First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Sounds like a cover up going on, doesn't sound like things are on the up and up. No reason to refuse to give a customer paperwork!
I got sick of the fight and sold my truck to Carvana for the same price I paid for it. I love my truck, but got sick of trying to make Ford do the right thing!

nealw

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
I resolved my Fuel in Oil problem - I traded my Ranger for a Tacoma. I feel if and when Ford acknowledges this or there is a class action suit filed, the value of these vehicles will drop like a rock.
Good luck to all dealing with Ford

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I resolved my Fuel in Oil problem - I traded my Ranger for a Tacoma. I feel if and when Ford acknowledges this or there is a class action suit filed, the value of these vehicles will drop like a rock.
Resolved a fuel in oil issue, that nobody knows IF it is a problem. Gained a power problem and ergonomic problem. Good luck with that.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Just got my truck back from the dealership and here’s what they did....

Drumroll please!

The smelled the dipstick and “couldn’t smell the fuel.” Aka nothing. They performed no tests and made no attempts at repair.

When they first called to have me pick it up they said they checked the oil and there was no fuel. I said oh great what kind of analysis did you perform, was it flashpoint testing or gas chromatograph? I also let them know I know for certain they don’t have the equipment to test that in the dealership so I would like to see the analysis report. I found out quickly they didn’t actually test or check anything they pulled the dipstick and smelled it and didn’t smell fuel. I said no thank you to picking it up and at minimum I would like the oil changed and dipstick marked and I will report back. Lastly I let them know I took a sample before dropping the truck off and the analysis lab would tell the whole story.

On the plus side after they noticed I was firm on getting this resolved they let me know they would stick with me through the issue and if the oil does start to rise above their mark they would take it to the next level up to getting Ford involved if needed. They were also friendly throughout. I have a feeling they deal with a decent amount of phantom issues so at first they weren’t too sure about my complaint. They also asked me to report the analysis results back and said they would be willing to pay for future analysis if necessary.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
This thread has turned into just a cesspool of people hypothesizing about a fuel in oil “problem” that nobody even has proof is a widespread issue. You have one, maybe two people on here who had freak scenarios with actual proof, but because of this, people are actually trading in their trucks. All of these people freaking out about “fuel in oil” because either it “smells like fuel” or their $100 catch can that was engineered in a garage caught a tiny amount of oil and a bunch of water, but guess what… their trucks keep on running just fine. You don’t think Ford engineers have absolutely tortured and tested this engine before deciding to put it in all of their new and upcoming vehicles? The Bronco, Ranger, Mustang, Explorer, Lincoln Corsair, etc.. Oh and might want to go read some Tacoma forums about what they think of the 3rd gens before you go trade your Ranger for one lol. This thread is ridiculous.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Friend, I'm giving you a like when nobody else will. Your solution is a fair one. Good luck with your future truck. If I had to go to a different brand not sure what I would pick. Been a Ford guy for decades. But the Taco does have a manual transmission going for it. But all vehicles have issues, just wish for better luck for you. At this point I'm under 3% dilution, Not too bad so I'll just change my oil often.

This thread has turned into just a cesspool of people hypothesizing about a fuel in oil “problem” that nobody even has proof is a widespread issue.
There is plenty of proof and it most certainly is a problem. Also, don't under estimate the intelligence and background of some of the people posting on this forum. Every forum's got some idiots but there are some seriously smart people here who know what's up.

Ford is not stupid, but is likely avoiding admission of an issue because it would lead to bottomless warranty claims when they are already struggling with them.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
This thread has turned into just a cesspool of people hypothesizing about a fuel in oil “problem” that nobody even has proof is a widespread issue. You have one, maybe two people on here who had freak scenarios with actual proof, but because of this, people are actually trading in their trucks. All of these people freaking out about “fuel in oil” because either it “smells like fuel” or their $100 catch can that was engineered in a garage caught a tiny amount of oil and a bunch of water, but guess what… their trucks keep on running just fine. You don’t think Ford engineers have absolutely tortured and tested this engine before deciding to put it in all of their new and upcoming vehicles? The Bronco, Ranger, Mustang, Explorer, Lincoln Corsair, etc.. Oh and might want to go read some Tacoma forums about what they think of the 3rd gens before you go trade your Ranger for one lol. This thread is ridiculous.
It’s not like you have to click on it...

It isn’t really reasonable to state that it’s not an issue until people’s engines start blowing or burning oil early on in their life. By then it’s too late to realize it is or isn’t an issue. Large quantities of fuel simply do not belong in engine oil. This isn’t debatable. A small amount between 1%-2% is probably normal or within design spec. If you think Ford designed an engine that operates with 5%+ fuel in the oil I have a bridge to sell you. If you think an engine with 5%-10% fuel dilution is going to live a long healthy life I can wholeheartedly say you’re incorrect. Even the black stone reports that some have been getting specifically state that dilution levels are high and viscosity is low. This is where it goes beyond a funny smell and theories. We know that some of these fuel dilution levels are off the charts high.

The fact that Ford tested these engines means nothing in relation to this issue as far as I’m concerned. It’s not like issues in a supply chain never pop up during the life of a product. For all we know a part from a supplier such as the injectors is experiencing failures that aren’t design related and haven’t been discovered in testing yet. You have to wonder when issues like this pop up if the bean counters have a say in when Ford goes public with a fix. It’s not like a manufacturer ever put out a faulty product for years and years even after realizing an issue popped up right? Lol. I mean Takeda airbags anyone?

There are plenty of very smart curious minds here who want to see a resolution to this. As I stated much earlier in this thread there have been issues like this that the aftermarket and enthusiasts have solved long before manufacturers acknowledged them if they EVER did. See Honda v6 VCM threads for example. There’s literally a piggy back fix that eliminates a design issue that literally eats engines and blows them early and Honda never did squat to address it other than move on to a new engine design and give a paltry extended warranty to existing customers.

There is plenty to love about the ranger. It’s still the best mid-sized truck in the segment. That doesn’t mean this issue doesn’t exist for the people having it. The vast majority of car owners don’t even check their own oil so it’s not going to get caught quickly by the masses.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I don’t think Ford has a solution for those of us with the moderate oil dilution (hovering around the top hole). They solved this problem on the V6 Ecoboosts by adding dual injection (port and direct). That also prevents coking on the intake valves. I hope they add it to the 2.3 for the 6G Ranger. I’m trading for a 6G Ranger PHEV regardless.

In the meantime I am changing oil at 3-4K miles. Love this Ranger too much to let this sour me.
Sponsored