Fricking dealer didn't do PDI properly...

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
And in those same places they can not afford a $40K truck so that analogy is a moot point. No one is losing any sleep over this but when I'm paying good money for _____ (fill in the blank) I expect that item to be serviced correctly. If I had purchased a used $500 Pinto well then my expectations would be much lower. I don't trust dealers much either but it still doesn't give them a free pass to not do their job. My time is worth money whether it be 10 minutes or 10 hours. YMMV

My point is if we keep excepting mediocre service/quality while paying top dollar, then we'll soon have a country full of sub par products/quality like those of a third world country.
Yup...imagine what they’d say if their engine was a quart low on oil. “Oh well...I can just add a quart”. I doubt that’d be their attitude!
Sponsored

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
At the time of the PDI, it wasn't my property- it was the dealer's property. Once it was my property, I checked it.

The tires were all about 10 pounds high.

20210404_210615.jpg
First I've seen where the spare pressure is higher . . . and it's the same size tire.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I dont sweat it if they miss something, and i understand it if they do.
I feel the same way. I don't trust the dealership with any of my vehicles honestly. I do my own oil changes. I don't go to the dealer for anything unless it's warranty related. My tires were way over inflated when I got my ranger. Mustang too. I just went home and aired them down. Doesn't make me angry, I guess I just never had high expectations.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Not trying to hi-jack this thread.. BUT since we are talking 'quality of work'..
Took my Ranger for 1st alignment, mostly for maintenance. I'm at 20k now and normally would have done it this time last year but I'm hardly driving it b/c of the covid office-from-home scenario and all. Anyways I like my nearby Just Tires shop, it's corporate owned so I know the tech's there are attending some kind of structured classes/certification and the Hunter rack they have is less than four years old and unlike a lot of franchise places they actually get quarterly updates, rather than using specs for an older model year b/c the shop owner is too cheap for the spec's. They have a 3 year unlimited plan that I've bought many times and oddly enough dont try and sell you ball joints, t rod ends, etc. every time you visit.
Got mostly good service today, I'd rate 95%, spec's looked good not far off, no tire wear. But I did have a dirty shifter, signal lever, steering wheel a-pillar, headliner between a/b pillar and b-pillar around where he grabbed the seat belt. I was the first alignment appointment at 8:15 a.m. I have no idea how the tech got dirty enough to leave a smudge trail on my interior. Sure I'm picky but when I was in automotive decades ago we used seat, floor and wheel covers, washed our hands before pulling a vehicle in and washed before pulling it out. It's obvious which cars are kept nice by 'car guys' and I did pretty well in tips by taking extra effort on those, even got tips once and a while on the beaters too. EVERYONE works hard for their stuff and just want someone who will respect them and it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This all day.

There is only one question anybody should ever have of dealership sales staff. "How much?" They're useless for anything else.

When your expectations are too high, you're going to be disappointed a lot.

And usually the dude performing the PDI is some stoner "lot tech." Not somebody I'd expect much of anything out of.
So just maybe if the dealer had someone to oversee these "stoners" more people would put trust in them? I mean dealerships rank right up there for trust with politicians am I right? lol My whole point is that all the people working there are a reflection of the dealership and it seems like this is a common issue with a lot of Ford dealers across the country.

As far as having high expectations maybe I have higher than most. That's because most of my career I spent working on very high end homes and they had high expectations from me so it's carried over into my personal life. Do you know how stressful it is working in a 10 million dollar house? There are furnishings there that are irreplaceable never mind expensive. This house had an outbuilding with a 1/2 scale basketball court that replicated the Boston Celtics court. An indoor swimming pool and a gym that makes Lifetime Fitness look like a high school gymnasium. lol So over the years I guess I just expect more from certain businesses especially when you're paying good money for a service and you're not receiving it. But you're right everyone's expectations are different but there's no wrong or right here. :)

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
So just maybe if the dealer had someone to oversee these "stoners" more people would put trust in them? I mean dealerships rank right up there for trust with politicians am I right? lol My whole point is that all the people working there are a reflection of the dealership and it seems like this is a common issue with a lot of Ford dealers across the country.

