Ford oem bug deflector

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I recently had ford install a bug deflector and now whenever I go over 60mph, there is a loud, high pitch whistle. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't think I have a choice but to remove it and try to find a different brand. Just assumed it would work fine on my truck considering it is a Ford product.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I recently had ford install a bug deflector and now whenever I go over 60mph, there is a loud, high pitch whistle. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't think I have a choice but to remove it and try to find a different brand. Just assumed it would work fine on my truck considering it is a Ford product.
Hi Tyler,

You might see if you have a sharp edge, like molding flash...if so, remove it with a file or sandpaper and retest...if that does not work you are likely going to have to try another design... Bet Ford Engineering did not have any input or testing of this offering by Ford Parts and Service....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
I have this one on mine. First one broke apart @ 50mph, replacement has been ok with no whistle... so far anyway... may also check to be sure the mounting clips are flush against the hood.

OP
OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Tyler,

You might see if you have a sharp edge, like molding flash...if so, remove it with a file or sandpaper and retest...if that does not work you are likely going to have to try another design... Bet Ford Engineering did not have any input or testing of this offering by Ford Parts and Service....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I checked the deflector but did not see any sharp edges. Thanks for the reply

OP
OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I have this one on mine. First one broke apart @ 50mph, replacement has been ok with no whistle... so far anyway... may also check to be sure the mounting clips are flush against the hood.
I tried bending the clips in a touch which held the bug deflector closer to the hood. Hopefully it helps. I'm going to have Ford look at it this week and hopefully replace it if they can't fix it. Seems like mine is the only one I have heard of that whistles super loud

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I tried bending the clips in a touch which held the bug deflector closer to the hood. Hopefully it helps. I'm going to have Ford look at it this week and hopefully replace it if they can't fix it. Seems like mine is the only one I have heard of that whistles super loud
Post up a photo...that way folks here will know which deflector you have and thus can provide some input.

If it were mine I'd tape a shop rag at the far left of the deflector and go for a drive... keep moving the rag and test driving until you find where the whistle is coming from.

OP
OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Post up a photo...that way folks here will know which deflector you have and thus can provide some input.

If it were mine I'd tape a shop rag at the far left of the deflector and go for a drive... keep moving the rag and test driving until you find where the whistle is coming from.
I am not near my truck to take a photo of my exact setup but I attached a photo of the bug deflector I'm having trouble with. Bending the clips in did not work. Still a high pitch sound but now even at lower speeds. I will have to try the rag idea.

20200223_182852.jpg

OP
OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Maybe a built in animal warning system.
Haha sure seems like it! Took it on a 4 hour trip with friends this weekend and I'm pretty none of them will be riding in my truck until it is fixed. Not even the radio could drown out the noise. Saves miles not taking my truck next road trip!!

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Haha sure seems like it! Took it on a 4 hour trip with friends this weekend and I'm pretty none of them will be riding in my truck until it is fixed. Not even the radio could drown out the noise. Saves miles not taking my truck next road trip!!
Why does the edges of the deflector look like it overlaps the fender and not stuck onto he hood. Is it really like that?

Bob Mac arthur

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat shadow black FX4 501A. TRAILER TOW PACKAGE
Occupation
Retired
I have the same one on my ranger no issues

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Why does the edges of the deflector look like it overlaps the fender and not stuck onto he hood. Is it really like that?
The OEM deflector is the style that uses stand off clips vs a 3M application, so it does not sit flush on the hood.

To the OP, I have this same one and have had it on since August. I wonder what is up with yours, did you install the rubber support cones? Mine has been rock solid and no vibrations or whistles. I am mainly doing 'burb runs but I have taken her on a couple 6hr round trips and no issues.

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a built in animal warning system.
I think mine must be broken then. A crow killed itself the first week of having mine installed. Flew right into my deflector and got stuck. Good thing was the deflector won the battle and not a scratch.

OP
OP

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
The OEM deflector is the style that uses stand off clips vs a 3M application, so it does not sit flush on the hood.

To the OP, I have this same one and have had it on since August. I wonder what is up with yours, did you install the rubber support cones? Mine has been rock solid and no vibrations or whistles. I am mainly doing 'burb runs but I have taken her on a couple 6hr round trips and no issues.
Ford used clips to install it and there are black, rubber cones on the back of the deflector that are barely touching my hood. They are hopefully going to replace it this week so fingers crossed on the new one. Glad to hear none of you are having problems!!

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Ford used clips to install it and there are black, rubber cones on the back of the deflector that are barely touching my hood. They are hopefully going to replace it this week so fingers crossed on the new one. Glad to hear none of you are having problems!!
I wonder if that's your issue. The cones are attached to the hood with the pointed end facing the deflector. Those act as "supports" (in addition to the clips) and keeps it from vibrating. They go in specific places on the hood. The deflector itself has these marked via stickers when you install so you see exactly where to place them. The rubber pointed side should be touching the deflector.

Sounds like the tech installed it incorrectly.
Sponsored