Just installed the Ford Performance Tune...

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
...and wow this really wakes the truck up!

So I had this installed by the dealer. Does this mean I can run other 3rd party tunes.... and if something happens I can just reprogram to the Ford tune and still maintain my warranty? Asking for a friend.
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

So I had this installed by the dealer. Does this mean I can run other 3rd party tunes.... and if something happens I can just reprogram to the Ford tune and still maintain my warranty? Asking for a friend.
If you run other 3rd party tunes, that means you would have to flash your truck back to stock, buy the new 3rd party tune for 600+ and then flash the new tune on the truck. In addition, if your goal was to keep warranty as you said you had it installed by dealer, the dealer would also know by the computer it is different RPMS, etc than the FP tune. Considering all the other tunes push output by 1.5x more than the FP tune. Grats on the FP tune though, it's a real conservative one that draws safe power and I love it. When warranty runs out, consider a different tune. That is my route, and Livernois will be my choice.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

There is a counter that keeps track of the last time the ECU was flashed. When the FP tune is installed and is registered it is in the Ford database against your vin. If you start flashing other tunes and even go back to stock the dealer will see that there has been unauthorized changes made to the ECU and depending on the nature of the warranty claim it could be denied if it is determined that it was caused by the ECU changes.

If you are risk adverse and having a warranty is important don't put an aftermarket tune on your vehicle.

That being said I have been driving turbo vehicles continuously for 35+ years and everyone of the has been tuned and I never had a powertrain failure. My 17 Ecoboost Mustang with the FP tune was the first that was not aftermarket.

OP
OP
Dinglehead

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
There is a counter that keeps track of the last time the ECU was flashed. When the FP tune is installed and is registered it is in the Ford database against your vin. If you start flashing other tunes and even go back to stock the dealer will see that there has been unauthorized changes made to the ECU and depending on the nature of the warranty claim it could be denied if it is determined that it was caused by the ECU changes.

If you are risk adverse and having a warranty is important don't put an aftermarket tune on your vehicle.

That being said I have been driving turbo vehicles continuously for 35+ years and everyone of the has been tuned and I never had a powertrain failure. My 17 Ecoboost Mustang with the FP tune was the first that was not aftermarket.
Excellent info - thank you very much.

But yea even though this one is "conservative" it's still pretty great! Everyone that says that this is how it should have come from the factory are completely right.

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
I did mine a couple of months ago, the dealer said it needs about 500 miles to relearn your driving habit, it only gets better and better.
Sponsored