First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
I don't understand the question. Given what you've presented, why would you not go with a dealer installed OEM TBC?
Is the Ford unit, installed by a dealer, my best choice?

Thanks!
Sponsored

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Your wisdom.please.. I read this entire string..

In my 2021 lariat with tow package.. Is getting the Ford controller and having the dealer install my best choice for a factory like and full function end result?

I dont want to do it myself and really prefer to keep the new Tremor OEM unless there is a significant benefit not to.

Your learning and advice is appreciated.
Yes. Self install is not for the faint at heart. The RedArc controller is a great system too. Also, Id' imagine that certain "warranty" items might have issues being covered if you don't use the OEM version.

YES, you can use whatever controller you want, and may never have an issue with it. But there could be that one instance where you are towing 7k and someone in front of you while going 65MPH slams on their brakes, and you happen to be on your phone, so you don't see it fast enough to react, before the truck reacts, and the brakes on the trailer don't engage fast enough. So suddenly you've got 7,000 LBS of force pushing your truck into the car in front of you. Just because a half second delay occurred before you hit the brakes. Insurance will take a quick look at that, and any damage will be on you.

That's all just hypothetical... But I'd rather not spare a couple hundred $$$ to risk it. (Though, I will install it myself and document the process because I feel comfortable doing so.)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Your wisdom.please.. I read this entire string..

In my 2021 lariat with tow package.. Is getting the Ford controller and having the dealer install my best choice for a factory like and full function end result?

I dont want to do it myself and really prefer to keep the new Tremor OEM unless there is a significant benefit not to.

Your learning and advice is appreciated.
Just tell them to throw the install in as a condition of the sale and see what they say. They might even throw the whole thing in if they are making good money on the sale. It's "OEM" only in that it ads a not OEM looking knob in an inconvenient spot. I actually much prefer my P3 because it comes out without removing anything.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's "OEM" only in that it ads a not OEM looking knob in an inconvenient spot. I actually much prefer my P3 because it comes out without removing anything.
It's OEM because it's the only in-cab solution that I'm aware of that ties into the brake light rather than the brake pedal, using an OEM-specified module in addition to the TBC.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's OEM because it's the only in-cab solution that I'm aware of that ties into the brake light rather than the brake pedal, using an OEM-specified module in addition to the TBC.
Yes, mostly true... It's ALSO a newer version of the controller itself. I bought the RedArc last year, installed it and then moved that one to my dads vehicle and have the official Ford one for mine. The controller is one that is slightly different than what's on RedArcs website and is a newer "firmware version". So, I decided to just use the whole kit in order to have the best compatibility. I think I made a post earlier about the differences and pics. More info and teardown of the OEM module Ford licensed TBC Install Instructions | Page 6 | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, mostly true... It's ALSO a newer version of the controller itself. I bought the RedArc last year, installed it and then moved that one to my dads vehicle and have the official Ford one for mine. The controller is one that is slightly different than what's on RedArcs website and is a newer "firmware version". So, I decided to just use the whole kit in order to have the best compatibility. I think I made a post earlier about the differences and pics. Lemme see if I can find it.
I don't know that there's any reason you couldn't run the output of the OEM module into any TBC, but you can't get it without buying the redarc so I don't think anyone has even tried.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The funny part is none of the aftermarket options have picked it up yet and built a module that taps the brake light under the dash and turns the PWM brake signal into a steady signal. a $.13 8083 microcontroller could to that with about 7 lines of code and 1 transistor. (which is probably what is inside fords grey box that happens to have plugs instead of taps.)

Per above post from @VAMike, can someone tell me where to find the signal under the dash for the rear brake light, I'll build a module that does exactly the same thing and uses the same wires under the dash.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The funny part is none of the aftermarket options have picked it up yet and built a module that taps the brake light under the dash and turns the PWM brake signal into a steady signal. a $.13 8083 microcontroller could to that with about 7 lines of code and 1 transistor. (which is probably what is inside fords grey box that happens to have plugs instead of taps.)
I'd say that a lot of the aftermarket companies don't want to deal with the "risk" of that. And it's a pretty small market segment. idk, a lot of variables here. I've been happy with the old RedArc at least.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd say that a lot of the aftermarket companies don't want to deal with the "risk" of that. And it's a pretty small market segment. idk, a lot of variables here. I've been happy with the old RedArc at least.
Ford certainly isn't the only manufacturer that has AEB and has towing vehicles though. I would guess they are all doing it with basically the same setup.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford certainly isn't the only manufacturer that has AEB and has towing vehicles though. I would guess they are all doing it with basically the same setup.
maybe the others thought of this before they started production and simply have the system output the proper signal to the wire under the dash. ford clearly did this as an afterthought because they f'd up, not because it was ideal.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Is the Ford unit, installed by a dealer, my best choice?

Thanks!
Short answer: YES. It is a nice Redarc trailer brake controller with a module to work with your automated braking system.

It is your best option for a complete solution for a TBC on the Ranger.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Rocinante

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4 302A, '99 BMW K1200RS
This popped up on my YouTube feed the other day (not really sure why as I haven’t even been in the market for a TBC), but figured maybe it’s worth a watch for some of you trying to do an install. He talks about installing on a Ranger without the factory tow package installed and the differences. Also has some other good info for trucks with the factory tow package and why it might not be a good idea to splice into the brake wire from the brake peddle.

Sorry if it’s already been posted...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-install-instructions.5971/page-2#post-105637

I'm just using this wire and a diode. Two wires are feeding my Redarc, the "right" brake signal wire and my diode wire. I'm not using that crazy add-on module.
Lets talk about this, it says in your picture that the Lariat is non-PWM whereas the XLT is PWM. Is yours a lariat? If so, I may still build a box that takes any PWM signal and closes a solid state relay to +12V.

I'll also tie it in with the physical brake signal so there's no mistake when the brakes are pushed.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Lets talk about this, it says in your picture that the Lariat is non-PWM whereas the XLT is PWM. Is yours a lariat? If so, I may still build a box that takes any PWM signal and closes a solid state relay to +12V.

I'll also tie it in with the physical brake signal so there's no mistake when the brakes are pushed.
Prob need a capacitor on the switched side to smooth the PWM as well.
Sponsored