Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.2 Ranger XL
Occupation
Software dev
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all

Is it possible to fix slight panel gap between the bumper and fender flare panel?

My left side is tight and looks good but the right is not.

Thanks!

20210125_164143.jpg
Sponsored

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
as a guy w/OCD...
there are odd body tolerance irregularities all over this truck, my last truck, my wife's '20 Escape, etc.
Her hood was so outta whack I made them align it in their body shop before I made my final offer to buy.

..anyways look past it, its not worth the hassle. tolerances on production vehicles are not made for people like us who notice.
o_O

OP
OP
Saiga_V46

Saiga_V46

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.2 Ranger XL
Occupation
Software dev
Vehicle Showcase
as a guy w/OCD...
there are odd body tolerance irregularities all over this truck, my last truck, my wife's '20 Escape, etc.
Her hood was so outta whack I made them align it in their body shop before I made my final offer to buy.

..anyways look past it, its not worth the hassle. tolerances on production vehicles are not made for people like us who notice.
o_O

Having OCD is such a pain. With this car I guess its because its my first ever new car. My older trucks were scratched up because I got them like that and it never bothered me. Now that I have a pristine one my OCD has returned lol

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Having OCD is such a pain. With this car I guess its because its my first ever new car. My older trucks were scratched up because I got them like that and it never bothered me. Now that I have a pristine one my OCD has returned lol
trust me I feel your pain. I annoy myself as much as I'm certain I annoy those around me with what I see that most dont.
:surprised:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I don't know about every car manufacturer, but back in the days of hand assembly, it was normal part of the build process to even the panel gaps, especially door openings, with molten lead. The worker would clean the target area, apply some flux, then spread some lead solder with a paddle. The lead would then be filed into the correct shape, primed, and painted with the rest of the body.

If you're restoring an older Porsche, you might replace a damaged door with a donor from another car, but it would be nothing short of miraculous if the door actually fit the opening on the target car. This type of highly-skilled labor is part of the high cost of these low-production cars.

Today we have relatively precise tolerances for body panel gaps, but they are built to a price point. You can most certainly duplicate the antique process and make it closer to perfect. Something about making a silk purse from a sow's ear comes to mind. I'm fine with it the way it is, at the current cost.

CashSeeAO

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-retired engineer
Hi all

Is it possible to fix slight panel gap between the bumper and fender flare panel?

My left side is tight and looks good but the right is not.

Thanks!

20210125_164143.jpg
It doesn’t look that bad. Enjoy your Ranger.

Took me over a month after I bought my ‘20 Ranger to mentally get over the various gaps and misalignments of my truck’s hood, door, and front right quarter panel. I even took it to an official Ford body shop and they really did not want to deal with it. Their response was they frequently see these issues from Ford, and one might get into more problems trying to fix the issues. This was my biggest disappointment from my first Ford purchase. Never had to deal with body issues from Subaru, Honda, or Mazda (personal experience).
Sponsored