OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I wonder if that's your issue. The cones are attached to the hood with the pointed end facing the deflector. Those are its "supports" and keeps it from vibrating. They go in specific places on the hood. The deflector itself has these marked via stickers when you install so you see exactly where to place them. The rubber pointed side should be touching the deflector.
That could be it! Thanks and I will mention this to Ford. I told them earlier today I thought it might be installed wrong but they said they have installed thousands of them... apparently thousands the wrong way. Thanks for catching that!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Would you happen to have a picture of yours so I can show them what it is supposed to look like?

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Not in hand that would show the backside. However I did find this installation video. Granted it is not a Ranger but an F150. I installed mine myself and the install procedure is the exact same. Notice near the end of the video about how the rubber cones are attached and how they are marked on the deflector.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took these for you. Not the best pics since it's dark out.

20200224_194240.jpg

20200224_194222.jpg

20200224_194214.jpg

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem! Glad to help or at least get you pointed in the right direction. I'm betting that's your issue without the back support on the top edge. Since the cones are installed wrong and not touching, its causing the deflector edge to vibrate and whistle at higher speeds.

OP
OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
No problem! Glad to help or at least get you pointed in the right direction. I'm betting that's your issue without the back support on the top edge. Since the cones are installed wrong and not touching, its causing the deflector edge to vibrate and whistle at higher speeds.

Update on the bug deflector. Ford was unable to fix it and told me a new one wouldn't help. They did agree to give me 42,000 ford points because of all of the trouble (hopefully I actually get them) The bug deflector is currently sitting in the garbage at the local ford dealership. They told me they install of their deflectors with the cone on the back of the deflectors. Going to try a different brand

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on the bug deflector. Ford was unable to fix it and told me a new one wouldn't help. They did agree to give me 42,000 ford points because of all of the trouble (hopefully I actually get them) The bug deflector is currently sitting in the garbage at the local ford dealership. They told me they install of their deflectors with the cone on the back of the deflectors. Going to try a different brand
That's too bad! At least they gave you points for it! Hopefully a new brand will get you sorted.

Still disagree with them on their install procedure. With the cones backwards and not touching that could definitely cause your whistle.....Ford disagrees as well. Not that it does you any good now but here is a pic I just took from the instructions for future owners.

20200310_135823.jpg

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
That's too bad! At least they gave you points for it! Hopefully a new brand will get you sorted.

Still disagree with them on their install procedure. With the cones backwards and not touching that could definitely cause your whistle.....Ford disagrees as well. Not that it does you any good now but here is a pic I just took from the instructions for future owners.

20200310_135823.jpg
So I actually put my cones on with the sticky part attached to the deflector itself. I only did that so it doesn't mess up the paint for some reason (my luck it would, somehow). Anyways no problems putting the cones the other way 9,500 miles later.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
No issues with the AVS Bug deflector

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Putting the cone on the deflector means it'll rub a spot in the paint on your truck. That's the reason the instruction show the cone stuck on the truck.

Wondering why the dealer, and others, don't follow directions? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Putting the cone on the deflector means it'll rub a hole in the paint on your truck.

Wondering why the dealer, and others, don't follow directions?
I completely agree with you. They don't follow the directions and then get defensive when it is mentioned that it is installed incorrectly. If only the dealership could just own up to their mistakes and correct them so they don't happen again.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I got the weather tech one. It fits perfect, and haven't heard any noise, but haven't been over 75 with it yet. Just in case you end up looking for a replacement.

20200312_091745.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I got the weather tech one. It fits perfect, and haven't heard any noise, but haven't been over 75 with it yet. Just in case you end up looking for a replacement.
Thanks for posting the photo! That really looks good the way it is contoured to it the hood... yet doesn't have a big aero-wing lip on the back of it.

Although WeatherTech doesn't even show a picture of the hood protector on an actual "Ranger hood" ?

WeatherTech 2019 Ford Ranger Hood Protector
Sponsored

Last edited: