First Name
Rhame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
I purchased my 2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 for my primary transportation and to tow behind my Class A diesel pusher RV. After a recent trip from Nashville Tenn to Little Rock Ark (approximately 400 miles flat towing the Ranger) we were unable to remove the Ranger from the "Neutral Tow" mode. I called the Ford roadside service number and a contracted (Ford) tow truck responded to the campsite and (flatbed) transported the Ranger to a local Little Rock Ford dealership. After the service department examined the Ranger, the service tech advised me the transmission was damaged beyond repair and based upon the damage Ford was not going to honor the "bumper to bumper warranty" that was still in effect. Their claim and position was based upon a memo from Ford stating that if you observe this damage (in this case, my transmission damage) to deny all warranty claims. Throughout this process both myself and my traveling partner maintained the vehicle was in "neutral tow (as indicated on the dash)". I have spoken to 4 individuals via the Ford Customer Service number and all 4 stated it was the local dealerships responsibility to accept or deny a claim. The Little Rock Ford dealership stated their hands were tied because Ford gave direction to deny the claim. I ended up paying for the replacement of a new transmission on my one year old Ranger at the tune of $6,300.

Has anyone else had this experience of a vehicle placed into "neutral tow" and damage occurred?

Has anyone else had Ford deny a warranty that was active?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased my 2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 for my primary transportation and to tow behind my Class A diesel pusher RV. After a recent trip from Nashville Tenn to Little Rock Ark (approximately 400 miles flat towing the Ranger) we were unable to remove the Ranger from the "Neutral Tow" mode. I called the Ford roadside service number and a contracted (Ford) tow truck responded to the campsite and (flatbed) transported the Ranger to a local Little Rock Ford dealership. After the service department examined the Ranger, the service tech advised me the transmission was damaged beyond repair and based upon the damage Ford was not going to honor the "bumper to bumper warranty" that was still in effect. Their claim and position was based upon a memo from Ford stating that if you observe this damage (in this case, my transmission damage) to deny all warranty claims. Throughout this process both myself and my traveling partner maintained the vehicle was in "neutral tow (as indicated on the dash)". I have spoken to 4 individuals via the Ford Customer Service number and all 4 stated it was the local dealerships responsibility to accept or deny a claim. The Little Rock Ford dealership stated their hands were tied because Ford gave direction to deny the claim. I ended up paying for the replacement of a new transmission on my one year old Ranger at the tune of $6,300.

Has anyone else had this experience of a vehicle placed into "neutral tow" and damage occurred?

Hi Rhame,

There are a few threads of similar transmissions being damaged. You can search for these threads.

Best,
Phil

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Holy Bat Dung Bat Man. I would tty two things. First massage Ford, then get a lawyer

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Holy Bat Dung Bat Man. I would tty two things. First massage Ford, then get a lawyer
Agreed. A nice mouth massage might get it covered. Worth a shot as he currently feels like he's already getting bent over.

OP
OP

msrhame

First Name
Rhame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
Rhame,
I haven't had a denial but your issue is perplexing. I would contact the top administration at Ford and find out specifically why they wouldn't pay? I would insist on them reimbursing you unless they can prove their position beyond a doubt. When I was a kid bought a brand new vehicle from Chevrolet with several major issues and they kept putting me off. My Dad came up with a plan that worked. We went down to the dealer early one morning and he told the manger that we would sit in the waiting room until they agreed to fix it. The manager got nervous after a few hours and called us in and then offered to take mine and gave me a brand new one in exchange!
I have contacted Ford Customer Service and spoke to 4 different individuals, 2 claiming they were supervisors. The last advised me she was the last person that I could direct my concern/complaint to and I had no other options to resolve this issue.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
A new tranny plus labor is 6300 ? Was that full price. ? or a "discount" ? I financed mine through Ford for just such an occasion, "fix it or come and get it " is my position ... but away from home , you gotta do what ya gotta do ... was it somehow still in gear ?

OP
OP

msrhame

First Name
Rhame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
The service manager claimed it was the "cash" price. It was in neutral the entire time, as the manual states. I follow the manual directions every time for flat tow (I keep a copy in my truck and in this case my traveling partner also witnessed that the dash indicated the vehicle was in "neutral tow") .

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
The service manager claimed it was the "cash" price. It was in neutral the entire time, as the manual states. I follow the manual directions every time for flat tow (I keep a copy in my truck and in this case my traveling partner also witnessed that the dash indicated the vehicle was in "neutral tow") .

Is it their position that you did not follow the proper procedure? Have you looked through the other linked thread? Are you SURE you did it right?

Would be real shitty to find out you weren't doing it right by having to replace another new transmission for no reason.

Cash price? Sounds like they saw you coming a mile away. Dude with money stranded while on vacation. Easy payday.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Manufacturers deny warranty claims all the time, whether they are filed within the warranty period or not. Ford is no different. They have their reasons for not handling this claim. My guess is they feel you didn’t perform the flat tow procedure properly.

I’m sorry this happened but just because it’s a “bumper to bumper” warranty and you’re within the “active” warranty period, it doesn’t mean they have to honour the claim.

I’d certainly demand an explanation as to why it is being denied. Others have had this happen and it’s been taken care of by Ford, others have not been as fortunate. If they have a reason, hopefully they‘ll let you know what that is.

Best of luck with this.

OP
OP

msrhame

First Name
Rhame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
Is it their position that you did not follow the proper procedure? Have you looked through the other linked thread? Are you SURE you did it right?

Would be real shitty to find out you weren't doing it right by having to replace another new transmission for no reason.

Cash price? Sounds like they saw you coming a mile away. Dude with money stranded while on vacation. Easy payday.
I'm sure I followed the manual for neutral flat tow (I keep a copy of the manual page with me). And my traveling partner also witnessed that the dash indicated the vehicle was in "neutral tow".

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I'm sure I followed the manual for neutral flat tow (I keep a copy of the manual page with me). And my traveling partner also witnessed that the dash indicated the vehicle was in "neutral tow".
Did you verify this in anyway physically or just by the light.

Did you read the linked thread? There are a couple of possible pitfalls.

Repeating your explanation when questions are asked is not gonna help your cause. Here or with Ford. Details are going to be needed.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
I',m sure you feel that way and you maybe did. But did Ford give you a clear concise reason for them not honoring the warranty?

The last thing you need is to pay a lawyer $300 - $500 an hour.....

OP
OP

msrhame

First Name
Rhame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
I',m sure you feel that way and you maybe did. But did Ford give you a clear concise reason for them not honoring the warranty?

The last thing you need is to pay a lawyer $300 - $500 an hour.....
The denial was based upon a memo/directive from Ford (i was given a copy of the memo) that stated if this damage occurs deny the warranty. No one verbally stated that I was in error regarding placing the Ranger in neutral tow. The denial was based upon the memo and not discovery of the problem.
Sponsored