FX4 Locker-Activation On-The-Fly?

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm under the impression that to activate the FX4 rear-diff. locker, the truck has to be stopped and shifted into neutral (same with de-activation); am I wrong? I'm unsure as other 4x4 systems seem capable of doing this on the fly, include an F-150.
Sponsored

Fasd1421

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Fx4, 1990 Mustang LX SSP, 1999 Triumph Speed Triple
You are thinking of shifting into 4x4 Lo. That requires being in neutral. If you just want to engage the locker you can do it while in gear and moving.

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
Good Question! Is this the same for 2WD equipped with the locker?
I was under the impression to engage it the vehicle needs to be stopped, however, at one time I think I saw that it can be activated while driving but it may indicate that you need to slow to a low speed in order for it to engage the locking of the diff.

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Great! Good to know; I'll try it next time.

Following this up... can I engage it in 2WD?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Great! Good to know; I'll try it next time.

Following this up... can I engage it in 2WD?
Done mine both ways lock/unlock 2WD/4HI just need to be below a certain speed. Stopped under no load probably best/safest, no problem being in drive though.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm under the impression that to activate the FX4 rear-diff. locker, the truck has to be stopped and shifted into neutral (same with de-activation); am I wrong? I'm unsure as other 4x4 systems seem capable of doing this on the fly, include an F-150.
Free advice is worth the price of admission. Always refer to your owners manual.

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 163 - Rear Axle.jpg

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
2WD/4WD it makes no difference. If I try to engage above 20MPH it gives me a warning I must be below 20 to engage.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
2WD/4WD it makes no difference. If I try to engage above 20MPH it gives me a warning I must be below 20 to engage.
Are you operating the system on hard dry surfaces?

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
I'm going to assume this locker system is a sub-contract from Eaton's system, or is somewhat similar. What is important is your locker is NOT engaged when one rear wheel is spinning. Understanding how it works sheds light on the "why" of that statement. Full disclosure, I'm not sure exactly how Ford's system engages, but likely it's similar to Eaton's system.

Picture a circular ring with imbedded ramps cast within. Each of these ramps contain a ball bearing. On one side of this circular ring is a circular electro magnet. When this magnet is energized the ball bearings climb up their respective ramps. This forces the ramp to move away from magnet. Attached on the opposite side of this circular ring are a number of pins. When the magnet is energized and the ball bearings move up their individual ramps, these pins are forced into holes on the opposite axle, locking the two sides together. If one wheel is slipping (spinning) in relation to the opposite wheel, and the electro magnet engaged there is the possibility those pins can be damaged resulting in a very expensive repair.
Sponsored