First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Good day all. I have a question about speeds everyone is getting with their ATT Connect.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a massive pipe that will give me the ability to download the whole internet but I've noticed that the speed test gives less than 10mbps up and 5 down. Being in Houston I'd expect more. Now again, I'm not upset since I do have wifi access out in the boonies where T-mobile doesn't reach so that is a nice benny as I've mentioned before.

What are you folks getting?
Sponsored

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
wow...nobody? :D lol

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
wow...nobody? :D lol
Hi Darell,

Don't use...sorry...no help.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Is this really an issue with FordPass or just your data carrier? I am not sure what you are asking.
Yeah, this one's got nothing to do with Ford Pass and comes down to the carrier. I just recently activated my 3mo trial for some specific streaming tools and I'm able to stream video over the connection (passenger monitoring the dog in the house via the Furbo app, as we work on some separation anxiety training - we're at the stage where we have to pull a vehicle out of the driveway and out of sight, but not out of the neighborhood), so it seems to work as advertised.

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
Right...I wasn't making noise about the Ford Pass app...and the carrier is ATT which everyone has...I was asking if anyone has thought about running a speed test while hooked into their wifi hotspot and what speeds they were getting. That's all I was interested in.

BR
D

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Right...I wasn't making noise about the Ford Pass app...and the carrier is ATT which everyone has...I was asking if anyone has thought about running a speed test while hooked into their wifi hotspot and what speeds they were getting. That's all I was interested in.

BR
D
Ah, now I get it. I have never used any vehicle as a wifi hotspot so I don't have a clue.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I think the problem is that not many people activate that. I thought about doing the 3 month trial just for grins, but never did it, since (as I recall) they wanted credit card info, etc. I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot, so there is really no reason for me to use it and I think a lot of people have similar thoughts.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I'm considering keeping it and doing 1yr subscription after my trial runs out. my wife and I keep a limited data plan on our phones and usually have carryover data. but the times we run out of data are on road trips (and we also intentionally try to save big data dumps for when we have wifi). so having an unlimited data plan in the truck for road trips would be handy.

I noticed when I activated my trial recently that unlimited plans include the use of a Warner streaming service for passengers to use on their phones/tablets. I don't remember seeing that available when I bought the truck in the spring.

so far it works pretty well for me. I'll put it through its paces more as I have it, and at the prompting of this post, I'll probably run some speed tests comparing my home wifi (I pay for a 100GB fiber internet connection and consistently get about 120GB up/down via Cat6 wire), the truck, and my cellular plan (verizon).

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I think the problem is that not many people activate that. I thought about doing the 3 month trial just for grins, but never did it, since (as I recall) they wanted credit card info, etc. I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot, so there is really no reason for me to use it and I think a lot of people have similar thoughts.
Yeah, we have unlimited data on our phones so why pay for one on the truck. Beside ATT is not the greatest service in some areas around me.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Good day all. I have a question about speeds everyone is getting with their ATT Connect.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a massive pipe that will give me the ability to download the whole internet but I've noticed that the speed test gives less than 10mbps up and 5 down. Being in Houston I'd expect more. Now again, I'm not upset since I do have wifi access out in the boonies where T-mobile doesn't reach so that is a nice benny as I've mentioned before.

What are you folks getting?
Well, I never thought about it, but you got me curious.

So, I ran a speed test on my phone (I think it was to/from some University in Michigan?)

When WiFI connected to my home router:
80/80 mbps, which is what I pay for - of course that router is connected via fiber optic to Verizon.

When WiFi connected to my ATT hotspot in the truck:
12/5 mbps, which of course is over the ATT cellular network.

Not exactly apples/apples, and I'm not sure that these tests really did what I thought they were doing, but I was somewhat surprised.
I'm not sure what to think
I'll ponder it and maybe repeat the tests sometime.

Just thought I'd mention it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Never even tried using it. I know it's free for a bit, but I already pay a wireless bill and my phone, as do most, will function as a hot spot.

Seems a pretty useless feature to me. Except for the fact that I have Sprint and AT&T might have better coverage in some spots. But not worth paying for IMHO.

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
Yeah at home I've got plenty of throughput but out on the road sometimes it's a bit slow. I get the unlimited at 25 a month as I use more than the lower tier package gives. It WORKS...but its not as fast as I would think it should be since it should have a higher wattage receiver available.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Never even tried using it. I know it's free for a bit, but I already pay a wireless bill and my phone, as do most, will function as a hot spot.

Seems a pretty useless feature to me. Except for the fact that I have Sprint and AT&T might have better coverage in some spots. But not worth paying for IMHO.
If you have an unlimited data plan on your phone, then yeah, it's less useful.

But, if you don't have an unlimited data plan, there's definitely some usefulness to it. Also, not all carriers allow you to use your phone as a hotspot. Also, I think with the cellular antenna on the roof, there are reception improvements to be had compared to a handset. AT&T is definitely not the best in my area in general, but I've absolutely noticed that the truck gets better reception than my phone at times (not always). Some of them being when my phone doesn't have reception at all.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
my home wifi gets me 120/121, my Verizon mobile data is 25/7, and the truck is 14/6 (on the 3mo trial). So yeah, it's slower. But the networks are different, different quality, etc, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited: