Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Too late, already registered to my vin. States that it is an “invalid strategy” when it tries to upload my current tune. I have contacted Ford performance to see what they are willing to do as their website mentions nothing about not working on 2021, my dealer knew nothing about this, and my dealer had to give my vin to them when they ordered everything.
If I hadn't called ford performance before buying I'd be in the same bad spot as you. ☹
Sponsored

Lucky2013

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 STX Special Edition,
Occupation
Aircraft Master Mechanic
Gas in the oil is a common problem when a fuel injector goes bad = to much fuel is injected and can't be burned.

The same problem can appear if you TOW and you are in a PERFORMANCE TUNE. The computer injects more fuel then the engine can burn because he tries to get the engine reving up = over fueling. You trailer is working against that with his weight, the engine can't rev fast enough up and so there will be unburned fuel in the cyclinder which bypasses the piston rings and dilutes the oil. This can cause all kind of damages from burned valves and pistons to failing O2 sensors and catalytic converters.

Remember that a lot of cars / truck have a air injection which pumps air = O2 into the exhaust to burn excessive fuel which was not burned during the combustion in the cylinder.

I hope I explained that with easy enough words. Sorry english is not my mother tongue.

P.S. This is also the reason why so many people blow up there tuned diesel engines !

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Gas in the oil is a common problem when a fuel injector goes bad = to much fuel is injected and can't be burned.

The same problem can appear if you TOW and you are in a PERFORMANCE TUNE. The computer injects more fuel then the engine can burn because he tries to get the engine reving up = over fueling. You trailer is working against that with his weight, the engine can't rev fast enough up and so there will be unburned fuel in the cyclinder which bypasses the piston rings and dilutes the oil. This can cause all kind of damages from burned valves and pistons to failing O2 sensors and catalytic converters.

Remember that a lot of cars / truck have a air injection which pumps air = O2 into the exhaust to burn excessive fuel which was not burned during the combustion in the cylinder.

I hope I explained that with easy enough words. Sorry english is not my mother tongue.

P.S. This is also the reason why so many people blow up there tuned diesel engines !
And this is likely why ford performance says you can not tow with their tune.

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
I have a 2020 and installed a Ford Performance tune. I really like it. Can I tow with a 2020 with a tune? Thanks!! I have a wakeboard boat that I will pull short distances.

OP
OP
Bt_ostate

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
I have a 2020 and installed a Ford Performance tune. I really like it. Can I tow with a 2020 with a tune? Thanks!! I have a wakeboard boat that I will pull short distances.
I wouldn't without calling ford erformance first. I was told no by them. And the above posts explain the damage you can do and why. I'm not doing the tune now until they have one that is also designed for towing.

The ford tune should be done on street trucks not those being used as trucks based on my info from ford performance and info like above, but that's only my conclusion after researching the subject matter.

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I have a 2019 with the FPP tune and chatted with Ford Performance customer support. Here is my takeaway -- keep in mind that all of this information is unofficial until FPP makes a statement one way or another.

1. FPP rep said that while they haven't seen any issues to date with the tune and towing, they do not recommend towing with the tune until an upcoming update is released, which will be around the same time the '21+ tunes are available.
  2. Rep did not bring up that towing with the tune would void the warranty -- probably still a gray area. I assume FPP would be in legal dookie if they didn't honor the warranty after towing, since the product announcements and installation literature for the 2019 and 2020 trucks made no mention whatsoever of this limitation to towing.
  3. The update for the '19 and '20 tunes supposedly will be free of charge to existing owners of the tune.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2019 with the FPP tune and chatted with Ford Performance customer support. Here is my takeaway -- keep in mind that all of this information is unofficial until FPP makes a statement one way or another.

1. FPP rep said that while they haven't seen any issues to date with the tune and towing, they do not recommend towing with the tune until an upcoming update is released, which will be around the same time the '21+ tunes are available.
  2. Rep did not bring up that towing with the tune would void the warranty -- probably still a gray area. I assume FPP would be in legal dookie if they didn't honor the warranty after towing, since the product announcements and installation literature for the 2019 and 2020 trucks made no mention whatsoever of this limitation to towing.
  3. The update for the '19 and '20 tunes supposedly will be free of charge to existing owners of the tune.
As long as they don’t de tune my tune...

Carnage

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger

I have the FP tune on my 2020. Any idea when these free updates will be available?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
If you get the tune and change your tire size, do you get any literature to prove you changed the size? I tried to go plus one at my local shop and they won’t unless it matches the door jam sticker.

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I have the FP tune on my 2020. Any idea when these free updates will be available?
The representative didn't state a definitive timeframe but said some time in the immediate future.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If you get the tune and change your tire size, do you get any literature to prove you changed the size? I tried to go plus one at my local shop and they won’t unless it matches the door jam sticker.
You could plug in the tuner and let them watch you change it.

Or, as I would do, order online and install yourself. Or find a different shop.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
The representative didn't state a definitive timeframe but said some time in the immediate future.
In Ford speak that translates to September 23rd, 2022.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
You could plug in the tuner and let them watch you change it.

Or, as I would do, order online and install yourself. Or find a different shop.
That’s my next step. I can’t believe they won’t adjust sizes anymore.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
That’s my next step. I can’t believe they won’t adjust sizes anymore.
It's all about litigation. They won't rotate tires properly on a FWD car anymore either.
Sponsored