FX-4 & Tremor & Front Locker

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I wanted ask those that do moderate off-roading if they felt the FX-4 is sufficient enough? I've watched so many videos and reviews over the last few weeks and have come away more confused.

The Chevy ZR2 is a beast for sure, with its front and rear locking differentials. One of the few vehicles that has both. From what I've read, they are beneficial but a truck with just a rear locker and crawl control system, is also quite capable.

I was watching this video below that took a stock FX-4 through a Jeep trail, and it did great. Which begs the question, is the FX-4 more capable than some give it credit for?

2019 Ford Ranger Off-Road Test - Broken Arrow Trail Sedona, AZ - YouTube
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Hank the Tank

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Housing Case Manager, Full-time student
Vehicle Showcase
This is part of a series where Ronny Dahl and friends visit Moab, UT. It features a modified Ford Ranger, but its mostly done for clearance. No front locker, and uses Trail Control and rear locker. Plenty capable.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I wanted ask those that do moderate off-roading if they felt the FX-4 is sufficient enough? I've watched so many videos and reviews over the last few weeks and have come away more confused.

The Chevy ZR2 is a beast for sure, with its front and rear locking differentials. One of the few vehicles that has both. From what I've read, they are beneficial but a truck with just a rear locker and crawl control system, is also quite capable.

I was watching this video below that took a stock FX-4 through a Jeep trail, and it did great. Which begs the question, is the FX-4 more capable than some give it credit for?

You will use a rear locker MUCH more than a front. Also the terrain management on mud/ruts is about as close to a front diff lock as you can get without a physical locker. With slight modification to gain height and ground clearance the FX4 will give you plenty of capability.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You will use a rear locker MUCH more than a front. Also the terrain management on mud/ruts is about as close to a front diff lock as you can get without a physical locker. With slight modification to gain height and ground clearance the FX4 will give you plenty of capability.
Completey agreed.

And to answer the OPs question, yes the Ranger is overlooked.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I've been in some deep snow and rough terrain and have yet to use my rear locker. Unless you are rock climbing I don't believe the front locker is a feature that will ever be used. of course, it's always better to have something and never use, than to need something and not have it...

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Most people that have opinions on this sort of thing severely over-estimate what you need to go off-roading. It's amazing how much money people dump into their trucks only to face obstacles that can be cleared by almost any 4x4 pickup. The stock FX4 is pretty good at keeping traction and handles mild jeep trails well. It's definitely not a rock crawler, but it will do its job when the road stops being a road.

I frequently ride jeep trails in Central FL with my brother in his lifted Wrangler. I find when going down the same trails I tend to end up on three wheels much sooner than he does, but I make it through all the same. A lift and bigger tires will come at some point, but I really prefer to save the hard off-roading for my mountain bike and just use the pickup to get me and my gear out to the sweet riding spots.

Edit: I've used the locker a handful of times to make it up steep, rutted climbs where I end up with wheels in the air. It works very well and allows you to steadily move forward in a controlled manner instead of flooring it to bounce over obstacles.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have never actually *needed* the rear locker to get through any obstacles... and I've taken this truck off road quite a bit. I only recall actually engaging it on a trail once - and that was a 35Âş uphill incline on a really loose gravel / dirt surface... I was climbing just fine in 4 low, but decided to try the locker just for good measure. I likely did not really need it.

I do recommend swapping out the stock FX4 front coilovers and rear shocks. Specifically, I'm running Eibach front coilovers set at about a 2.5" front lift, and Eibach rear shocks. They make a pretty large difference in the handling of the truck both on and off road, and lifting the front just a tad adds just enough extra ground clearance to avoid banging up your bash plates.

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Most people that have opinions on this sort of thing severely over-estimate what you need to go off-roading. It's amazing how much money people dump into their trucks only to face obstacles that can be cleared by almost any 4x4 pickup. The stock FX4 is pretty good at keeping traction and handles mild jeep trails well. It's definitely not a rock crawler, but it will do its job when the road stops being a road.

I frequently ride jeep trails in Central FL with my brother in his lifted Wrangler. I find when going down the same trails I tend to end up on three wheels much sooner than he does, but I make it through all the same. A lift and bigger tires will come at some point, but I really prefer to save the hard off-roading for my mountain bike and just use the pickup to get me and my gear out to the sweet riding spots.

Edit: I've used the locker a handful of times to make it up steep, rutted climbs where I end up with wheels in the air. It works very well and allows you to steadily move forward in a controlled manner instead of flooring it to bounce over obstacles.
Good info thank you. Glad I asked those that have actually taken their trucks off-road a bit.

I'm not interesting in rock crawling. If I was I'd get a Jeep most likely, or heavily modify the Ranger.

I really like that the Ranger maintained its great payload and towing capacity while keeping the off-road performance.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Moab......... Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded. Yogi had it right

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
The main area the FX4 is lacking is the tire department. The consensus is that a moderate lift kit and 32’s greatly increase its capabilities.

I am pretty confident that more gear is coming down the road to take it from mild to wild if you really wanted to go that route.

people have already fitted 35s with some modification and when re-gearing kits eventually come out I think you will see a lot of people go from 32’s to bigger tires.

lastly the trucks are pretty new and expensive. You will probably see more people pushing them to the max as used prices come down over the years. I know some Jeep guys go and bash up a brand new $55k Jeep but they are probably 1 in 10,000 for every rubicon Jeep that FCA has sold.

I got an FX4 recently and planning on the pretty standard upgrade of Fox 2.0 and 265/70r17. My understanding is if you buy the kit through Ford they won’t clown around with denying warranty claims down the road.

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
The main area the FX4 is lacking is the tire department. The consensus is that a moderate lift kit and 32’s greatly increase its capabilities.

I am pretty confident that more gear is coming down the road to take it from mild to wild if you really wanted to go that route.

people have already fitted 35s with some modification and when re-gearing kits eventually come out I think you will see a lot of people go from 32’s to bigger tires.

lastly the trucks are pretty new and expensive. You will probably see more people pushing them to the max as used prices come down over the years. I know some Jeep guys go and bash up a brand new $55k Jeep but they are probably 1 in 10,000 for every rubicon Jeep that FCA has sold.

I got an FX4 recently and planning on the pretty standard upgrade of Fox 2.0 and 265/70r17. My understanding is if you buy the kit through Ford they won’t clown around with denying warranty claims down the road.
Can you get the Fox 2.0 through Ford to upgrade the FX-4?

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Can you get the Fox 2.0 through Ford to upgrade the FX-4?
Sure can! Even “tuned by Ford” for the ranger whatever that means lol. Not sure there is an appreciable difference from the standard Fox kit. Your dealer can order and install these for you if you wish. They are also easy enough to install yourself if you want to save the money.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-18000-r.html

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Nice! I may just to that route and get an FX-4.

ranger-rick-roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor