Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Flying High
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

I decided to ditch the front plate as my new state doesn't require one. Upon removing the bracket, there are some some scratches on the top of the bumper, where the bracket was sitting.

The dealership says they do not sell touch up paint for the Ranger's bumpers, as they are plastic :facepalm: (this alone makes me want to steer clear of them). The body shop the dealership uses will not perform touch ups and wants $500 to repaint.

I am looking to try and repair this myself (which is why I wanted the touch up paint in the first place). Ideally, I would sand this with high grit sandpaper, and then use touch up paint.

Does anyone have a line on where to get matching touch up paint for the bumper (did not find any on Ford Parts)?

Also any tips, tricks, techniques, etc... are welcome.

Pictures:

IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
If you can find a name for the paint color, or a paint code from Ford for the color, any auto paint supplier can mix up a small can or spray can using the code.
Have done it many times, but it is a bit pricey, usually around 20-25 bucks for a single spray can. But the color will probably be right on.
Alternative, since it's on the upper edge and partially in a shadow, sand the spots to smooth em and just use a can of Dupli Color that matches it.
My Ranger has the exact same color/bumper as yours, and thats what I would end up doing. Being in the upper/inward edge and in a shadow, it probably wouldn't be noticeable at all.

Last edited:

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
SEM Trim black is a great option. If it was a sport package truck, the bumpers and fender trim are Magnetic

OP
OP
WesternFlyer

WesternFlyer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Flying High
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @Grumpaw and @McLeadslinger ! I will probably try some touch up and see how it looks before repainting the whole bumper. No sport package magnetic here, so will try and match the black bumper paint.

OP
OP
WesternFlyer

WesternFlyer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Flying High
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the mental note to install foam backing on my front plate when I need it next year.
Yeah most definitely do so. Mine came dealer installed, didn't even think about it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you can find a name for the paint color, or a paint code from Ford for the color, any auto paint supplier can mix up a small can or spray can using the code.
Have done it many times, but it is a bit pricey, usually around 20-25 bucks for a single spray can. But the color will probably be right on.
Alternative, since it's on the upper edge and partially in a shadow, sand the spots to smooth em and just use a can of Dupli Color that matches it.
My Ranger has the exact same color/bumper as yours, and thats what I would end up doing. Being in the upper/inward edge and in a shadow, it probably wouldn't be noticeable at all.
Thanks @Grumpaw and @McLeadslinger ! I will probably try some touch up and see how it looks before repainting the whole bumper. No sport package magnetic here, so will try and match the black bumper paint.
Matt, as Steve said the area is shadowed and should be easy to fix. Here are two other places that you can get factory colors from. One is a touch up bottle and the other is a rattle can and they have other options such as a touch up pen and bottle. I would just tape off the front lip and spray the whole top area and it should look good.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com

https://drcolorchip.com/product/basic-kit-touch-up-paint-chip-repair/

OP
OP
WesternFlyer

WesternFlyer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Flying High
Vehicle Showcase
Matt, as Steve said the area is shadowed and should be easy to fix. Here are two other places that you can get factory colors from. One is a touch up bottle and the other is a rattle can and they have other options such as a touch up pen and bottle. I would just tape off the front lip and spray the whole top area and it should look good.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com

https://drcolorchip.com/product/basic-kit-touch-up-paint-chip-repair/
Thanks, Dave! Just ordered a black spray can from automotive touch up. Planning on taping off the front and hitting the whole top with the rattle can.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Dave! Just ordered a black spray can from automotive touch up. Planning on taping off the front and hitting the whole top with the rattle can.

How'd this turn out? I am looking to match the black bumper paint.
Sponsored