranger-fox-stage-1-suspension-package.html
No rear reservoirs, no leafs springs $1150.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m-18000-ra-19-22-ranger-fox-ford-performance-2-suspension.html
Fox 2.0 tuned by Ford Performance $1500 no rear reservoirs no rear leafs

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/o...d-man-emu-2-suspension-kit-standard-load.html
OME standard load kit with rear leafs $1400
To contradict myself...

This is why the FX4 package is worth considering over a base 4WD, or even a Tremor:

* Factory skid plates (Shrockworks are around a $1000 for a full set, yes they are nicer, but basically the cost of the entire FX4 package)
* FX4 includes a rear locker, I think it's a $400-500 standalone option
* Trail management and Trail control
* FX4 can be added on a base level XLT, or a STX. Tremor requires mid-level XLT ($1600 extra)

But for me, here is what I would replace day one on a FX4, the shocks $1200-1600 without labor or alignment, and the tires $1000.

So let's just throw out $3000 on day one. Then I'd want different rear leafs too. Maybe $800-1000. That is very close to the price of a Tremor, but I wouldn't get the wheels or the upfitter switches, nor the added resale value.

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Very curious as to what alternator is used on the Tremor. On the ford website I did not see any different alternator specified.
Higher amp rating presumably, to go with the upfitter switch since it originally called out a different part number than the Rangers without the switches. Ford has since replaced the part number originally called out for trucks without the switches with the same as those with, which should mean any truck that gets a replacement is getting what came on Tremor package trucks. Originally there was HB3Z10346-A (with switches) and HB3Z10346-B (trucks without switches). Now Ford only lists the -A now for all trucks.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tremor-specific-parts-thread.11586/page-10

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
250A. Base Rangers use a 150A.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
250A. Base Rangers use a 150A.
Did those numbers ever turn up in print? I know that was the speculation based on what jdowns posted in one of the threads. I've never found the actual amp ratings on any of the Ford part sites.

Now all the Ford parts sites I've looked at only call for the -A (originally marked for "W/accessory switches) for all the Rangers and the -B doesn't show up. Now the -A also calls for both w/switches and w/o switches, so it appears whatever the difference once was, there's a single part number now.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Did those numbers ever turn up in print? I know that was the speculation based on what jdowns posted in one of the threads. I've never found the actual amp ratings on any of the Ford part sites.

Now all the Ford parts sites I've looked at only call for the -A (originally marked for "W/accessory switches) for all the Rangers and the -B doesn't show up. Now the -A also calls for both w/switches and w/o switches, so it appears whatever the difference once was, there's a single part number now.
Yes check the Tremor specific parts thread.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Yes check the Tremor specific parts thread.
That's where I saw jdowns say he believes that was true based on the number 250 (no reference to amps though) being in the side of it but Benny said he was still unable to confirm if that was in fact the case. It seems correct based on what jdowns explained.

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
I was curious about the same thing...

'Cause I'm starting to see some of the OE Fox Suspension pieces pop-up in the Marketplace...

I was thinking about placing offers on the Fox Strut/Shock assemblies and for the matching rear-shocks.

Plus, I figured this would be an improvement over the factory base/standard 4x4 suspension...
Yeah, I have the optional rear-locker too.

Plus, combining it with a Hellwig aftermarket rear sway-bar too.

While maintaining the OE wheels & tires for now.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I doubt that the alternator would go up that hogh just because of upfitter switches. I already understand that the factory alternator has a high amp rating. I could have sworn it was close to 170 I just don't remember the exact specifications. Could the alternator have an update over the course of time since tue 2019 model release? Possibly but unless for has it posted I willmhave a hard time believing the higher amp alternator. Ford does a good job about posting that information.
Sponsored