Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It is my opinion tlhis vehicle was towed in park...the allegation the procedure was followed is likely not the case. I know since I have towed over 5000 miles at about 500 miles at a time.

Best,
Phil
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
im not sure but i assume some electronic solenoid thingy is pushing or pulling a pin to lock it in or out , and it needs power to do so , that seems like it can fail to me even if done properly , when the EST (electronic solenoid thingy) fails , then things would engage and codes would be set , but i really have NO CLUE how it actually works , but Ford position of "it can only happen if you do it wrong" is not believable to me ...
Well hell. With such an expert assessment of the mechanical workings of the Ranger and what might have happened I don't see how Ford could argue against you.;)

I'm no expert either. But I know this one old dude who kinda is. And he seems to think the truck was towed in park. I'm gonna roll with that until I'm shown otherwise.

Utope

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cactus Grey XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sounds like to be safe, you should just pull the driveshaft so you don’t have worry about it.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Depending on how the transfer case disengages the driveshafts, one could put it in neutral tow, verify it is indeed in neutral tow, then unplug the electronic actuator motor on the transfer case to ensure that the truck couldn't shift itself back into 2 or 4wd. Then check again to see if still in neutral. Just a thought.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
As many nannies as they put on new vehicles but with something that has to be done in a precise correct order or catastrophic damage will occur Ford doesn't make this idiot proof ?

Seems like it could tell if all 4 wheels were turning even though the engine was not on and the transfer case not in neutral, at least set off the alarm !

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
As many nannies as they put on new vehicles but with something that has to be done in a precise correct order or catastrophic damage will occur Ford doesn't make this idiot proof ?

Seems like it could tell if all 4 wheels were turning even though the engine was not on and the transfer case not in natural, at least set off the alarm !
Good idea Benny. But would they hear it?

BDB32FE8-363C-4917-AF93-419B665B9DC9.gif

;)

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
An older couple who just bought an RV asked me to help them setup a flat tow vehicle. Luckily they hadn't picked one out yet.

I talked them into getting a manual transmission, base Chevy Spark. It weighs nothing, is allowed to be flat towed by GM, and is easy to setup the tow bar and wiring. Bonus, the color Marshmello matches the RV. I swear GM did this on purpose.

They are super happy with the choice, because the only time they use the car is to run errands while traveling.

20180609_204631.jpg
20180609_204625.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Seems like it could tell if all 4 wheels were turning even though the engine was not on and the transfer case not in neutral, at least set off the alarm !
Good idea.

ABS wheelspeed sensors could be used.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Can electric cars be flat towed i wonder ? ? most likely , and probably gets charged while in tow... but imagine the cost there if things go bad ...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
would there be any indication that something is wrong once underway?
like skidding tires? Cars passing you waving their arms hysterically?
I'm sure the motorhome has enough power you may not feel the drag, but there must be an indication something is amiss.
Hi RP,

No experience but I think there would be feedback that something isn't right.

Best,
Phil

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Hi RP,

No experience but I think there would be feedback that something isn't right.

Best,
Phil
I'd think there would be additional drag, like the parking brake is on, unless you have one of those monster RVs with a huge diesel.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I understand what you are saying and am sympathetic to it (as well as the major dent in your checkbook :(). My point is just that Ford likely has telemetry that says the transmission was damaged by improper towing (and probably can prove it, according to their engineering team if sued). I can't fault Ford for denying a claim that from their point of view could only happen if you towed it improperly.

My point about me probably disconnecting the drive shaft if I have to do an all four tow is related more to my basic skepticism that people can figure every little detail out, even engineers, so maybe there is a very small chance their telemetry isn't fool proof. ;)

I will say though, I was a pilot for most of my life and was always interested in accidents that were attributed to pilot error. I can't tell you how many times I read an account where the pilot swore up and down he followed the emergency checklist precisely, only to find out he had missed critical items that he remembered precisely he had accomplished. The human brain is a very amazing organ, it will remember things you KNOW you did, when in fact, you physically didn't do it. I think from Ford's point of view, unless you can prove you did it precisely as outlined in the OM they have to assume their engineers didn't miss anything in the neutral tow design.
Fantastic point. That is why as pilots we still have the physical checklist in front of us and run down it despite how much we train and train and memorize. Brains are fallible they can be tricked there have been studies where people were tricked into thinking they had committed crimes and they had exact details and were adamant they had happened when in reality as I suspect was the case with op they hadnt.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
would there be any indication that something is wrong once underway?
like skidding tires? Cars passing you waving their arms hysterically?
I'm sure the motorhome has enough power you may not feel the drag, but there must be an indication something is amiss.
With how unobservant people have demonstrated themselves as I am sure there was some indication, I am less sure they would be noticed lol or more likely they were disregarded as huh thats weird eh must be nothing.