As far as having high expectations maybe I have higher than most. That's because most of my career I spent working on very high end homes and they had high expectations from me so it's carried over into my personal life. Do you know how stressful it is working in a 10 million dollar house? There are furnishings there that are irreplaceable never mind expensive. This house had an outbuilding with a 1/2 scale basketball court that replicated the Boston Celtics court. An indoor swimming pool and a gym that makes Lifetime Fitness look like a high school gymnasium. lol So over the years I guess I just expect more from certain businesses especially when you're paying good money for a service and you're not receiving it. But you're right everyone's expectations are different but there's no wrong or right here. :)
One thing I was raised on and teach my kids. No matter what you do in life, strive to be the best at it. Even if your job is just stocking, be the best dang stocker they ever seen. Take pride in your work. There is ALWAYS a better and more efficient way to work, look for it.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Ohh, you're right. It would go a long way if the dealership cared. But they don't. And I don't ever see that changing.

In one of my past lives I've done AV work in some very expensive homes, homes with Butlers and what not. My own high expectations served me well there.

But currently I train a bunch of 20 somethings and most have no understanding of work ethic.

I wish I were more optimistic.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ohh, you're right. It would go a long way if the dealership cared. But they don't. And I don't ever see that changing.

In one of my past lives I've done AV work in some very expensive homes, homes with Butlers and what not. My own high expectations served me well there.

But currently I train a bunch of 20 somethings and most have no understanding of work ethic.

I wish I were more optimistic.
You're so right about that! The sad part is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree so we know where this all starts. When I sold my business back east and moved out here I refused to deal with employees ever again. While I had some good ones they were mostly older and the younger ones were more trouble than it was worth to deal with, not all but most. I'm semi retired and not looking for another babysitting job anytime soon. ?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
One thing I was raised on and teach my kids. No matter what you do in life, strive to be the best at it. Even if your job is just stocking, be the best dang stocker they ever seen. Take pride in your work. There is ALWAYS a better and more efficient way to work, look for it.
Same here! No matter the job, be the best, do the best.:clap:

Greatlakespilot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
So I took my previous ranger in for recurring warranty service. I changed the oil the first time, had them do the last 3. This time I marked each tire 1-4 to make sure they were actually rotating them. I was noticing rounded uneven wear at 26000 miles. Got the truck back filthy. Was not suppose to be washed. They washed it and never dried it it off. Looked horrible. I brought it in completely detailed as I do every weekend. Secondly they rotated the tires, but did not swap sides from the front to rear as stated in the manual hence my uneven wear. Third they over inflated the tires again to 38, sticker says 30. I sent a scathing email to the service manager and got a reply saying sorry they will detail it for free, their specs show 38 psi and they have never rotated the tires on any vehicle in which the way the manual directed. They apologized and needed to update their manuals to the correct rotation of swapping the fronts to opposite sides to the rear. All I got was an offer for a free detail. I never went back. Bought my new one through a different dealer and will do my own maintanemce from now on. You want it done, right you have to do it yourself.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So I took my previous ranger in for recurring warranty service. I changed the oil the first time, had them do the last 3. This time I marked each tire 1-4 to make sure they were actually rotating them. I was noticing rounded uneven wear at 26000 miles. Got the truck back filthy. Was not suppose to be washed. They washed it and never dried it it off. Looked horrible. I brought it in completely detailed as I do every weekend. Secondly they rotated the tires, but did not swap sides from the front to rear as stated in the manual hence my uneven wear. Third they over inflated the tires again to 38, sticker says 30. I sent a scathing email to the service manager and got a reply saying sorry they will detail it for free, their specs show 38 psi and they have never rotated the tires on any vehicle in which the way the manual directed. They apologized and needed to update their manuals to the correct rotation of swapping the fronts to opposite sides to the rear. All I got was an offer for a free detail. I never went back. Bought my new one through a different dealer and will do my own maintanemce from now on. You want it done, right you have to do it yourself.
Anytime I have go to the dealer I specifically tell them to not clean the exterior or interior. What ticked me off is back when COVID started they would spray some sort of disinfectant all over the cabin and it basically left a white haze over everything plastic.
Sponsored