Free Sync 3 Navigation Map Updates (NA 1 18)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Been very frustrating but last night went out and took a drive to get the updates done. What a PITA! Over six hours spent getting this done and now I get to figure out how to update the SYNC3 again? Why cant that be done OTA? I checked twice before doing the map update but it didn't say anything about a SYNC update.
The update process can certainly be improved. I had to restart my update as I was driving but hadn't turned off Auto S/S and it stopped when I stopped at a stoplight. It seemed like it killed the update process. I hope Sync 3.4 improves the whole experience. I've never had mine update via WiFi even though it is connected to my home WiFi.

Hopefully Sync 3.4 will be out sooner than later.
Sponsored

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
The update process can certainly be improved. I had to restart my update as I was driving but hadn't turned off Auto S/S and it stopped when I stopped at a stoplight. It seemed like it killed the update process. I hope Sync 3.4 improves the whole experience. I've never had mine update via WiFi even though it is connected to my home WiFi.

Hopefully Sync 3.4 will be out sooner than later.
Indeed, It would have been awesome to do this over the air for the map update. Download to my computer was over 13Mb/s, my USB sticks are more like 3-5Mb/s transfer. I'm very confused why this vehicle has wi-fi capability if it can only be used to transmit AT&T internet as a hot spot.

When I read that in the manual I had to have a chuckle since AT&T doesn't exist here as a provider.

Lmood

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I assume you have to have the nav option this to work? Or is something wrong with my Sync?

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
You got 3.4 to install? If so, you have to spill the beans....

I did the map update today and same as others it completed successfully, the Grace Notes now shows a version, but the maps still show 1 17.
Same here. Took me about 40 mins with the same results.

Last edited:

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed, It would have been awesome to do this over the air for the map update. Download to my computer was over 13Mb/s, my USB sticks are more like 3-5Mb/s transfer. I'm very confused why this vehicle has wi-fi capability if it can only be used to transmit AT&T internet as a hot spot.

When I read that in the manual I had to have a chuckle since AT&T doesn't exist here as a provider.
...Just curious...(for the folks that have the option).... Anyone try link your trucks wifi to your home wifi? No sense in using phone data speeds.. Usually what I do. While I cannot say what the speed vs time with maps are, I have wifi that is over 325 Mbps..... just a thought....

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
...Just curious...(for the folks that have the option).... Anyone try link your trucks wifi to your home wifi? No sense in using phone data speeds.. Usually what I do. While I cannot say what the speed vs time with maps are, I have wifi that is over 325 Mbps..... just a thought....
It’s not a direct download. If you download the data from the Website, you have to unzip one of the files and load them onto a USB STICK. or you can purchase a USB STICK with the update already on it and ready to install. It’s like 10Gb of data.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not a direct download. If you download the data from the Website, you have to unzip one of the files and load them onto a USB STICK. or you can purchase a USB STICK with the update already on it and ready to install. It’s like 10Gb of data.
Duh, what was I thinking. Long day.... sorry. :crazy:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to download the files Again yesterday. For those of you who want free access to the files just use the link in the email they send you and they will let you download them again. I downloaded and put them on a USB stick in the truck. I stuck it in the truck and it told me that there was an upgrade available so the files must be okay on the USB. I canceled and will wait till I go up and see my brother (@joeb427) which is a three-hour Drive. I'll install it in then.

washbob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 4x4, Saber, 501A, Trailer Tow Package, Sport Appearance Package, FX4 Package, Electronic Locking Diff, Spray in bed liner & Tinted Windows
Occupation
Retired
I was able to download the files Again yesterday. For those of you who want free access to the files just use the link in the email they send you and they will let you download them again. I downloaded and put them on a USB stick in the truck. I stuck it in the truck and it told me that there was an upgrade available so the files must be okay on the USB. I canceled and will wait till I go up and see my brother (@joeb427) which is a three-hour Drive. I'll install it in then.
I downloaded several times from my email link as I was having difficulties in unzipping the file. Finally got it unzipped and loaded to USB, went to the truck and received error message that is attached. What a fiasco, decided to just break down and spend the $40 and order the USB. Received notice today that it's being shipped, so hopefully it will work this time.

IMG_1237.jpeg

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I bought the updates from Sync. I ordered them a day apart because; I was going to do the download thing for the Ranger (it didn't go well, let's leave it at that). I got the Mustang's USB on Saturday and installed it the same day. Took about 55 minutes +/- a minute or so, all went well.
I received the Rangers USB today and I installed it rite after lunch.
Installation on the Ranger took 90 minutes! +/- a minute or so. I was surprised at how long it took and after an hour I started to get anxious but I hung in there. In the end all went well.
BUT the update for the Ranger did more than update the maps, it updated Sync! All the sluggishness I was experiencing since I bought the ranger... GONE!
I guess the extra download time was put to good use.
Just a couple of things I immediately noticed. Although it still starts in the home Screen, when I tap the music icon it switches almost instantly and my phone is recognized almost instantly also! WOW!
We'll see how this plays out... :)

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
BUT the update for the Ranger did more than update the maps, it updated Sync! All the sluggishness I was experiencing since I bought the ranger... GONE!
I guess the extra download time was put to good use.
Just a couple of things I immediately noticed. Although it still starts in the home Screen, when I tap the music icon it switches almost instantly and my phone is recognized almost instantly also! WOW!
We'll see how this plays out... :)
I'm glad it was worth the hassle for you. First my usb was formatted wrong, then one didn't have enough memory (14.9Gigs). After over six hours of hassle I was able to get the update to commence. Like you it said the Sync3 had been updated but my version number is 3.3.19052 not the 3.4.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I want to order the stick but I get this on the Ford Owners site.

Update your SYNC Software
We're committed to enhancing and improving upon the SYNC® driving experience. And to make it even better, we will periodically release software updates so you have the latest version of SYNC to keep you up-to-date and in-the-know.

You do not have a download available at this time.

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
I would like topo and satellite. What is the benefit of the map update?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
I want to order the stick but I get this on the Ford Owners site.

Update your SYNC Software
We're committed to enhancing and improving upon the SYNC® driving experience. And to make it even better, we will periodically release software updates so you have the latest version of SYNC to keep you up-to-date and in-the-know.

You do not have a download available at this time.
https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home
Sponsored