Ford Performance Tune - just installed, very pleased!

Wang.S

Banned
Banned
First Name
Wang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5G
Occupation
Tech
Your original warranty is intact and won't suffer from the install of the tune, but the caveat remains that it cant be caused by the tune itself. Nor do you get any extra value added to the warranty.
Your tune components, material and workmanship come with a 3/36 warranty calculated by the manufacture date of the vehicle.
Meaning if you installed it from new, the tune components will have the full 3/36.
If you install the tune at 35 months and 35000 miles, you only have a month and 1000 miles warranty on the tune components, material and workmanship.

Its all pretty much here, but open to interpretation and sad faces by many who thought otherwise.

1692014648388.png
Sponsored

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Your original warranty is intact and won't suffer from the install of the tune, but the caveat remains that it cant be caused by the tune itself. Nor do you get any extra value added to the warranty.
Your tune components, material and workmanship come with a 3/36 warranty calculated by the manufacture date of the vehicle.
Meaning if you installed it from new, the tune components will have the full 3/36.
If you install the tune at 35 months and 35000 miles, you only have a month and 1000 miles warranty on the tune components, material and workmanship.

Its all pretty much here, but open to interpretation and sad faces by many who thought otherwise.

1692014648388.png
That is not correct, it's from the original sale date/mileage of the vehicle. So, if the vehicle was test driven a lot and had 900 miles on it when you bought it 13 months after it was built, the warranty is from the purchase date and mileage at the time of purchase, not from 0 miles on manufacture date.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired

bbeverag

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Does the tune mesh with the ESP? I can't imagine Ford ever really saying their own tune was the cause of a problem, that would be a quick way to kill confidence in it. If I have a 10/100000 ESP AND a tune, is my engine still going to be covered (assuming the tune wasn't the cause of the failure)?

DranC

First Name
Drandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Healthcare Corp Analyst
Folks,

My last Ranger had a stage 2 tune from Gearhead on it. For a variety of reasons, this time around, I went with the Ford Performance tune. Purchased the kit from Levittown Ford with a discount coupon for just over $700 shipped to my door.

According to Ford Performance, the kit has an additional 3yr/36000mi warranty if it is installed by a Ford dealer or an ASE Certified/Red Seal Certified technician (I need to submit the paperwork on Monday) By trade, I am a heavy equipment field mechanic with over 12yrs of field experience. With certain exceptions, I don't pay people to do things on my vehicles that I know how to do - especially installing a calibration update that takes less than 30min. So, to retain the Ford Performance warranty, I took the ASE G1 (maintenance and light repair) exam on Saturday and passed - I already fulfilled the work requirement. So, as soon as my ASE credentials became official later that day, I installed the tune 😁

Current vehicle modifications:
Magnaflow 12577 muffler in place of OEM muffler
Mishimoto hot/cold side piping kit
Turbosmart plumb-back BOV
K&N air filter (part of the Ford kit)

Initial impressions: the power increase is very noticable and smooth. The improved shift strategy is well refined - in my opinion, the truck should have come with this shift strategy from the factory. The power delivery off the line is excellent and not abrupt.

I have only logged 20+ miles with the FP tune installed, but thus far, I'm enjoying it. Is it the most powerful tune out there - no. However, it is smooth, powerful, and well refined. Exactly what I wanted.

The install process is straightforward with easy to follow directions.

If you're looking for a solid power increase and an excellent shift strategy, this tune accomplishes both.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Screenshot_20230812-154746.png
I did this as well several months ago. I too am pleased..

bbeverag

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Might have to give that a try, thanks.
Just remember you will need 91 octane for the tune. When I checked gasbuddy.com for my area, it looks like it is 13.5% more expensive today, so you would need about 2.5mpg to make it worth it from a miles per dollar standpoint. I understand the fun and satisfaction of the tune may outweigh the additional cost for premium fuel.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Just remember you will need 91 octane for the tune. When I checked gasbuddy.com for my area, it looks like it is 13.5% more expensive today, so you would need about 2.5mpg to make it worth it from a miles per dollar standpoint. I understand the fun and satisfaction of the tune may outweigh the additional cost for premium fuel.
Out my way, 91 is usually just under 10% more, but definitely more. I run 91 octane mostly as summer temps here can be triple digits.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
Does the tune mesh with the ESP? I can't imagine Ford ever really saying their own tune was the cause of a problem, that would be a quick way to kill confidence in it. If I have a 10/100000 ESP AND a tune, is my engine still going to be covered (assuming the tune wasn't the cause of the failure)?
I don’t know if anyone knows for sure. A lot of confident opinions, but I don’t know if ford has ever clarified.

aaiceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Has anyone posted MPG for this under 89 vs 91 Octane? I have read that you can use 89 with this, it just doesn't give the full benefit. I have no idea what the details of that would be and am very curious.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Just a FYI on a fine point of the FPT:
Source: 2019-2023 RANGER ECOBOOST POWER PACK PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION

"Tire size configurable up to a maximum diameter equivalent to a 265/70R17 tire as recommended with the M-18000-R Ranger Off-Road Suspension Leveling Kit "

The tuning device has a "maintenance" mnue item to let you tell the tune what size wheel/tire combo you are running... but only goes up top the above limit (which is 660 revs per mile). Bigger tire/wheel combos (like mine... 650 revs per mile) can be entered but the system ignores them, leaving your speedo reading higher than you are actually going (3 mph in my case).

OP
OP
philosopheriam

philosopheriam

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Supercrew 4x4 Lariat, Splash Edition
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic
I had my FPT installed about three months after purchase and it has been flawless with all the power I need. I had no problems with my dealer and the install charge was $112.00. The dealer service rep even let me speak to the tech doing the install before he started. Maybe my dealer is the exception to all the bad, clueless dealers we hear about on this site. 🤷‍♂️
I'm glad you found an informed, fair dealer! $112 is cheap!

OP
OP
philosopheriam

philosopheriam

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If MPG and the increased cost of premium fuel are major concerns to a Ranger owner, my recommendation would be to leave the truck stock. When it comes to performance, one adage rings true - you pay to play. This is especially true for those who run aftermarket tunes that are unrefined and push their engines past reasonable limits.

OP
OP
philosopheriam

philosopheriam

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Has anyone posted MPG for this under 89 vs 91 Octane? I have read that you can use 89 with this, it just doesn't give the full benefit. I have no idea what the details of that would be and am very curious.
Ford Performance states 91 is the minimum octane required to run their tune. When you play games with spark knock on turbocharged engines, you can often end up getting the short end of the stick.

Wang.S

Banned
Banned
First Name
Wang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5G
Occupation
Tech
That is not correct, it's from the original sale date/mileage of the vehicle. So, if the vehicle was test driven a lot and had 900 miles on it when you bought it 13 months after it was built, the warranty is from the purchase date and mileage at the time of purchase, not from 0 miles on manufacture date.
Semantics, I was trying to say alot in as little as possible with only minutes online, but you get my point.
Sponsored