FX-4 & Tremor & Front Locker

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Most people that have opinions on this sort of thing severely over-estimate what you need to go off-roading. It's amazing how much money people dump into their trucks only to face obstacles that can be cleared by almost any 4x4 pickup. The stock FX4 is pretty good at keeping traction and handles mild jeep trails well. It's definitely not a rock crawler, but it will do its job when the road stops being a road.

I frequently ride jeep trails in Central FL with my brother in his lifted Wrangler. I find when going down the same trails I tend to end up on three wheels much sooner than he does, but I make it through all the same. A lift and bigger tires will come at some point, but I really prefer to save the hard off-roading for my mountain bike and just use the pickup to get me and my gear out to the sweet riding spots.

Edit: I've used the locker a handful of times to make it up steep, rutted climbs where I end up with wheels in the air. It works very well and allows you to steadily move forward in a controlled manner instead of flooring it to bounce over obstacles.

Where in Central Florida do you guys hit up?
Sponsored

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Threads like this make me even saltier that I couldn't find a Lariat FX4 that wasn't ridiculously priced ?

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Where in Central Florida do you guys hit up?
Any of the WMAs in the Withlacoochee forest have some solid trails. Citrus WMA in Inverness is the best though.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Good info thank you. Glad I asked those that have actually taken their trucks off-road a bit.

I'm not interesting in rock crawling. If I was I'd get a Jeep most likely, or heavily modify the Ranger.

I really like that the Ranger maintained its great payload and towing capacity while keeping the off-road performance.
Yeah, definitely buy the cheapest Jeep Cherokee you can find if you want to go rock crawling. Rock crawling will destroy your truck so IMO it's not for nice, new vehicles lol

And yeah, the Ranger turned out to be a pretty well rounded truck

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I don't do off road, so I don't really know. But, since this is the internet I can give
my opinion. After seeing many videos of our truck in off-road conditions, seems
fine to me.
This is way too much truck for me, I'll be lucky to use 75% of it's capabilities(?).
I did get to test the rear locker in the first month of ownership.
I parked a frozen grass with a small incline, on purpose.
Tried to go up , nope, put on locker & moved as if no ice was there.
I did turn on dry asphalt with the locker on, won't do that again.
Bought the truck to pull a TT 16/20 feet max 3k lbs, still doing homework on that.

Groo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Gainfully umployed 5 Pointed Star
Groo here
I had a Bronco II with a limited slip front and a locking rear.[Special order from ford by me]
Never got it stuck,or worried about things.[even deep snow]
Now have a Ranger FX4 and with the "Modes" and locker it does the same thing.
Ps ,the only thing lifting gets you is room for fancy bigger tyres.[$$$$$$$$$]
With all the messing around of gears and steering , some good driving skills
and for thought will handle things. [ + good skid plates]
The biggest thing is tyre tread types.
Next set will have more "dig"....
PPS. I don't rock climb for fun , rather , the truck takes me where I want or need to go.
Don't get sideways with a lifted truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Any of the WMAs in the Withlacoochee forest have some solid trails. Citrus WMA in Inverness is the best though.

Ok nice. Yea the Florida WMAs can be a lot of fun. I usually hit the ones further south like Spirit of Wild, Dinner Island, and Corbett. You ever hit up Three Lakes? Thats the next one on my list to explore.

I need to get up to the Withlacoochee area again... I love it up there but its a loooong drive.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Fx4 is everything that my Jeep cherokee trailhawk was, but better and more capable. And this was in stock form and I am honestly not exaggerating. Wheel in confidence. If you add tires and level or lift then it’s obviously even better.

And most people don’t know when to appropriately use lockers. They really shine in straight line climbing situations. They get you up with a fraction of the struggle compared to 4low by itself.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok nice. Yea the Florida WMAs can be a lot of fun. I usually hit the ones further south like Spirit of Wild, Dinner Island, and Corbett. You ever hit up Three Lakes? Thats the next one on my list to explore.

I need to get up to the Withlacoochee area again... I love it up there but its a loooong drive.
Oh wow you're way south! I'm in the Tampa Bay area so Citrus and Richloam are just an hour drive for me. What are the trails like down south?

My buddy went to three lakes a few months ago in his Liberty. Said it was a cool drive but nothing technical. Just some good views and some mud after rain maybe.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Folks please it’s called “rock crawling”. Rock climbing is what dumb 20 yr olds w abs put some powder on their hands and go do ?.

Teedoff

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired baby!
I'm in SW Utah...plenty of rock crawling here in addition to lots of sand. My XLT FX4 has an Icon stage 4 and 33" Nitto ridge grapplers. I've wheeled the truck easily thru 6 (on a scale of 10) rated trails around St George and Kanab. I've used the rear locker a few times but rarely use the trail control. Never had a problem other than clearance with this setup. For comparison, I've also got a Jeep YJ set up similarly (3" lift and 33s) with a front locker. Aside from the improved approach and departure angles I'd take the truck every time as it is hugely more comfortable and easy to drive off road. I generally bring the Jeep along only as a recovery vehicle when we go out alone.

First Name
Charly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone's already said it, but I am of the same opinion that the stock FX4 package is pretty damn solid and more capable than is given credit. I am continually impressed/shocked at the trails and lines my truck has handled.

I'm only considering upgrading due to the increased frequency I go out "wheeling." I say "wheeling" because lets be honest, I'm not rock crawling. But I do push it through questionable obstacles to get to campsites I never could have before in my old 2 wheel drive vehicles.

If you're starting to do more trips, longer trips with hours on dirt, rocks and washboards, with a loaded up bed, the shortcomings of the FX4 start to show. But they are really only in the comfort department. The Ranger has A LOT of bounce in my opinion. If you are going on weekend trips 3-4 times a year and most miles are highway miles, I'd save the money and keep it as is. I'm not planning to upgrade until my shocks are spent!

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I actually did give some thought to going FORD fox2.0 kit in anticipation of having to have shims put in to combat the shudder/vibration people have mentioned. Rather have them do it than me do it separately.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
I only rarely use my rear locker, yet I use a lot of 4wdh and sometimes 4wdl. I only would add the locker on 4wdl, but that’s because I do use these modes on steep snowy fireroads. Obviously one could lock the rear on 2wd ... but why would you need that before a 4wd unless pulling something out of a trench on asphalt?!?
And the front ... isn’t that an LSD? Almost locked in other terms? Otherwise there would be no issue driving in 4wd on asphalt?
Sponsored