20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
some information that might help

( 100,000 miles / 20 mpg ) * $4.00 = $20,000 in fuel
vs
( 100,000 miles / 22 mpg ) * $4.00 = $18,181 in fuel

Nearly $2000 saved over 100k miles.
How much of a headache and being cautious about your driving are you willing to put up with for $2000 over (maybe) 8 years to reach 100k ? That is less than $1 a day saved.

You should drive efficiently, and that is important to me, but looking at the math, it doesn't make much of a difference overall if its only a minor bump in gas mileage.
1 wife with a charge card and a PC 2K gone in 10 seconds flat!!!

Now if I left my tire pressure at 45 PSI from the factory I could probably get 24 mpg but my ass would hurt way to much to keep that going on... But.... Air temps and your local terrane do have a major impact. I found my best mileage is highway at 60 mph. Seems to be the sweet spot
Sponsored

Husky44

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 2014 F150 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
My 2021 got 24-25 prior to lifting the front 2" and going to 32" aggressive tires, now 20-21 combined. It's still a world better than my V-8 Raptor getting 10mpg on premium. I'll take the cycle or the wife's Rav4 on short runs around town. Hard to predict the future of gas prices but your vote going forward does have an effect.

UncleWillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT Tremor
I agree with essentially everything said here. Does gaining 2 mpg over the course of the vehicle's really pay off/worth the hassle? Maybe, maybe not. Some folks get satisfaction out of trying to achieve "personal bests" when on the road. Hell, I'm one of them.

I also agree that there is so much to account for when comparing mpg amongst Rangers. I was tickled with my first 1500 miles being 23-24.5 mpg. But I was driving only for work trips, where I was driving county highways with no traffic, but still able to go 65 mph. Now that I've been driving in town more for local commutes, I am closer to 17 mpg.

Luckily this Ranger prefers a driving style similar to how my old Duramax liked to be driven: from a stop, quickly get to the speed you want to travel (don't gun it either), and back off to a comfortable cruising speed. That turbo spooling up is the mpg killer more than anything.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i cant comment on the new rangers but in my 4g that has 140k miles of doing lowly truck stuff like trips to lowes, fishing and work week traffic the use of seafoam in the crank case, fuel tank and sprayed into the throttle body really helped my mpg. engine runs smoother and has better pedal response. Idk if anyone in a newer ranger has enough miles and grime built up for it to help but its worth trying.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
another thing i wanted to point out is folks gotta be realistic. a truck with nearly 300 hp that can handle 7500 pounds and gets mpg in the 20s consistently is nothing to turn a nose up at. most pickups cant claim those numbers and efficiency. ive had several trucks over the years and none of the half ton trucks got that. most were about equal to that power and weight rating or close. the diesel powered trucks were a little better at 20 ish under perfect conditions but would basically get 18 all the time if not less lol. i wanna save more money on fuel as much as everyone else but its hard to ask more than some of the folks here are getting with the power and ability the ranger has. - tinfoil hat time- if manufactures were really allowed to use all the possible tech to get better fuel economy i think we could, but govt would not like that...

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
1 wife with a charge card and a PC 2K gone in 10 seconds flat!!!
Don't I know it... Just the other day, mine spent nearly 3 times that in about the same time with only her cell phone...

She went and got these two girls..

Pups.jpg

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
Running premium and throwing in some Lucas Oil can help bump it up. The former is probably not gonna save you long term, but the latter will since its decently cheap to throw a few ounces in the tank and it can give you 1-2 bump.

Premium fuel bumps up the power a tad, but for some reason it makes it slightly more efficient and ive seen my mpg bump up from it.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Our FX4 is bone stock, except for some rock sliders, we consistently get 27 mpg or better.

That's not over a couple thousand miles, that's over 26,000 miles at 8,200 feet elevation.

Hand calculated.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
i cant comment on the new rangers but in my 4g that has 140k miles of doing lowly truck stuff like trips to lowes, fishing and work week traffic the use of seafoam in the crank case, fuel tank and sprayed into the throttle body really helped my mpg. engine runs smoother and has better pedal response. Idk if anyone in a newer ranger has enough miles and grime built up for it to help but its worth trying.
Do not, repeat, do not use Seafoam in our 2019+ Rangers. Your turbo will die an ugly death

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
https://apple.news/AnXkZYM-zTb2Zi8lyDnSeEw

I hoped this link works. I came across this this morning (off apple news link). Jalopnik site had a article appropriately titled “These gas saving devices are complete scams”. Worth a read and kind of funny. I hadn’t heard of half of these products ever. Great time for these scam products. Maybe these companies are behind the gas price increases!

the only thing I will add - thank good for my TG damper. Pretty sure I get better gas mileage with it on than not. ?
(Yeah. Couldn’t help it - just poking the Damper deniers?).

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Let me introduce you to the term Global Commodity. Oil is a Global Commodity, its price by barrel determined by the total global availability. So is wheat, and many other things.

Then, look at this graph of US oil production by year and let that sit for a second: https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRFPUS2&f=M

Oil is not like broccoli at the farmers market. If more oil is produced domestically, but less is produced elsewhere, oil - as a global commodity - goes up in price. Russian exports are down. Any idea why? OPEC - outside US control - determines huge volumes of oil availability in the global commodity.

No US politician has much influence on this. Politicians who claim so are frauds. Those that believe them, idiots. The more you know...
Thank the people alive and dead who voted.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Sorry, to many replys to read all of them on a dead horse discussion again

I used to get 14 to 16 mpg in a pickup truck. The ranger. Had smiles per gallon. When i tow, just tow. Its work. There is no good mpg. Have fun towing

Now i keep the rpm under 2 grand. 24 to 26mpg. And when i tow, again, just tow. Its a truck.

2020 xlt 4x2
Sponsored