FordPass and iOS14

Paulw11

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Wildtrak
I have had this same issue and have been cursing the Ford app developers, but I think the issue is with Apple.

I am an iOS developer so I know where to look for more information on what apps are doing;

if you have opted in to share data with app developers when you set up your device you can go to “Analytics & improvements-> Analytics data”
In privacy settings to find various log files.

Looking in the tree I can see numerous reports about the Ford Pass app’s high CPU usage.

What is interesting is that the fault is shown to be in the external accessory framework; this is the part of iOS that handles devices connected via USB cables. I suspect the trigger for the problem is connecting to your car via CarPlay, which is why the app seems ok for a while and then the problem comes back.

In summary, I think Apple needs to fix this not Ford.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Murphie

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Noticed today that there's a new version (3.10.0) available. But I don't think anything has changed. I installed it earlier today, was out driving, and it seemed normal. But after I got home, it's still running in the background - despite turning off access to everything - and accounts for 67% of my battery usage, all noted as 'Background Activity'.

I also noted (after the fact) that Ford has responded to some of the reviews, noting 'We are working with Apple to address this issue affecting some devices running on iOS 14+ after being connected via USB to the vehicle. As a short-term remedy, we recommend restarting your phone.'

I don't connect via USB for my iPhone, only Bluetooth.

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Noticed today that there's a new version (3.10.0) available. But I don't think anything has changed. I installed it earlier today, was out driving, and it seemed normal. But after I got home, it's still running in the background - despite turning off access to everything - and accounts for 67% of my battery usage, all noted as 'Background Activity'.

I also noted (after the fact) that Ford has responded to some of the reviews, noting 'We are working with Apple to address this issue affecting some devices running on iOS 14+ after being connected via USB to the vehicle. As a short-term remedy, we recommend restarting your phone.'

I don't connect via USB for my iPhone, only Bluetooth.
Same for me. I’m out. They’ve had long enough.

Paulw11

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Wildtrak
Yes, I thought it was only when I connected the USB but I noticed the issue after only connecting via Bluetooth too.
I have a case open with Apple support. They said to expect an update mid next week

Paulw11

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Wildtrak
I haven't heard anything from Apple or Ford to date, but iOS 14.1 was released today. So far it looks promising.

I have been in the car a couple of times, with CarPlay active and FordPass isn't even appearing in the battery list in iOS.

CanadianRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
I’m running the latest iOS version (14.1) on my iPhone 11 and have the latest app version installed (3.11.0).

I just wanted to share an observation: The battery drain problem seems to not exist on my phone when I have cellular data turned off and only have WiFi turned on. I noticed my battery almost immediately decreasing once data is turned back on.

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
It might be a little early, but I think I may have identified the problem and a workaround.

Others have mentioned that the battery drain only happens after connecting via USB or Bluetooth, and I've had the same experience.

I've uninstalled the app, re-installed and everything is fine.
Until... I have to drive somewhere when I usually plug-in to use CarPlay.

So this connection related trigger got me thinking.
I remember that the SYNC head unit has "built-in" apps which I never use.
I only use the apps natively on my iPhone, thru carplay.

So I dug into the SYNC settings on the head unit and turned off these options.
See the screenshot below.
IMG_0280.jpeg

My theory is. that these settings allow the built-in SYNC apps to use my phone's data connection over USB or Bluetooth THROUGH the Ford Pass app.

I turned them off.
Took an hour round trip drive last night, and another short trip this morning.
So far the battery usage on the phone shows a relatively normal 10% reading for the FordPass app.

I'm thinking that the SYNC apps use data THROUGH the FordPass app on your phone in the background and that activity is never severed when you disconnect, causing the battery drain.

We'll see if the phone's battery drain returns, but I thought I'd share my short experiment so far.

-Todd

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I’m going to try it. Annoying problem.

Paulw11

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Wildtrak
The problem is a bug in iOS 14 in the code that handles external accessories. When a supported external accessory is connected iOS recognises it and tries to launch the matching app.

Turning off the mobile apps is a good idea and a potential work around since it should stop the car from triggering this code in the phone.

I have found that the problem has also been addressed by the combination of iOS 14.1 and FordPass 3.11.0.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So far disabling the apps has worked. Thanks ToddlerCO.

After several days still fine. ToddlerCO nailed it. Thanks again.

Last edited:

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Thanks for the update on this. I was wondering why my iPhone battery was running down so quickly AND heating up. I have corrected the issue now...

kastory

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Anyone else still having Battery drain issues with the FordPass app an IOS 14.2? If I use the FordPass app I have to make sure I kill it and re-boot the phone or it kills the phone battery. I know they say they are working on it.. and it is free to use... but it is annoying :).

OP
OP
Murphie

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Anyone else still having Battery drain issues with the FordPass app an IOS 14.2? If I use the FordPass app I have to make sure I kill it and re-boot the phone or it kills the phone battery. I know they say they are working on it.. and it is free to use... but it is annoying :).
I gave up on the app not long after I started this thread. I do check the App Store periodically to see if any significant update has been released. Just checked again today, and version 3.14.0 is out there, but reviews still note it as a battery drain.
Sponsored