First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. Makes me wonder what the changes were from 2020 that warrants the delay. Or is it just red tape? Was there a similar delay from 19 to 20?
Probably had to recertify 2021 the EPA is a very small group. Takes time.
Sponsored

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
I know nobody asked but I'm going to give an initial review of my experience with the new FPP tune update in comparison to the first FPP tune. After ~50 miles of my typical route:

Truck feels less snappy off the line, and about the same when doing a rolling WOT punch.
Initial transmission feel was lots of bucking and hard shifts, but has smoothed out considerably and does not seem to hold gears nearly as long.
MPG seems to be slightly down, but could be due to the tranny re-learn or many other factors (fuel, air temp, barometric pressure, etc)

I suspect that the change was mostly lowering boost pressure, and restricting the tranny shift points to a certain rpm. AFRs probably aren't as lean also which would explain the loss of snap off the line and the MPG decrease. Doing all of these things means safer temperatures during towing operations.

I do tow often enough that I might just keep this tune on, but it is so easy to flash over I wonder if Ford Performance would let me have my old tune back if I desired? I might send an email to see. It would be nice to have both IMO.

OP
OP
Rp930

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I know nobody asked but I'm going to give an initial review of my experience with the new FPP tune update in comparison to the first FPP tune. After ~50 miles of my typical route:

Truck feels less snappy off the line, and about the same when doing a rolling WOT punch.
Initial transmission feel was lots of bucking and hard shifts, but has smoothed out considerably and does not seem to hold gears nearly as long.
MPG seems to be slightly down, but could be due to the tranny re-learn or many other factors (fuel, air temp, barometric pressure, etc)

I suspect that the change was mostly lowering boost pressure, and restricting the tranny shift points to a certain rpm. AFRs probably aren't as lean also which would explain the loss of snap off the line and the MPG decrease. Doing all of these things means safer temperatures during towing operations.

I do tow often enough that I might just keep this tune on, but it is so easy to flash over I wonder if Ford Performance would let me have my old tune back if I desired? I might send an email to see. It would be nice to have both IMO.
My experience is almost the opposite. I think it has more grunt in the low to mid range and seems to skip gears a lot less. It seems more responsive in traffic and seems to downshift quicker. Initially I thought it shifted up too soon but as the transmission has learned it feels better than before. I guess more people will weigh in. The more I drive it the more I like it.

Last edited:

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Vitis805 said:

My experience is almost the opposite. I think it has more grunt in the low to mid range and seems to skip gears a lot less. It seems more responsive in traffic and seems to downshift quicker. Initially I thought it shifted up too soon but as the transmission has learned it feels better than before. I guess more people will weigh in. The more I drive it the more I like it.
Thanks to you both for sharing your experiences with the updated tune. As I rarely tow, I'll wait a bit to see what the general consensus is on the update before installing. Almost rushed right into it, thanks again!

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
My experience is almost the opposite.
I know, I found that peculiar. I was expecting the changes that you had mentioned but kept experiencing the opposite. My low end seems to be less than before (I could chirp at any stop if not careful) and now seems to take a bit of an effort to chirp. I also travel a grade that would hold the tranny at some gear (XL trim, no read out, so I'd be guessing) @ around 4k RPM at 69 MPH unloaded, and now it upshifts long before that. This is all in D, I haven't done the route back and forth in S yet.

I will drive it at least 2k to decide if I like it more or less.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase

HoosierRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4

Snow3d

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Subaru Forester XT
Occupation
Human
Definitely a bummer that the tune isn't ready yet for the 21's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rp930

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I know, I found that peculiar. I was expecting the changes that you had mentioned but kept experiencing the opposite. My low end seems to be less than before (I could chirp at any stop if not careful) and now seems to take a bit of an effort to chirp. I also travel a grade that would hold the tranny at some gear (XL trim, no read out, so I'd be guessing) @ around 4k RPM at 69 MPH unloaded, and now it upshifts long before that. This is all in D, I haven't done the route back and forth in S yet.

Would be interesting to see a badk to back dyno run of old and new.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger

In D, if you hit the "shift up" button it will toggle the gear display in the center screen.

Bor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
So far it looks like we have one thumbs up and one thumbs down for the updated tune. Did Anyone else try it and what do you think?

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I updated my tune, verified that the file ID changed in the ProCal app on my PC, and flashed the update to my truck. After updating, I can't say I've noticed any huge differences in power or drivability -- both remain greatly improved over the stock calibration. It was worth the 30mins of work for the peace of mind provided by knowing that the tune is compatible with towing.

Bor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Bump. Any more feedback on the updated tune ?
Sponsored