Ford performance tune update

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
I had seen enough info about not being able to tow with the tune and that got me worried. I just called ford performance and they let me know two important facts:

1) since I'm buying a 2021 I have to wait until they update the tune later this yr for 2021. Said it will not jive with a 2021.
2) you cannot tow with this tune and not invalidate your warranty. Deal breaker for me. Not designed for towing.

They did say late 2021 that they expect an updated tune that would accommodate a 2021 truck and towing.

Long story short.. ill be wtg for the new tune before I go that route.
Sponsored

bbenea

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
That's strange that they would tell you that. There is nothing in any of the literature or website that indicates any kind of limitation with this tune other than 91 octane being the min fuel. They will have a hard time denying claims associated with towing. I have this tune and have towed with it, no issues. If this is a true limitation it should be clearly published in the associated documentation.

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
That's strange that they would tell you that. There is nothing in any of the literature or website that indicates any kind of limitation with this tune other than 91 octane being the min fuel. They will have a hard time denying claims associated with towing. I have this tune and have towed with it, no issues. If this is a true limitation it should be clearly published in the associated documentation.
Came straight from Ford performance and I can't risk an issue with them as I will be towing with the truck. I'm erring toward being safe and holding off now.

Shomare

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Union President
I had seen enough info about not being able to tow with the tune and that got me worried. I just called ford performance and they let me know two important facts:

1) since I'm buying a 2021 I have to wait until they update the tune later this yr for 2021. Said it will not jive with a 2021.
2) you cannot tow with this tune and not invalidate your warranty. Deal breaker for me. Not designed for towing.

They did say late 2021 that they expect an updated tune that would accommodate a 2021 truck and towing.

You do realize you can flash back to stock when you need to tow right?

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
You do realize you can flash back to stock when you need to tow right?
I dont want to flash back and forth every time I need to tow. If once in a blue moon that would work, but not several times a week. Ill just wt until the tune is set up to accommodate towing as they said it would be I'm the future.

But I appreciate your reply. That would work for some, I'm sure.

Shomare

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Union President
I dont want to flash back and forth every time I need to tow. If once in a blue moon that would work, but not several times a week. Ill just wt until the tune is set up to accommodate towing as they said it would be I'm the future.

But I appreciate your reply. That would work for some, I'm sure.
Yes, works for me. I have the FPT installed and run it for daily driving. Never knew it was an issue for towing, no mention of it ever. I don't have the need to tow too often but when I do, I'll flash back thanks to your heads up.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
How much towing are we talking about here? Would a jetski be too much?

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
How much towing are we talking about here? Would a jetski be too much?
The person with Ford performance I spoke with said you can not tow with this tune under warranty. I'm only relaying what was told to me. I dont know why it would hurt but I was told no towing. I'm wtg until they change this which is what I was told would be happening in the future.

I'm assuming with this person being a rep of ford performance that they would know, but who knows.

I'm not willing to risk something happening and then have no warranty.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV

What I find interesting is that they must have changed something on the 2021s that requires a corresponding change for the performance tune. I'm wondering what that was? Maybe something to address the fuel in oil issues?

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
What I find interesting is that they must have changed something on the 2021s that requires a corresponding change for the performance tune. I'm wondering what that was? Maybe something to address the fuel in oil issues?
Thought that was interesting also.

Freebird1106

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Physician
Posting here as I am stuck in the 2021 situation. I bought my Truck brand new and the performance package 2 which includes the tune. Procal 4 software won’t read my ecm so I’m pretty upset about spending a grand on a tune I can’t use

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Posting here as I am stuck in the 2021 situation. I bought my Truck brand new and the performance package 2 which includes the tune. Procal 4 software won’t read my ecm so I’m pretty upset about spending a grand on a tune I can’t use
I'd try to sell it to someone with a 2020.

Freebird1106

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Physician
I'd try to sell it to someone with a 2020.
Too late, already registered to my vin. States that it is an “invalid strategy” when it tries to upload my current tune. I have contacted Ford performance to see what they are willing to do as their website mentions nothing about not working on 2021, my dealer knew nothing about this, and my dealer had to give my vin to them when they ordered everything.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I'd call back a different day and speak to someone else, play dumb and see if they give out the same facts or at least get them to confirm

I'm not sure how they would know if you towed either. You can use the tow/haul button and lock it out of 7/8/9/10 and be fine

Also Livernois has a tow tune that is ok for daily driving as well. But if you are playing safe than aftermarket might not work for you
Sponsored

Last edited: