Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Active emergency braking is the feature people are trying to comment on.
HI Chance,

Duh....brain fart on my part...Thanks!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Looks like Ford finally offers an approved brake controller
Look here...
.. https://accessories.ford.com/exterior/trailer-towing/module-trailer-brake-12688.html

I hope the brake controller works better then that zoom feature on that picture...

But on a serious note, its a Redarc that is going to install how it was previously mentioned. Its going to get the signal from the upper brake light wth the new box inline and a different ground.

If you want to use AEB and adaptive cruise while towing a trailer with brakes then yes, this controller is a must. If you want to pull a trailer with brakes and shut off AEB and not use adaptive cruise, then a Redarc unit (or any aftermarket unit) hooked to the four wires under the dash will work perfectly.

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I hope the brake controller works better then that zoom feature on that picture...

But on a serious note, its a Redarc that is going to install how it was previously mentioned. Its going to get the signal from the upper brake light wth the new box inline and a different ground.

If you want to use AEB and adaptive cruise while towing a trailer with brakes then yes, this controller is a must. If you want to pull a trailer with brakes and shut off AEB and not use adaptive cruise, then a Redarc unit (or any aftermarket unit) hooked to the four wires under the dash will work perfectly.

Exactly. We have no intention of running either AEB or Adaptive Cruise while towing. The four wires supplied and an aftermarket controller is working just fine for us, and at a 30% of the cost. It's all good.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford

So what is difference between the commercially available Redarc and the Ford endorsed version?
Modern brake controllers like Redarc, Insight and Prodigy have inertial activation circuitry which work proportional to deceleration even without tow vehicle brake activation....so where is the danger?

I have an Insight and AEB , but not Adaptive cruise control and I don't see the problem with leaving it on.
If there is a good explanation I wold love to here it.

If the Ford/Redarc brake controller is necessary for safe towing with the Ranger then Ford has been negligent for at least a year by selling an incomplete and dangerous tow package.
Why would Ford supply the harness to hook up an aftermarket .brake controller and intentionally endanger the buyer?

Actually the text in the Ford Ad may contain the answer, it says.
" the only Ford Approved brake controller compatible with all vehicle safety systems"..
The implication may well be that it is not the only brake controller which is compatible.

Lastly... did Ford intend for Ranger buyers to buy a truck with a tow package then wait a year to actually use it, or did they intentionally endanger the buyer?

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford kit is adding that "SST-4000G trailer lamp ECU", but I really can't find much documentation about it. I'm GUESSING it is reading CAN-bus to send the proper brake signal out.

vkb3z-2c006-a-20191211181457.jpg

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
So what is difference between the commercially available Redarc and the Ford endorsed version?
Modern brake controllers like Redarc, Insight and Prodigy have inertial activation circuitry which work proportional to deceleration even without tow vehicle brake activation....so where is the danger?
I messaged Redarc a couple of days go and asked if the Redarc would still apply the trailer breakes if the unit saw rapid deceleration but no brake input. Here is his reply:

"Thank you for the enquiry.

You are 99% correct Steven. The Tow Pro will only activate the brakes when the pedal is depressed, or if the override button is pressed. These are the only two situations where the Tow Pro will send power to the trailers brakes.

When you say “truck was decelerating via emergency braking” can I ask what you are referring to? If the vehicle has a “emergency braking feature” then it will apply the brake lights to inform drivers behind you are braking. If this is the case, you can wire the Tow Pro brake signal to the trailer plug brake wire and capture ALL braking situations.

I hope this helps Steven, if you want to chat more about this please feel free to reply to this email.

For any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask either by reply email or contact our technical support line on (08) 8322 4848.

Best regards,

Todd Simpson
Customer Service Technician
REDARC Electronics"

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I messaged Redarc a couple of days go and asked if the Redarc would still apply the trailer breakes if the unit saw rapid deceleration but no brake input. Here is his reply:

"Thank you for the enquiry.

You are 99% correct Steven. The Tow Pro will only activate the brakes when the pedal is depressed, or if the override button is pressed. These are the only two situations where the Tow Pro will send power to the trailers brakes.

When you say “truck was decelerating via emergency braking” can I ask what you are referring to? If the vehicle has a “emergency braking feature” then it will apply the brake lights to inform drivers behind you are braking. If this is the case, you can wire the Tow Pro brake signal to the trailer plug brake wire and capture ALL braking situations.

I hope this helps Steven, if you want to chat more about this please feel free to reply to this email.

For any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask either by reply email or contact our technical support line on (08) 8322 4848.

Best regards,

Todd Simpson
Customer Service Technician
REDARC Electronics"
Thanks, good start on unravelling this issue!:like:

Now, are we to assume that the Tow vehicle wiring harness supplied by Ford is the equivalent to the "trailer plug" which would be a reasonable assumption.

What do you conclude from your conversation with Redarc?

Can we assume that the AEB does activate the brake lights and therefore the trailer brakes, per Redarc's response?

Last edited:

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Yes, from talking to them i gather that it would basically be the same thing. I believe ford is just trying to make it more plug and play and wrapping it up in a nice neat package.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did I miss something?
Is the issue about trailer brake activation or only about trailer brake light activation?

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
So I just sent this to my dealer and asked if the sell it and how much installed.

He said it's not offered.

Screenshot_20200115-113949.png

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Can we assume that the AEB does activate the brake lights and therefore the trailer brakes, per Redarc's response?
No, they think there's a "trailer plug brake wire" which simply isn't true. There is so much misinformation on this it's ridiculous.

I think it's time to hang a bed sheet across the driveway and test out this AEB thing once and for all.

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Yes he said trailer plug wire, however i just took it as if you wire it into the upper brake light like ford said, it would activate with AEB without issue. I ignored his suggestion of the trailer plug wire.
Sponsored